Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #801
GreenMonster48

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Thanks!
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #802
Vic Piano

Got two Flathead related things accomplished today... First, we got the '47 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet running... (next, we have to hunt down several electrical issues with the Lincoln ), Second, we got the timing issue on the '51 F-1 fixed... Now I'm thinking that I'll drive the F-1 on the "Barner's Bash" tours.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #803
Vic Piano

My next two projects are to flush out the '53 F-100 Panel Truck cooling system and redo the wood in the bed of the '51 F-1... The fun just never stops... Got a PM from Denise, (the Hot Rod Lady Cruiser) today, she is in the "cold" sunshine state and may get a chance to stop by this weekend, I hope so.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #804
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Got two Flathead related things accomplished today... First, we got the '47 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet running... (next, we have to hunt down several electrical issues with the Lincoln ), Second, we got the timing issue on the '51 F-1 fixed... Now I'm thinking that I'll drive the F-1 on the "Barner's Bash" tours.
Hey Vic, I took in a 47 L.C about a year ago and the owner wanted me to get it up and running and rebuild the brakes. Once I got it running and drivable he asked if I would rewire the whole car. He got a complete harness from Narranganset and it fit really nice. If you have to get behind the dash believe me, go ahead and take the seat out,it makes life much easier. I wound up removing everything out of the dash,speedo,clock gauges,light switch,radio. So, in my opinion ,if your having wiring problems and you still have the old wires in there they will start falling apart as soon as you touch them,go ahead and rewire it and dont take a chance on burning it up.Once I got into it I found that one of the reasons things wouldnt work was lots of the connections were corroded.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #805
Vic Piano

Good fortune fell upon me this morning... I drove the '51 F-1 up to the gas station to top off the tank. When I got to the station, it was packed with cars and trucks at the pumps so, I circled around and found a vacant pump. When I went to put the credit card in the slot, the screen on the pump said "Prepaid $20.00". I thought it was a mistake but I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try... I put the nozzle in the gas tank and commenced to pump gas... As luck would have it, I got $20.00 worth of gas for free... After the pump shut off, I inserted my credit card and topped off the tank with anther $10.00. I hope the rest of my day goes as well...
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #806
Brendan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Vic, the other day when I was driving my 36 pickup I was getting onto the hiway and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw money. pulled over and I was right. I picked up 140 bucks on the side of the road! that was a good day for me!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #807
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Hey Vic, I took in a 47 L.C about a year ago and the owner wanted me to get it up and running and rebuild the brakes. Once I got it running and drivable he asked if I would rewire the whole car. He got a complete harness from Narranganset and it fit really nice. If you have to get behind the dash believe me, go ahead and take the seat out,it makes life much easier. I wound up removing everything out of the dash,speedo,clock gauges,light switch,radio. So, in my opinion ,if your having wiring problems and you still have the old wires in there they will start falling apart as soon as you touch them,go ahead and rewire it and dont take a chance on burning it up.Once I got into it I found that one of the reasons things wouldnt work was lots of the connections were corroded.

Hi Ken, this car has what looks like a Rhode Island wiring harness in it, my guess is that its not too old however, someone really messed things up when they installed the 6volt/12volt one piece battery and strange voltage drop-solenoid arrangement in the car. Once we get all that extraneous stuff out, and put things back where they belong, we'll start going through things like the generator/voltage regulator/ ignition resister, etc. I've got a full Rhode Island wiring harness for our '39 LZ that I'll install once the car has been painted. I think it’s a good idea to remove the front seat in most cars if you need to do a lot of work under the dash.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #808
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Vic, the other day when I was driving my 36 pickup I was getting onto the hiway and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw money. pulled over and I was right. I picked up 140 bucks on the side of the road! that was a good day for me!

Brendan, I think that's the $140.00 that flew out of my window at that same entrance ramp... thanks for finding it for me... LOL
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #809
Vic Piano

Now that the 2013 "Barner's Bash" is history, it's time to get back into playing with Flatheads... After the Bash (Monday morning) I drove up to North Georgia to pick up mom and bring her down to Florida for the week. I drove our '03 F-150 and on the trip home yesterday, first it lost overdrive (automatic transmission) and, when I stopped for gas, reverse went out... I was able to get home in "Drive" however, when I attempted to drive the truck down to the garage that works on our non-Flathead vehicles, the truck stopped shifting altogether... Looks like I'll be meeting my friends from AAA once again... FUN...FUN...FUN...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #810
BILL WZOREK

Vic:
How many miles do you have on the 03 F150 ? ?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #811
Vic Piano

Bill, only 115,000...
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #812
BILL WZOREK

You beat one of my buddys by 3,000 miles.
Your story sounded all most word for word with his.
Just had to change the names but the story was the same.
Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #813
Vic Piano

Well, I just got the bad news... Something let go inside the transmission, now its not developing enough pressure to shift... So, it looks like its going to have to get rebuilt... Can you say TOYOTA...
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #814
Steves46

Sorry to hear the news Vic but glad to hear you made it home safely with your mom before the tranny went completely south on you. Steve
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #815
Vic Piano

Thanks Steve, now I've got to drive her back next Monday... I hope the truck is back in working order in time to make the trip...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #816
BILL WZOREK

Vic:
That had to be tuff with mom sitting rite there and you wanting to say what you were really feeling in stead of > O DARN <>SON OF A GUN <>Boy am I glad that I will be able to help this sagging economy out < Now you can see first hand OUT with THE OLD PARTS IN with NEW PARTS.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #817
Vic Piano

Bill, that's true, I would have rather not had to spend money on the '03 F-150... But, it is what it is...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #818
Marv

Vic i think the secret is to trade every 5 years or 90,000 miles, if you do not want to spend money on maintenance. They have engineers to design parts to go bad so they can make money by fixing the prduct or selling you a new one. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #819
Vic Piano

Marv, I know... I've been thinking about an F-250 but I guess I didn't act soon enough... Oh well... Stuff happens and you just have to deal with it...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #820
TomT/Williamsburg

I suppose you are right, Marv, but it is the most expensive route to take.

For me, I am always open, searching, and just plain keeping my ears open for a good used car or truck. The little old lady car, the truck that was bought and hardly used, someone just has to get rid of a nice vehicle. You just never know. It's a crap shoot I know, but I've only been burned on 2 vehicles over the years. That's better odds than when folks buy new these days .... and, there's always the option of renting a vehicle you don't have for those occasions in which they are called for.

I also buy my used vehicles based on my good and trusted mechanic's skills as I only change the oil and filter, rotate tires and perhaps an O2 sensor every now and again. So, right now I have a 13 yr old Honda Accord (only 89K) and a 7 year old Toyota Tacoma (129K) - both right up his alley and either one can go across country right now with no problems. That leaves me the time (and $$) to play with my old cars and as long as the wife has a nice car she is comfortable with (read that as no problems), we'll stay with that vehicle until it does start giving me issues.

Anyhow, that's just me - no payments is the way I like it and it's put me ahead of the "new car" game my whole life ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote