Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
spinelll

Default Does anyone use this?

Zinc additive.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/5020
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
WestCoast

Default Re: Does anyone use this?

I don't, I just buy oil that does not have the round seal on the container that says "FOR GASOLENE ENGINES", that oil is designed for engines with roller tappet cams, it has very little if any zinc in it, designed to protect catalytic converters
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
rocket1

I use it in my 3 older cars,or valvoline racing oil,it has all the additives .
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
I use it in my 3 older cars,or valvoline racing oil,it has all the additives .
Really only needed in motorcycle and modern engine with high spring pressure on the valves in v-8 etc. the A engine does not relly need it. Some like to use diesel oil because of more zinc but this is not really true a few years ago govt. made big truck engine builders go the route of less zinc in the oil, the normal public doesn't know the zinc has been removed or hardly there. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
jojofilo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
Really only needed in motorcycle and modern engine with high spring pressure on the valves in v-8 etc. the A engine does not relly need it. Some like to use diesel oil because of more zinc but this is not really true a few years ago govt. made big truck engine builders go the route of less zinc in the oil, the normal public doesn't know the zinc has been removed or hardly there. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
Interesting. I was told by someone that I consider a "Model A Expert" that I should be using oil for diesel oil since it had the zinc in it. Thanks for passing this on!
jojofilo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojofilo88 View Post
Interesting. I was told by someone that I consider a "Model A Expert" that I should be using oil for diesel oil since it had the zinc in it. Thanks for passing this on!
He is your expert and I believe you should trust the people that are your friends and I understand his reason. I'm retire in trucking and I'm just saying their is not much zinc in the oil for really quite a few years. About 6 years ago trucks started using cat. convert. and the zinc came down. You ran exhaust particulate filter and you had to change or clean the filter and keep going. 3 or 4 years ago the started using a regen system in cab of truck you pulled over when the system called for it and it shoots the mist of DEF IN YOU ENGINE AND AFTER IT DOES ITS THING YOUR ON YOUR WAY AGAIN . tHANKS TO THE GOVT. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

No, you DO NOT need any zinc additive! (Unless you have a race engine with like 300# spring pressure.) After all, how much zinc do you think was in oil in 1927-1931? Any? likely not! In the '50's we poor kids ran "re-refined" oil in our worn-out beaters (including A's, flatheads, 6 cyl. Chevies, Plymouths, Studebakers, etc.), the cheapest stuff we could find. I doubt it had any zinc in it! Never saw a flat cam!
I have seen Harry Hammerhand wipe out cams lobes on his hot new race motor because he let his new engine idle for the first 20-30 minutes instead of running at or above 2,000 RPM like the cam instructions said (who reads directions, anyway?) The only way cam lobes get lubed is by what oil is slung off the crankshaft and this is very little at idle. Once the cam and lifters are broke in there is no problem.
What about the guys who insist on running non-detergent oil? There's no or very little zinc there, either!
Late '70's-early '80's small block Chevys ate their camshafts for lunch every day, and GM blamed it on the oil (this was back when oil still had plenty of zinc). Funny, Fords, Dodges, etc. used the same oil and their cams survived just fine! I got real good at Chevy cam R&R!
Modern heavy truck Diesels also have roller lifters so little zinc is needed in the latest spec Diesel oil.
Bottom line: Don't think you need zinc unless you're racing at high RPM with extra stout springs!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Not needed in the A BUT, if it you believe it helps and and you feel better doing everything you can to protect the car to add it, go for it!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
hardtimes

Hey 40 Deluxe,
I agree with your statements as written !
One more thing about a Model A cam, the one Ford installed...it is / was forged and hard as month old sun dried dog feces !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Scare tactic sale at its best. Rod
Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
jax55

Sounds reasonable to me. I guess I got caught up in the Zinc needed because of the motor in my 55 Chevy, no where near stock!! I guess the deal is, if you have extra money to spend or it just makes you sleep better at night add the zinc.
I put it mine for it's first oil change after I got it, but will not add it in future changes.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote