Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
henry494

Default Marco's "Awkward Moments" & Update - Dave Lopes

Fellow FordBarners,

On August 2, 2010, at 10:28 pm, Marco Tahtaras posted the following;

A friend of many of us and fairly active poster from time to time can use your best thoughts and prayers. The awkward part will be clear as you read on. While remaining positive he's been quite private about his battle with cancer in part to avoid what he feels would be undue sympathy. Not many were aware of his past battle or the recent recurrence that came on strong the last 4-6 weeks. He reiterated to me just last week how he was uncomfortable going public and "making a big to-do" about it.

Well, I was aware of his scheduled surgery early today and cautiously awaited word. After awakening from surgery he was heavily medicated as one might expect. In that groggy state (and the doctors telling him more than he could possibly digest) he got my number up on his cell and told his wife to tell me to post a message. He really needs any and all support that can be mustered at this time. He still has issues requiring close monitoring and is expected to be in ICU for couple days. It's still scary.

Back to "awkward". I'm not so sure how he will actually regard his request to post when the heavy meds taper off. His wife felt similarly. I almost posted nothing but that just wouldn't be right at this time. I'm sorry for the contradiction in that I feel the need to go public on his behalf but still protect his privacy. Some of you will know or guess who our friend is and others may never know.

Again, a friend can use your best thoughts and prayers.

PLEASE do not publicly throw any guesses or names out here.

Thanks...

Update from Dave Lopes, “Henry494”

My wife Lisa, initiated this posting with Marco through my insistence after surgery. As noted, I was drugged and don’t have any recall of the conversation with Lisa about FordBarn. However, I know the power of support from friends far and wide, some we may know well, others we only know a little, and in some cases, we don’t actually know at all. But, at the time I spoke with Lisa after surgery, I knew I was in trouble and needed all the help I could get, so I turned to you, Fellow FordBarners, for more support.
I was diagnosed with throat cancer in mid-2009, and underwent radiation and chemo therapies. All went well until June of this year, when I began to get ill again. Right after our return from our French Lick vacation, I got it checked out, and the cancer had returned. I got hooked up with a fantastic surgeon at USC Cancer Hospital in Los Angeles. The speed at which USC moved turned out to be critical to my situation, and a real blessing. I underwent surgery August 2nd. It turned into a 4 ½ hour surgery as they found the tumors had really spread quickly. They used a “trans-oral” robot, which is a machine that two surgeons guided via computer, to do the tumor removal. This is incredible technology, which permitted far more precise surgery than ever possible by human hands. The tentacles of the tumors went from the back of the throat to base of the spine, and upwards from the throat to the left side of the skull. It was very invasive surgery, and they discovered the left carotid artery had been completely closed by the radiation treatments I received in 2009, as well as other damaged areas in my neck and head. That’s just collateral damage in trying to kill the cancer. Two days of intensive care and eleven days of intensive care “step down,” and I was ready to get out of there. Got home the evening of the 14th. My recovery road will be long, and as of now, we are not sure what else is in my path. My speech and ability to swallow is severely limited, and I will continue therapy to improve that situation. Additional chemo treatments are likely, but not yet determined. However, I am home with my family.

During all of this, our son Mitchell, had to depart for his freshman year at the University of Notre Dame, his first choice “dream school” that he worked so hard to get into. He was honored with academic scholarships, and will be studying aerospace engineering. He had to leave early because he also joined the Naval ROTC program, and will also audition on the trumpet for the Notre Dame Marching Band. With me down, the timing was bad, as we had planned to go with Mitchell. I hope you can hear my buttons bursting from pride as this is being typed.

You can see how all of this was adding up to an emotional volcano. As Marco noted, I do tend to keep pretty private, that’s just my way. And, I thank Marco and my wife for keeping it private at that time, they know me so well, but in this case, my need for more help overwhelmed my normal style. Then, my request to have Marco post a plea for support was validated immediately. Every day, Lisa brought responses and read them to me. Short or long, they all got to me. I am not able to describe to you folks how much your support means to me, and how much it contributed to me being able to keep pushing forward, which at times, was a struggle, and will be for some time coming. I am sharing very personal info with all of you today as an attempt to express my (And all of my family’s’) deep gratitude for your thoughtfulness. I cannot find the proper words to truly express our thanks.

Please accept, “Thank You,” and know that I mean it many times over.

I will most likely not be on the computer, e-mail, Internet, for a while. I’m just not yet able. Lisa will keep me connected, as she is actually typing and posting this for me in my words. I needed to let you know how I felt about your support and prayers.

Dave Lopes
“Henry494”
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Marco's "Awkward Moments" & Update - Dave Lopes

Dave, being a stage 3 colon cancer survivor I firmly beleive that the only reason I am able to type this today is because of the prayer and support of freinds, family and the people on Fordbarn and Ahooga. I have been praying for you daily since Marco's post, although I was not sure which freind of Marco's I was praying for until Lisa's e-mail afew days later. Praying for as complete of a recovery as possible for you.

Rod
Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Dave, as the e-mail that I sent to Lisa yesterday said, you have many folks sincerely praying for you all over. We truly believe that when the power of our almighty Father intervenes, miraculous things happen. I truly believe you are a living example of this.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
WTSHNN

Dave,

That is just tremendous! Glad to hear you are doing well and are home.

Congrats on Mitchell getting into Notre Dame and good luck on his audition for the band! I try to get out there for a game every couple of years and half the time I pay more attention to the band than I do anything else!

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
glenn in camino

Hi Dave
When I read Marco's post I thought about you. You were in my thoughts and prayers but I didn't know for sure that it was you. I'm glad the surgery was a success. We took our tudor and our coupe to Vancouver and did well with both. When I didn't see you there, I knew something was wrong. I look forward to seeing you again at a swapmeet or Model A event. Stay positive and get well soon.
Glenn Johnson
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
chet

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Davy, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep the faith; you will be back better than ever. I know that this is a challenging time for you and your family; experienced that first hand with my bride who is a cancer survivor.
We had a great conversation at French Lick. I will be sending you pics on my early standard 1930 coupe; a twin to the one that you are starting restoration on. I hope that we can work together on our mutual virtually identical projects. Chet & Gloria Wojcik
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
dean from bozeman

Dave, it is great to "hear" your words. Mitchell will learn a lot at Notre Dame but it will pale in comparison to the bravery you showed and the love of life demonstrated by your continued fight against this cancer. Those lessons he will carry with him and will guide him throughout his life.

See you in San Diego.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
wrndln

Dave,
I am sorry to hear about your cancer problems. I hope all turns out OK. It was nice to chat with you at French Lick. I didn't realize your cancer problems were returning when you were there. You are a real asset to the model A community. Thanks for all the help you provided with the side curtain pan on my rust bucket 29 phaeton. Yesterday I painted my 28 special coupe - Arabian Sand, Dark. I can now see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Keep us posted on your recovery.
Rusty Nelson
Lakeville, MN
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
1931 flamingo

Dave, Have kept "someone" in my prayers and now find out who. I will continue to keep YOU in my prayers and God Bless and a speedy recovery.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
d.j. moordigian

Dave,

My thoughts are the same as the rest, see you in San Diego.

Take care.
Dudley Moordigian
Fresno, Ca
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Russ/40

Dave, don't know you, but I and my Stephen Ministry group have had you in our prayers. That's what we do. We will continue to do so that our Lord will bless you with calm and comfort as you face this challenge.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Scott NY

Dave

As always you are in my thoughts. I hope and prayer that you will beat this. Great to see you at French Lick.

Scott
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Boston Bruce

Dave: I also don't know you personally but I want to wish you all the best in your fight against this scourge we call "cancer." As a survivor myself (kidney) I agree with others that "keeping private" about the illness is something many do in the beginning. In fact though, going "public" becomes such a relief and the support one receives from friends and family is very important in your drive to be well again.

You have received and will continue receive strength and support from your friends in the Model A hobby here on Fordbard and elsewhere. In fact you'll learn much more about friends and friendship that you ever thought you knew! One wise philosopher once said this: "Friendship... it's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -- Muhummad Ali.

I hope to meet you in San Diego next year.

Bruce Marshall
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Frank Miller

Good to read your post. Glad you are doing better.
Frank Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Clem Clement

Sandy and my thoughts and prayers are with you here in the east. Cancer research and treatments and advancing more each day as are success stories. We are counting on you beating this thing. Be strong and remember the little engine that could: "I think I can, I know I can..."

Sandy and Clem Clement
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
modelAtony

Dave, glad you are home with loved one's. You have a special #1 stand up friend in MARCO. When I read his post about his friend and he was not completely sure about posting, I know it was a tough decision for him. When we find ourselves in situations we all think, I CAN HANDLE THIS BY MYSELF . Really we can't, humans need compassion,family and loving friends, like # 1 stand up guys. I don't know you but I sure admire your beautiful cars.Sounds like you have a great family and I know you have many, many,many friends that you will never meet. Best wishes and prayers to you and your family. modelAtony Lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
Bick in New Zealand

Dave,

Great to hear from you, keep up the good fight, the Model A Fraternity worldwide is behind you backing you up in you hour of need. All the best.

Justin Bicknell
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

So wonderful to hear from you and glad to see this post. As my messages kept saying we are thinking and praying for you all the time,. Get better and lets get you out the Chicago after the first of the year.. Be well and stay well Dave

Mark
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
Brentwood Bob

We are examples to others. You have my daily prayers in your fight. Enjoy each moment of life. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
peters180a/170b

Lisa , Met you all at the French Lick and Dave told me before hand about his cancer.Glad he was able to make the trip. My prayers are with you and Michell as well. You are a strong woman and Dave is lucky to have you there with him. Hang in there .Been there done that. peter
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote