Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #1341
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Bob, thanks for the tip, I appreciate that and I'll get in touch with them. Vic
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1342
fordy_nine

My pleasure, Vic......my Christmas gift to you (and anyone else who needs or wants that info) ...Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #1343
Vic Piano

Yesterday, when I returned from the Hot Rod Breakfast, I found a box that the Postman left. In the box were the water pumps and coil for the '39 LZ that Skip had rebuilt. I immediately embarked on the task of painting the pumps and prepping the block for the install. After several hours (waiting for the paint to dry) it was time for the installation of the pumps. Very quickly it became apparent to me that I am not as limber as I once was nor am I as good a contortionist as I had thought. Additionally, my excessive consumption of Christmas cookies has taken a toll on my already slightly oversized mid section... It took a bit longer to install the pumps as I found it increasingly difficult to position myself, somewhat precariously, across the fender for an extended amount of time... After about a minute or two I was discovering aches in places I hadn't had them before... In spite of all that, I did get the pumps installed. Today I plan to install the distributor and coil and hopefully fire up the LZ and take her for a test drive between the rain drops. More Flathead fun in some liquid Florida Sunshine.

Last edited by Vic Piano; 12-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #1344
Vic Piano

It's Alive!!!

I installed the distributor (that Bubba rebuilt) and the coil (that Skip rebuilt) in the '39 LZ yesterday and, after some priming to get the fuel pump flowing, she fired up and ran smoother then ever however, I did not get a chance to take her for a "test drive" as liquid sunshine was falling most of the afternoon. Maybe today (on my lunch hour) I'll get a chance to go for a drive.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #1345
Vic Piano

Seeing Double

I got a phone call from a new "FordBarner" a couple of weeks ago, he told me he had a '39 Ford CS and he was thinking about selling it. Well, today he (Warren) drove the '39 CS to my place so we could compare notes so to speak... Mike and Don also stopped by so we could play with Warren's '39 CS. We indoctrinated Warren into the Cigar City Flatheads and he sprang for the PIZZA... Here are some photo we took.

On the way to PIZZA.

Making comparisons. Warren's car is an early production while mine is a late, there are a lot of subtle differences between the two cars.

We put Warren's '39 up on the lift and checked all the vital fluids & greased everything. At that point it was time for each of us to take care of non Flathead business so we called it a day.

It was a real pleasure meeting Warren and his '39 CS and I'm looking forward to getting to know him and his car better. He will be driving the '39 to the 2014 Florida "Barner's Bash" so Bill Wzorek (if you are reading this) add him to the list.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #1346
40cpe

Does Warren's car suffer from vapor lock?

Nice looking car.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #1347
WarrenC

Hey Vick, It was nice meeting you, and Mike and Don. I have been sitting over here in New Port Richey for 8 years, thinking I was the only flat header around. I was getting ready to sell my CS since there wasn't anyone to play with.

Then I discovered Ford Barn and you and the guys living just up the road. So, I think I'll keep the car now, and join in the fun.

I tried to put the car and info in the signature line, but I need to resize the picture.
WarrenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #1348
Vic Piano

Warren, we had a blast, it's always nice to meet people that have the same interest, and you do have one fine '39. I'm looking forward to having more Flathead fun with you and the '39 CS, maybe next Saturday you can cruise up to the "Hot Rod" Breakfast with us. Vic
Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1349
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Does Warren's car suffer from vapor lock?

Nice looking car.
Gene, He hasn't driven it enough to experience the dreaded (some say non-existent) Vapor Lock... But, because he will now be driving the car on a regular basis, I'm sure he'll be visited by the Vapor Lock Monster at some point. However, those of us that drive our Flatheads (beyond the end of the driveway or on and off a trailer) know how to deal with it and drive on!

You and Rita should think about joining us for the Florida "Barner's Bash", it'll be a blast. Vic
Old 01-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #1350
BILL WZOREK

Warren:

Welcome, to the barn & the Flathead fun.
You have one beautiful car.
It's got to be neat to findout that you are not alone .
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #1351
WarrenC

You forgot to tell them what a good Ford mechanic I am. Beer in one hand, rag in another and saying,"what's that thing." Thanks Bill and Gene for your compliments.

[QUOTE=Vic Piano;797003]Seeing Double

We put Warren's '39 up on the lift and checked all the vital fluids & greased everything. At that point it was time for each of us to take care of non Flathead business so we called it a day.
WarrenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #1352
1963turnerjohn

Warren - that is one fine 39 CS - keep her and use her, these cars are do much fun and give back a lot - being the great rides or people you meet - all because of a car that's been around through the decades!
1963turnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #1353
Vic Piano

Warren, I'm a "hammer mechanic" myself... If I can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, at least I'll know for sure its broken...
Oh, I forgot to thank you for the PIZZA. Vic
Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #1354
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Warren, we had a blast, it's always nice to meet people that have the same interest, and you do have one fine '39. I'm looking forward to having more Flathead fun with you and the '39 CS, maybe next Saturday you can cruise up to the "Hot Rod" Breakfast with us. Vic
Hi Vic. If I'm not at my Mother's place helping her get settled-in, I may cruise up for some bacon & eggs with you and the rest of the hot rodders.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #1355
Vic Piano

Steve, that sounds like a plan, let me know if you want to swing by my place before and/or after for next Saturday's HRB. Vic
Old 01-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #1356
39coupe

Hey Vic, are you guys still going to the place that used to be "the restaurant"? Mike
Old 01-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #1357
Vic Piano

Hi Mike, yes we are, the guys meet at 9:00am on Saturdays. Come on up if you get a chance. Vic
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #1358
39coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi Mike, yes we are, the guys meet at 9:00am on Saturdays. Come on up if you get a chance. Vic
My hot rod breakfast group has been going to Breakfast Station in Spring Hill. Awesome grub and ok prices. We're just thinking of trying some other places for variety. How's that place (Thousand Island?). We may give that a try too. Haven't seen you fellas in ages.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #1359
Vic Piano

Almost a Roadside Repair.

Those of you who drive your Flatheads on a fairly regular basis and those who have been playing with Flatheads for many years should appreciate this. I drove the '51 F-1 down to the local auto parts store to pick up a case of 20/50 motor oil. On the drive home, while stopped at a traffic light, I heard the sound of metal to metal rattling... I wasn't too far from home so, when the light turned green, I continued on. I pulled into the drive way, got out of the truck and took a look underneath... What I found was one of the tail pipe hangers (that had been welded to the tail pipe) succumbed to metal fatigue and a bit of rust... after 10 years of service... Being Sunday, I didn't think I could find a local muffler shop opened and I don't weld so, I reached back into my memory and remembered that, when we were kids, we used coat hanger wire to hang exhaust pipes... So, I found a wire hanger, cut it and wrapped it around the tail pipe and hanger and, just for a little extra help, some JB Weld... No, it doesn't look factory but it'll do the job till I can fix it correctly. Until then, I'll drive on having more Flathead fun!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #1360
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39coupe View Post
My hot rod breakfast group has been going to Breakfast Station in Spring Hill. Awesome grub and ok prices. We're just thinking of trying some other places for variety. How's that place (Thousand Island?). We may give that a try too. Haven't seen you fellas in ages.
I would say it's ok if you're not use to much... But, as you know, the food is not the primary reason to meet there. I guess it's the location as most of the guys live close by...

Last edited by Vic Piano; 01-05-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote