Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
petew

Default Considering Buying A Model A

Some questions regarding the different years of model A cars.

First year 1928 , last year 1931 . What are the major differences and do the later ones have any more room for the driver than the early years ?

Is a pick up truck (28 - 31) tighter for the driver than a car ?

My biggest fear is gas tank issues . We have a 29 in our shop now that was "asleep " in the barn for 8 years . The gas tank , line and carb were a mess.
I drained and flushed the tank and then filled it with evapo rust , let it steep for a while and the pressure washed the insides with a pretty weak pressure washer . Flushed it with gas until it drained clean ( no sediment) and now it looks great inside but what if it didn't , what are you options with these cars as the tank seems to be part of the body ?
So the question is how do you qualify the gas tank as sound on a car that may be for sale ?

I perviously owned a 27 T roadster with model A running gear so I am Comfortable with the drivetrain, it's body , chassis and electrical that I have limited experience with on these cars.

Pete
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
TerryH

Default Re: Considering Buying A Model A

All the pickups are a tighter fit. If that’s important, then you should seek one out to try first.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
ronn

30-31s tend to demand a little higher pricing, as they are a little roomier and more in demand with hot rodders.
all have the same basic gas tank and yes, they can be problematic, but once youve done a couple, you become an expert.
yes pickups tend to be tighter. 4 dr sedans are roomier as are vickis. vickies have a very large front door and maybe the easiest to climb into.
what are your preferences? guess that is a good point to start.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:47 PM   #4
petew

My preference would be a coupe or a Tudor .
My dads first car was a 1930 coupe so that would be nice .
Not looking to hot rod but rather enjoy a stock model A .
At 6’ and 200 lbs I’m not huge but I’d rather not be folded up in a certain model if there are more comfortable options.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Mike Peters

We have a 30 coupe and find it pretty easy to get in and out of. I'm 5'10". At 6 feet and 200, you won't have any trouble at all. Tudors are about the same.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
WHN

28 & 29 coupes not for tall people. We just sold our 29 Sport Coupe after 42 years. I just could no longer get into it and working the peddles was becoming difficult.

I’m 6’ 4”. It’s not completely your height, it’s the length of your legs. Inseam!

Good luck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Pete, seek out and join a local Model A club first. Sit in different vehicles, different years, different body styles. See what fits. Get to know the people in the club, they will help you find a good car at a reasonable price. They may let you drive some of their cars, to see how steering and shifting and working the clutch fits and feels for you. Some body styles are more adjustable than others.

There is a Model A out there for everyone!

Have fun!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:05 PM   #8
petew

Thanks for all of the good advise , I will be looking …
WHN I see you are from Connecticut we left Connecticut to come to North Carolina.
Lived in Redding worked in Stamford.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #9
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
28 & 29 coupes not for tall people. We just sold our 29 Sport Coupe after 42 years. I just could no longer get into it and working the peddles was becoming difficult.

I’m 6’ 4”. It’s not completely your height, it’s the length of your legs. Inseam!

Good luck.
Yep, my inseam is 38". I tell people I only get in and out of it, once I'm in it's like another car. I bought the little legs to move the seat back 1 1/2" on my 28 Tudor. I guess I have figured out how to get in and out, because it's not a big deal for me.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #10
Gene F

Getting an engine rebabbited and some subtle improvements can be a challenge these days. Ask for receipts on engine work. No receipts FROM A SHOP = zero value added to the seller!!!!!!!!!!!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:28 PM   #11
Synchro909

The fuel tank on all 4 of my Model As have been cleaned and sealed. The first one was done about 25 years ago and still going fine. I prefer the 3 stage sealing kits.
Stage 1: Degreaser to remove all oiliness from the tank so the next stage can get to the rust
Stage 2: Phosphoric acid to dissolve the rust.
Stage 3: A sealer that you slosh around in there to coat the inside with a permanent layer of fuel proof material.
Follow the instructions!!
Old 06-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #12
nkaminar

Pete, The Tar Wheel A's in centered in Raleigh and is a great group of people. Contact [email protected]. I sold my 1915 Model T and used the money to buy my present Model A Fordor. We moved from Mebane to Wilkesboro. If you are going to be around on Tuesday I can drive the Model A to my doctor's appointment in Mebane and stop by afterward. This car is number 6 and I have owned a coupe, roadster, pickup, an AA flatbed, and a Tudor. I sent you a personal message with my email address in it.

My present car has a lot of stuff in it that you should know about.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:46 PM   #13
nkaminar

There is a 1930 Coupe on Craigs List located south of Charlotte but they want a lot of money for it. It appears to be in good shape. It looks like a $16,000 car.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...499213358.html

There is another one on Bring A Trailer. It looks like fresh paint but may need some engine work, etc. Current bid is $5,100 and bidding will end in 2 days.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...d-model-a-112/

Your best bet is to ask around at the Tar Wheel A's to see if someone has a car for sale.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-22-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #14
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Thanks for all of the good advise , I will be looking …
WHN I see you are from Connecticut we left Connecticut to come to North Carolina.
Lived in Redding worked in Stamford.
We are in Old Lyme on Long Island Sound. Great country roads for driving a Model A. Also we have a local car show that brings out some really nice cars.

Enjoy your new home. Good luck finding a car. Check Hemmings. Our 29 sold on Hemmings in three days. A good car will sell quickly. Be ready!
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
nkaminar

Here is one that popped up this morning. It looks like a Tudor. Price is reasonable. It is in Richmond, VA.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/...?lang=en&cc=gb
Old 06-23-2022, 07:23 AM   #16
ndnchf

Quote:
At 6’ and 200 lbs I’m not huge but I’d rather not be folded up in a certain model if there are more comfortable options.
I'm about the same height and weight, and fit comfortably in my '31 closed cab pickup.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #17
petew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
I'm about the same height and weight, and fit comfortably in my '31 closed cab pickup.
Good info , thank you .
Old 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #18
CHuDWah

Quote:
My preference would be a coupe or a Tudor .
My dads first car was a 1930 coupe so that would be nice .
Not looking to hot rod but rather enjoy a stock model A .

Aside from rust, there are a couple other potential gas tank issues. The shutoff valve under the tank can leak inside the car. The steering column support is attached to the tank and less commonly can loosen, causing leaks. Both are fixable but something to be aware of. Factory fixes were made in 31 but earlier cars may have the problem(s).

Some (maybe all) 30-31 coupes had adjustable seats - I don't think 28-29 did. I'm 6' and 200# with 30" inseam. I had a 30 Sport Coupe (same as 5-window except top) - with the seat all the way back, entry/exit was no problem and working the pedals and steering wheel was comfortable. I also had a 30 closed cab pickup. There is no seat adjustment and entry/exit and driving position is tighter, but still not uncomfortable. The worst part is the seat and back cushions are at almost a 90* angle and not as well padded.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #19
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

The '30-'31 Tudors have a wider door opening than the '28-'29 cars. Different seat brackets are readily available to allow for adjusting the front seats fore ant aft.

Here's a tool for doing web searches for cars, etc.

https://www.searchtempest.com/
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #20
copgib

Quote:
Some questions regarding the different years of model A cars.

First year 1928 , last year 1931 . What are the major differences and do the later ones have any more room for the driver than the early years ?

Is a pick up truck (28 - 31) tighter for the driver than a car ?

My biggest fear is gas tank issues . We have a 29 in our shop now that was "asleep " in the barn for 8 years . The gas tank , line and carb were a mess.
I drained and flushed the tank and then filled it with evapo rust , let it steep for a while and the pressure washed the insides with a pretty weak pressure washer . Flushed it with gas until it drained clean ( no sediment) and now it looks great inside but what if it didn't , what are you options with these cars as the tank seems to be part of the body ?
So the question is how do you qualify the gas tank as sound on a car that may be for sale ?

I perviously owned a 27 T roadster with model A running gear so I am Comfortable with the drivetrain, it's body , chassis and electrical that I have limited experience with on these cars.

Pete
I own a 1930 Coupe that was a barn find. My suggestion to you is before you buy, see if the seller has any photos of what had been done to the car in the past. Mine had a nice paint on it with some cracking and pealing, but I wanted to know what condition the body was in so I had it taken down to bear metal. Wow, what I found was a lot of bondo filler and shabby repairs under the paint. I for one, if and when I sell my coupe, I will provide photos from the beginning when I got it until the finished product. The problem is a lot of sellers do not know what the car is like under there paint. Do your research before you buy! Good luck! Hooter
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote