Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
james.heider

Default Victoria Sunvisor Mounting

Attached is a picture I took of a 1931 leatherback victoria top wood. As you can see there are 2 rectangular pieces of wood between the 1 and 2 top bows. In the wood drawings I have seen of Victoria top bows there is noe picture or description of these two blocks.
My question is Does the sunvisor brackets screw directly into the narrow top bow or are these 2 pieces of wood necessary for mounting the visor bracket?

MY mistake--This picture was in with a group of Vicky pictures and appears to be a 4 door sedan. But my question still remains as to where the bracket mounts and did a vicky have these two wood blocks?

Last edited by james.heider; 01-01-2013 at 09:16 AM.
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Victoria Sunvisor Mounting

the brackets get screwed to the wood blocks, the visor fold up going forward the rear of the bracket ends up about 12 1/2" back from your header.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (35.2 KB, 59 views)
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
jw hash

I left out, yes you need to install the filler wood blocks just like your picture shows.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
CA Victoria

Hello James,
Here is a picture I took of my Drivers side visor before I stripped the body. The Victoria is a March-April car and no blocks were used. It had two visors screwed to the first bow.

Drop me a line if you can help with tips on restoring the door latches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Visor.jpg (42.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg WS Wiper.jpg (76.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
james.heider

Thanks John,
The Anders Ramberg drawings of the Victoria don't show those blocks and that is why I questioned it. I will get them in before the headliner goes in.

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Attached photos are of how the visors in my steelback Vic are installed. I don't know if they are correct, however, the only way I can see that they can mount is to the wood cross beam where they are attached.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vic-driver.jpg (62.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Vic-passenger.jpg (71.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1020301.jpg (50.7 KB, 71 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Vern

My project Vic had no blocks for the visors. There are screw holes in the cross bow that match where the visors would be fastened. There is no reason you couldn't fabricate blocks to fit between the bows for the visors, but I don't believe blocks were originally provided. Ander's drawing is based on the original Ford prints.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
james.heider

Thanks Tom and Vern. The pictures that CA Victoria posted is the way that I thought they were suppose to mount but then when I saw the wood blocks in the 4 door roof I wasn't sure. My roof rib is wide enough to accomidate the original brackets . Thanks to all of you for the help.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
quickchange

Where can one purchase the sun viser brackets from ? Have tried most of the parts suppliers, Told no longer avalible, If i can get one or borrow one we will endevor too reproduce them , 70* & warming up in NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Where can one purchase the sun viser brackets from ? Have tried most of the parts suppliers, Told no longer avalible, If i can get one or borrow one we will endevor too reproduce them , 70* & warming up in NZ
I installed a set in a customer's victoria this fall, and he got the brackets from the victoria club. He said they were the last set made, and nobody is currently making them.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

There were two configurations and I believe it applied to both the Victorias and Fordors. One configuration used a special wide (1-3/4"?) #1 roof rib and the visor or visors were mounted directly to this rib. The other was produced with all standard "roof ribs" measuring 7/8" (?) wide and used a 3-3/4" wide wood "strainer" block between roof ribs numbers one and two. The visors were mounted to these blocks.

I was under the assumption that the first configuration was the type with the strainers. However I went through the various part numbers for the visor assemblies and it appears the opposite. Assuming that is the case then the strainer mounted visors will primarily be found in steel back Victorias.

As an interesting side note, in looking through the part numbers they describe the visors mounted to strainers as "with heavy bracket" indicating there were two distinctly different bracket assemblies. Since I've never worked on more than one s/w Fordor or Victoria at one time I've never noticed variations.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
james.heider

In Bert's 2011 catalog on page 101 item number a-38480 Steve has listed the brackets.
They are $135 for a pair.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Midwest Tin

Hi,
I have two set of original sun visor bkts and one set is diff. than the other. I will post some photos to show the diff. when I get a chance. Soon
Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
Midwest Tin

I hope the following photos show the diff.in the two Original Sun Visor brackets. Does anyone know any inf. why there are two styles? They are the same size but the two screws and outer arms are diff. Thanks, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0128.jpg (54.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0130.jpg (52.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0131.jpg (69.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0132.jpg (55.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0135.jpg (42.8 KB, 47 views)
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Dale G.

Dear Midwest Tin,
In your pictures, the top bracket is like the one in my original Victoria that I have since restored. The bottom bracket is like the one in my original S/W Town Sedan. When I restored my Victoria, the number one top bow was broken and I had to replace it. I had two blocks of wood for each visor to screw into. These blocks were originally just glued to the bow. When I replaced the bow I glued the blocks the same as original but I also put two long wood screws through the bow into the block to secure the block better and positioned the screws as to not interfere with the screws for the brackets.
As to the differences in the brackets, probably two different manufacturers. The pictures of Mr. Endy's visors are mounted incorrectly. They should fold forward toward the header. Dale Gosa.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Vern

The visor bracket in the photo is of a second style, by an unknown manufacturer. A similar bracket is installed in at least one un-restored Victoria that we know of. The Victoria Association technical director, Chuck Christensen, did an article about the two different brackets in the April 2011 issue of The Bustle.

The top bow shown is from my steelback Victoria. The bow measures 1-1/4" wide, there are no visible fasteners indicating another block was installed between the bow & the header.

Last edited by Vern; 05-30-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
The visor bracket in the photo is of a second style, by an unknown manufacturer. A similar bracket is installed in at least one un-restored Victoria that we know of. The Victoria Association technical director, Chuck Christensen, did an article about the two different brackets in the April 2011 issue of The Bustle.

The top bow shown is from my steelback Victoria. The bow measures 1-1/4" wide, there are no visible fasteners indicating another block was installed between the bow & the header.
Is your steel back early, i.e., is it flat or indented firewall, early or late style seats?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Gosa in Jacksonv View Post
Dear Midwest Tin,
In your pictures, the top bracket is like the one in my original Victoria that I have since restored. The bottom bracket is like the one in my original S/W Town Sedan. When I restored my Victoria, the number one top bow was broken and I had to replace it. I had two blocks of wood for each visor to screw into. These blocks were originally just glued to the bow. When I replaced the bow I glued the blocks the same as original but I also put two long wood screws through the bow into the block to secure the block better and positioned the screws as to not interfere with the screws for the brackets.
As to the differences in the brackets, probably two different manufacturers. The pictures of Mr. Endy's visors are mounted incorrectly. They should fold forward toward the header. Dale Gosa.
Hi Dale, I think I have pics of your Town Sedan you sent me years ago but it's not quick for me to dig them out. What is the production time frame of both the Town Sedan and the Victoria?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Vern

Marco,
It's an early steelback, flat firewall, early style seats; March 31 engine number range. Possibly why there wasn't any sign of a block for the visors, if Ford started putting them in as they transitioned in the other changes, the indented firewall, later seat hardware.
Ah, this history stuff is fun to speculate on.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Dale G.

Marco,

Good to hear from you. My Town Sedan is May/June, indented firewall, Briggs Body. The Victoria is April. Flat firewall. Three position seat brackets, no quarter window shades.
Dale Gosa.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #21
Dale G.

Forgot to say, my Victoria is a steel back. Dale.