Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2024, 09:22 PM   #21
miker98038

Default Re: BRAKE THEORY 001 - H.A.M.Bone

Correct Kultulz. But the valve had no way to reset, short of possibly dis assembly from the back. We had the centering tool, but there was no indication we could use it. It was interesting that the replacement valve he bought had a rubber cover on the front to allow reset. It’s not my first rodeo with those things, which is why I don’t like them except in oem applications.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:29 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: BRAKE THEORY 001 - H.A.M.Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

Correct Kultulz.

But the valve had no way to reset, short of possibly dis assembly from the back. We had the centering tool, but there was no indication we could use it.

It was interesting that the replacement valve he bought had a rubber cover on the front to allow reset. It’s not my first rodeo with those things, which is why I don’t like them except in oem applications.
If the PDV is off-center before and/or after service bleeding, it can be centralized by a bleeding method(s). It has to be centered before bleeding as you will drive yourself crazy if not. See if the attachments below show -

If there is what appears to be a rubber plug on the front of a COMBINATION VALVE, that is the METERING VALVE section of the COMBINATION VALVE.

All of this varies by application and design (and there are many).

Unless the system is OEM, there is no need for a COMBINATION VALVE with PDV included (IMO). All you need for valving in a DISC/DRUM swap is a METERING VALVE (and this will vary) and (as bad as I hate to say it) a so-called ADJ PPV (as there is really no other choice) ...

EDIT - 17FEB2024 - Well there is but it is scare and very expensive ...

One must understand the theory and use of an ADJ PPV as they can flat bust your a$$.

FORD and GM have many design differences. You have to know what period/style system you are working with.

I will now pass the collection plate. Please turn to page 23 in your hymn book and sing along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDV - CENTERING.jpg (20.5 KB, 4 views)

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-17-2024 at 08:50 PM. Reason: ADD INFO
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:39 PM   #23
KULTULZ

Cool Re: BRAKE THEORY 001 - H.A.M.Bone

I think what makes this all hard to understand is the terminology used by different manufacturers and/or vendors as to what is what and to what time periods valving was used regarding differing system(s) (that and one hell of a lot of disinformation).

FORD says tomato and GM says tomatoe.

Kit vendors are pushing off-shore crap that has no business being installed on an on-road car.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 01-27-2024, 12:35 AM   #24
KULTULZ

See if any of this helps -

https://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/brake-facts

When you decide on a kit with GM parts, you are using a completely differently designed system, especially if D154 LOW DRAG CALIPERS are included.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:20 PM   #25
KULTULZ

Red face Re: BRAKE THEORY 001 - H.A.M.Bone

While CAROUSING WITH MY BROWSER giggling for a SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL I never bought (like a MOE-RON) when they were readily available ...

I came across this GOLDEN OLDIE -

Quote:
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Apr 11, 2010.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-valve.464761/

Can you believe the ignorance then and how it keeps on going after all of these years?

- Metering Valve Diagnosis -

https://www.brakebleeder.com/metering-valve-diagnosis/

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-27-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:37 PM   #26
KULTULZ

REACTION TO AND EXPLANATION of HP MERC LOSS of BRAKES CRASH VIDEO (Video Source In Signature Line) -

https://youtu.be/Z-FqKRHnEBE

Old 02-17-2024, 08:11 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Talking Re: BRAKE THEORY 001 - H.A.M.Bone

- GM COMBINATION VALVE THEORY UPDATE -

ADDED INFO UPDATE -

...dit...dit...dit... To All Listeners And Ships At Sea ... dit...dit...

It is now reported that when the PPV section of a GM STYLE COMBINATION VALVE fails, the correct procedure to correct is not a service part replacement but the removal of the PPV-PDV and the FRONT METERING VALVES. This results in a distribution block that allows 50/50 braking on both front and rear circuits ...

... ...

TO WIT - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=50%2F50+gm...%3DwJb0ASrp9_8

Should I submit this fact breaking news @ H.A.M.Bone?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-17-2024 at 09:03 PM. Reason: ADD INFO