Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
RCM

Default 56 Ford floor panels

Guys, I havent been here a lot, but I want to share this with you. I posted it on the Hambs 52-59 Ford Social Group.
Might help someone as only metal forming hand tools were used: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...1058643/page-2
Regards
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: 56 Ford floor panels

Great work Rui!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
frank long island

I remember doing that to my wagon but I also replaced the rockers and patched the braces as the ends were gone the wood templates are a great idea your work looks great keep up the good work
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
RCM

Thanks guys.
The whole idea is explained here: http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...ht=floor+patch
Not my credit, I just followed the lead =)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
bobss396

There's a guy from Portugal doing the same thing on the HAMB '52-'59 Ford Forum... what a coincidence....
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
Daves55Sedan

I just had to replace front passenger side floor and a portion of the foot riser panel. I used a flat piece of 18 ga metal for the floorpan and cut out two large round holes at the location of the floor-to-frame bolts. Wrapped a piece of metal around the hole and welded a washer at the bottom to make up the recess for the bolt head. I did not do the stiffener recesses (since nobody ever uses the passenger side anyway) and also I did not overlap my floor panel over a portion of the old floor. I elected to weld it on flush with the existing floor using temporary fitting tabs in some places and permanent ones in other places underneath.
I intend to show photo's of the project including inner & outer rocker panel cutouts & repair, rear wheelhouse rust cutout and rebuilding, rear quarter panel cutoff and replacement, rear of trunk floor and tailpan rustout cutout and repair at a later time.
Like you, I also have only crude hand tools (hand shears, old jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade, hammer and mig welding outfit).

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 06-14-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #7
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
There's a guy from Portugal doing the same thing on the HAMB '52-'59 Ford Forum... what a coincidence....
Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #8
RCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I just had to replace front passenger side floor and a portion of the foot riser panel. I used a flat piece of 18 ga metal for the floorpan and cut out two large round holes at the location of the floor-to-frame bolts. Wrapped a piece of metal around the hole and welded a washer at the bottom to make up the recess for the bolt head. I did not do the stiffener recesses (since nobody ever uses the passenger side anyway) and also I did not overlap my floor panel over a portion of the old floor. I elected to weld it on flush with the existing floor using temporary fitting tabs in some places and permanent ones in other places underneath.
I intend to show photo's of the project including inner & outer rocker panel cutouts & repair, rear wheelhouse rust cutout and rebuilding, rear quarter panel cutoff and replacement, rear of trunk floor and tailpan rustout cutout and repair at a later time.
Like you, I also have only crude hand tools (hand shears, old jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade, hammer and mig welding outfit).
Yeah... I'm also repairing the rear quarter panels and last night I finished the area where the license plate lamp goes in. I havent yet finished the interiors 'cause I'm in a hurry to return the Mig welder to a friend that I borrowed it from. Have to finish welding, grinding and pin-hole rewelding until Sunday.
Keep at it