Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
Sparetimefun

Default Odd Model A Engine Number

Can anyone shed some light on an odd Model A engine number: D4V89876?
There are no stars to bracket the number. The 4 is not well stamped so that might be different. It is stamped on the usual pad above the water inlet with no other marks. The number does not appear to be a re-stamping.
The block appears to be a standard Model A block. It is not a diamond block. I haven't removed the pan to view the crank. The flywheel housing does not have any serial number on it, but it may not be original to the block. The head is probably not original either, although it is a regular head with 4 bolt water pump mount.
Any help here would be great. Total mystery to me. Thanks!
Sparetimefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
40-A Twins

Default Re: Odd Model A Engine Number

Just a wild guess that Ford was supplying motors to outside industrial equipment manufacturers during Model A production years, and continued selling Diamond motors to the same same companies after A production ended.
My Diamond motor number prefix is LBI, and I wonder if that might be initials for the company that powered some type of farm equipment with it. It would be interesting to have a list of those companies buying Diamond motors and see if anything matches.
Kevin
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
Bob C

I had one that was DMVXXXX.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
rotorwrench

There were multiple industrial applications and the Gleaner combine applications so it's hard to say if it is one of those or a possible restamp of a block that no longer had a visible stamping on it. The Industrials usually had a IA or IAA prefix but I don't know if that continued after model A production stopped or not. The Gleaner pull type combines had a G prefix in the series. Other companies that used them like air compressors and the like may have had their own prefix for a serial number.

A Prefix like D4V or DMV sort of looks like a state issued number prefix but I would in no way say that there is any definitive evidence to prove that. A title or known place of origin may be clues to its origin. Canadian serial number prefixes generally always start with CA.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Probably been restamped. Can you post a picture of it?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Sparetimefun

Update: Took pics of my engine number, but can't figure out how to post them. Under better light I see that my engine number is really DMV89676, which is much like Bob's. I'm in California and maybe the DMV here issued the number. I've had the engine for many years and don't recall where I got it, but maybe searching through my records will provide a clue. I'll update again if I have more info.
Sparetimefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #7
shew01

Default Odd Model A Engine Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparetimefun View Post
Update: Took pics of my engine number, but can't figure out how to post them. Under better light I see that my engine number is really DMV89676, which is much like Bob's. I'm in California and maybe the DMV here issued the number. I've had the engine for many years and don't recall where I got it, but maybe searching through my records will provide a clue. I'll update again if I have more info.

Maybe this recent thread will help.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote