Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
jkeesey

Default finally the PA government is seeing the light!

As of today in the state of PA you no longer need 4 pictures of your car to get antique or classic registration! And you can also register your car to an original liscense plate of the same year.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
charlesea

Default Re: finally the PA government is seeing the light!

Sounds like you have a political person that is a friend to the old car hobby. Alabama opened the doors a couple of years ago to license an original tag for our cars. Needless to say the Model A years are very popular as well as any other antiques. Good going for Pa.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
jkeesey

I just talked to the man who proposed its parents. His dad said to him as soon as he got in as a representative to make this happen.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

good news on that

now they need to change back the salvage/ reconstructed title process to the inspection stations the way it used to be.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

PA Is the most screwed up motor vehicle system I know of. They actually make Jersey seem OK. Not just antiques either. How about this? I get my plates in the Ins. company next door to the DMV. I just registered the coupe (4 pictures please!) although I didn't mind the four pics. All things considered, that seemed reasonable. As I said, It isn't the antique stuff that bothered me. It was the having to send the title in to Harrisburg because they have to change the "classification" on it. (More$$$) And what's with these "Couriers"? That's a great little political Gig. "And what do you do for a living?" "Oh I run titles and other stuff to Harrisburg at $30/40 @. I know they have computers and Telephones, and fax machines and printers! So what's with the "Couriers"? And the "Classification" of the titles? And when is Pa gonna come into 2012 with this inspection system? NJ's gone to a two year cycle and I don't see the accident rate going way up because of the extended inspection cycle. Pa's better in so many ways though, I grit my teeth and try to always swear under my breath!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Keith True

As of August 4th,in N.H.we can now use YOM plates both front and rear.For about 10 years we could use them on the front only.I can remember back when it was first introduced,guys were pushing the reps to write it up to allow us to run them front and rear.The reps said to take baby steps,and when any opposition saw that the sky wasn't falling they would go for the plates on both ends.It went exactly as they predicted it would,it breezed right through the house,senate,and the governor signed it into law on June 5th.It is a simple process,the hardest part of it is driving to the DMV in Concord to do it.You register normally,as an antique,then show them your YOM plates.They give you a little certificate to keep in the car.You HAVE to carry an official antique plate in the vehicle at all times.The certification is free.I asked years ago about restored,or painted plates.The answer was,what do we care,as long as they are legible? The only thing they harped on when I talked to them about it on Monday was that the plates be used on original type vehicles.They're not nitpickers,as the DMV guy told me,use your head,you know the difference between a street rod and an antique car.I like it right here in N.H,no titles after 15 years.At 26 years we can now request an antique title,that is really only to make it easier to sell to out of state people.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Dal's Dream Car

Listen to Keith, jkeesey and move to NH! I registered my 29 with a bill of sale and $13 bucks! "Live Free or Die" baby! (unfortunately, that phrase is not on our antique plates, only on the modern ones..)
Dal's Dream Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Ice man

Well I remember when you had to inspect twice a year. And when I became a state inspector well you whould of thought I was some one important. We had to pull all four wheels. check the exhaust system by stalling the engine with a rag in the end of the pipe. And all the windows had to have a sand blast mark on them, even the convertable plastic rear window had to have a factory mark on it. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
sawzall

given time, the state will screw this up too.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Randy in Illinois

Jeff, I wish the other politicians in crook (cook)county were more antique friendly. vehicle stickers for antique cars at $80 dollars a pop is robery!
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
jkeesey

There's a $75 fee for antique titling and another $20 or so in fees. But you can register your car to an original plate. And both the propositions went completely unopposed. The main arguement for the loss of using the 4 picture's was on antiques roadshow your products are worth less when restored so why is it different for your car.