Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default 35 ford juice brake conversion

Hi all & Happy New Year! I've been taking my time on the hydraulic brake conversion as i don't have as much steam @ 73 as i did @ 60 when i got the 35!
Anyway, I'm getting ready to move on to install the '47 Lockheed rear brake assy's & wanted to reverify that I can use my existing mechanical brake rear drums and wheel flanges with the stock '47 Lockheed backing plate assy's. My '35 Stock Drums haven't been cut & look to have minimum miles. I believe previous owner replaced many years ago and didn't put many miles on the car.

I got the 'Early V8 Garage ( Rich ) frame & conversion kit' & 1947 ford master cylinder installed, also new '47 KP's & front Lincoln brakes, all went pretty smooth. I think I'll need to fabricate a remote brake fluid well placed on the firewall as adding fluid under the front seat will be a PIA.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
PeterC

Default Re: 35 ford juice brake conversion

Re "I think I'll need to fabricate a remote brake fluid well placed on the firewall as adding fluid under the front seat will be a PIA.[/QUOTE]" ...

Actually I found checking / adding fluid a MC mounted where the battery formally lived work quite well using the existing floor battery hatch. The battery was then relocated to behind the seat on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0033.jpg (102.7 KB, 46 views)
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Hi all & Happy New Year! I've been taking my time on the hydraulic brake conversion as i don't have as much steam @ 73 as i did @ 60 when i got the 35!
Anyway, I'm getting ready to move on to install the '47 Lockheed rear brake assy's & wanted to reverify that I can use my existing mechanical brake rear drums and wheel flanges with the stock '47 Lockheed backing plate assy's.
'35 REAR drums will accommodate 1-3/4" wide Lockheed brake shoes. Actual '35 rear drums have the multiple circumferential ribs as seen in pics BELOW. They also have the raised nibbies to support the '35 spoke wheels. Drums should work just fine.

Remember.... When you install these drums, CLEAN & DRY axle tapers, as well as the tapered hole in hub! Re-tighten the big axle nut after you've driven 50-100 miles.

Keep us updated, please!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 02-01-2023 at 05:24 AM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:53 PM   #4
AnthonyG

Thx Coop & will do w updates!
Old 02-02-2023, 06:03 PM   #5
AnthonyG

PeterC, beautiful job on ur frame up resto & brake conversion! Urs is custom & u went to a dual master which is great! Having it in the old battery location is great & far enough in front of the seat to add fluid. My kit from Rich’s Early V8 Garage uses a 1947 single master indexed 90 degrees & mounted under the seat on the frame w sub frame supplied. U literally have to remove the seat & have a hole in the floor to put fluid in. Not gonna do that & is why I’ll b designing a remote well firewall mounted!
Thx for the pic of ur set up & resto work! It is a work of art ! I’ll try to post a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 044D6471-C911-49E3-991B-7735AA9B9272.jpeg (38.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by AnthonyG; 02-02-2023 at 06:08 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote