Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
Oldford59

Default New Ring Gear Installed

Touching base on ring gear installed.
Reading previous posts does it make sense to spend some extra time and pin ring gear at 3 locations with set screws to prevent walking off flywheel.
Oldford59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: New Ring Gear Installed

New ring gear should not in my opinion. I shrunk fit a replacement.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
chrs1961815

Depends if you are eunning a 12 volt system. If so the starter beats the hell out of it and it will move forward. Stock it should stay put.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Depends if you are eunning a 12 volt system. If so the starter beats the hell out of it and it will move forward. Stock it should stay put.
I have been running 12v for years and I have never had it "beat the hell out of it".

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
I have been running 12v for years and I have never had it "beat the hell out of it".
x2, never had a problem after twenty years with 12v
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #6
jack backer
BANNED

Not only 12v but running a 6 v starter.. and a modern Bendix..
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
Fhane

If 12 Volts oi so hard on the ring gear, starter and Bendix, why not just stay with 6 Volts?
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #8
nkaminar

The ring gear is a tight shrink fit on the flywheel. I cannot see where it can move even with running a 6 volt starter on 12 volts. But the gear teeth can get chipped. Convert the starter over to 12 volt with 12 volt field windings or buy a 12 volt starter.

People in the Model T world use a resistor in series with the 6 volt starter running on 12 volts to reduce the torque. They use a spare Bendix spring as the resistor. I suspect the impedance of the coiled spring helps too. Putting a large iron part inside the coil would increase the impedance.

I just installed a new ring gear on my flywheel for my Burtz engine. I had to heat it up on my gas grill for a while to get it really hot and then work quickly. I used a brass hammer.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-01-2022 at 06:09 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #9
Synchro909

Running a 6v starter on 12v is asking for trouble. Not only does it give the ring gear a hard time but the starter won't take it. There are many who say it does - and they do, for a while. I recently converted my brother in law's starter to 12v after it had been running on 12v for too long. Just like the original 1/2" shafts couldn't take 6v, the 5/8" shaft couldn't take 12v and was bent. For the life of me, I can't understand why anybody does it.
As for staying on 6v, that's fine if you never go far from home. Try being in a small town miles from anywhere and the coil fails. Try getting a 6v coil. Same goes for light globes, battery etc and try running a GPS or CB radio or dash cam etc on 6v. We are on 12v and do all of those things with ease.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #10
Tom Endy

I am of the opinion that there are some reproduction starter rings around that are too big. A number of years ago I had a new starter ring gear installed at a machine shop for my 6-volt Victoria when I had the flywheel balanced and the surface cleaned up. Soon after it started walking off to the front until it finally jammed. I had to take the starter off and tap it back against the stop. it continued to do this until I finally pulled the flywheel off and took it back to the machine shop and had it pinned.

Since then, I have all starter rings pinned on any Model A I have been involved with. It certainly can't hurt anything, and it is good insurance that it is not going to walk off.

Henry did not think this one out too well, he should have put the stop in front instead of behind.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I am of the opinion that there are some reproduction starter rings around that are too big. A number of years ago I had a new starter ring gear installed at a machine shop for my 6-volt Victoria when I had the flywheel balanced and the surface cleaned up. Soon after it started walking off to the front until it finally jammed. I had to take the starter off and tap it back against the stop. it continued to do this until I finally pulled the flywheel off and took it back to the machine shop and had it pinned.

Since then, I have all starter rings pinned on any Model A I have been involved with. It certainly can't hurt anything, and it is good insurance that it is not going to walk off.

Henry did not think this one out too well, he should have put the stop in front instead of behind.

Tom Endy
I agree 110% and have been criticised for it. It seems some think Henry could do no wrong but I have a list as long as my arm.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:33 PM   #12
Dodge

You can also use loctite "wicking" loctite made for assembled pieces.
That will help keep it in place.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:20 AM   #13
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
People in the Model T world use a resistor in series with the 6 volt starter running on 12 volts to reduce the torque. They use a spare Bendix spring as the resistor. I suspect the impedance of the coiled spring helps too. Putting a large iron part inside the coil would increase the impedance.
I don't want to hi jack the thread, but does popping a Bendix spring in series really work???? I cannot understand how a Bendix coil could really help... welding rod wire with suffient resistance yes, but 12 inch or so of thick low resistance steel made into a coil, hmm yet to be convinced
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote