Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
ctlikon0712

Default Re: disc brakes

Gosh were getting off topic.... but I'll add that the truck in this thread https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93486
has been converted to what looks like propane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg propane conversion.jpg (80.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
MrTube

Default Re: disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I'll bet your 2012 car has more of a rubber footprint on the road too. The only improvement disc brakes offer is better cooling to prevent brake fade in heavy/repeat braking, and they are less affected by water. Properly functioning drum brakes will stop a car plenty fast and safe.

Absolutely, but the problem is if you put wider tires on an "A" you would overload the brakes.

Another common thing people say is mechanical brakes are superior to hydraulic. My problem with this statement is if you ever drove an "A" 30,000 miles a year as I do my modern vehicles you would have to constantly adjust the brakes. I don't have to with hydraulic ones and balancing is of course done electronically these days.

All my point really is, the brakes on a stock model "A" aren't that great. Sure, they are good enough for the stock vehicle but you must drive it accordingly. Absolutely they will lock up all four wheels with stock sized tires but they do require a lot of foot pressure to do so.

I wouldn't modify our A but by no means do I think the brakes are fantastic. I'm definitely on the team that likes stock "A"s.

By the way, both of my 2012 vehicles have drum brakes in the rear. My two complains about drums are pedal travel and water. Other than that I don't care either way. I probably should have mentioned I was commenting more on the overall brake system on the "A" other than "drums" as this is a thread about converting to discs. I'm sorry about that.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)