Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #21
Fordors

Default Re: Please tell me what kind of head this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 model-a View Post
Cc?
CC stands for cubic centimeters. In the case of a combustion chamber, knowing the volume in CC's and getting them all close will give a more uniform compression ratio resulting in a smoother, better performing engine.
I mentioned it because that one odd shaped chamber sure seems like it would have a different CR.
With a plexiglass plate over a chamber, sealed with some light grease, and a spark plug installed, you add fluid through a hole in the plate and check the chamber volume. Most sophisticated is to use a burette graduated in CC's, but even a horse syringe or some such thing will work too.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 model-a View Post
Cc?

The head can be set up level and upside down with some long bolts and nuts, a table and a level. You would then measure how many CC's of licquid , antifreeze is the choice, each combustion chamber holds. This is the norm , I guess, to determine compression ratio . A die grinder and stone could be used to make the smallest chamber equal to the largest to equalize the chambers. I guess that that is how the rough cores are sized before shipment. I'm guessing that a slightly odd shaped chamber would qualify as a cosmetic flaw, if they all CC'd the same. If they didn't it would be possible to alter chamber shapes as well.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Benson

From the photo the right side is number 1 as I see it.

1. As I remember Brumfield heads have a rounded shape at bottom of the "heart" unlike the "head with the larger B" or the one "with a large C" which are pointed.

2. the "head with the large B" and "large C" have a pointed shape ... a little like the First Cav Div. patch I wore in 1968.

Looks to me like #1 and #3 are Brumfield shaped chambers and chambers #2 and #4 have the "large B" shape.

Strange ... maybe someone mixed up some core parts in setting up the mold when that head was cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
From what I see I think it is a Model B (1932) head that has a 4.6-1 compression ratio; Model A compression is 4.22. The odd thing I see is that the far left chamber sure looks like a Police head chamber which is a 5.22 ratio. The Model B will have a large letter C cast on top, and the so called Police head will have a letter B cast on.
Anybody else see the odd chamber, or have I gone daft?

Last edited by Benson; 08-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
Fordors

To my eye 1, 2 and 3 are the same configuration, only cyl. number 4 has the longer, pointed Police head type chamber. Hold a sheet of paper on your monitor for a straight edge, no. 2 chamber has the same length as 1 and 3, but there is a different coloration in the carbon giving the appearance of it coming more to a point.
Yes, it does seem as though someone mixed a core when that head was cast. I'll still go on record as saying I would not run it as is, at least without checking the chambers.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #25
Marco Tahtaras

CC 'ing one of my heads.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'm amazed at how much some of you have gleaned from the head pictures!!! Bill W.