Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Fender Fail Update

Well, I was using a "nib file" to shave off the runs and sags of my botched fender underside paint job (picture 1) for over an hour when it became clear that I would not be satisfied with the end result. So I listened to my own advice (slow down - take your time -do it right!). I loaded 220 grit in my palm sander, sanded it all down again, and reshot the fender underside.

Now a week later, while my cat was unimpressed (picture 2), I am now satisfied with a job I consider well done. (Picture 3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1439.jpg (35.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg cat.jpg (81.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1457.jpg (63.8 KB, 170 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
pgerhardt

Default Re: Fender Fail Update

BTW the next show i go to where I see a model A with perfect fenders - top side and underside, I'm going to shake that owner's hand because I KNOW how much work it takes to get there!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Goldhardt

That's a very good looking job on that fender!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Bill in NJ

Don't forget to under coat it so you won't get any chips in the paint !
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

How well did your palm-sander work? We have tried everything from micro DA sanders with 2" or 3" Hook-it sanding pads, ...to Palm sanders but we found the productivity is just as fast with block sanding by hand on a foam pad.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Mark DeRoseau

I get someone shooting a panel at home, a novice... Maybe, Maybe not. Would expect different results. But I figured a "professional" shop, wouldn't be looking for painting tips on the ford barn.... Hummmm.?? Pgerhardt... panel looks great. Palm sander faster than block sanding... Depends on if your doing it yourself, or billing a customer.. Dough!
Mark DeRoseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
Don't forget to under coat it so you won't get any chips in the paint !
Cover up all my work! I don't think so. Although it might be worth investigating that clear film they spray on the front of expensive sport cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
How well did your palm-sander work? We have tried everything from micro DA sanders with 2" or 3" Hook-it sanding pads, ...to Palm sanders but we found the productivity is just as fast with block sanding by hand on a foam pad.
I use a craftsman "Nextec" sander (picture 1). As you can see the top shelf of my tool chest is set up for charging all my batteries. When one gets low I just swap in another and keep going. No cords to worries about.

I usually don't use it to "block sand", but here the panel shaping was already "done" (it is a NOS fender - so not much work needed.), The sander made quick work of erasing the sags & runs, and getting the bad coat of enamel smooth and level - ready for respray.

BTW Although I have a Porter Cable DA for buffing/polishing its long handle makes it no good for doing the underside of fenders. Since I don't have an air source that will drive an air tool I use a modified (I cut off the saw dust collection chute) Milwaukee DA sander (picture 2) with a hook & loop back and Chemical Guys pads. It has the same speed control as the Porter Cable, works great, and easily gets into all areas of the fender undersides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DeRoseau View Post
I get someone shooting a panel at home, a novice... Maybe, Maybe not. Would expect different results. But I figured a "professional" shop, wouldn't be looking for painting tips on the ford barn.... Hummmm.?? Pgerhardt... panel looks great. Palm sander faster than block sanding... Depends on if your doing it yourself, or billing a customer.. Dough!
I am not sure what this means, but I here on the barn I figure I am sharing with other hobbyists like myself, and I would imagine a professional would incorporate good information wherever they find it.

If wanting to do as much of my restoration myself as I can and expanding my skills set makes me a novice, then that's what I am.
For block sanding vs. palm sander see above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1464.jpg (59.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1465.jpg (48.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
John Duden

I used a wooden paint stick with sandpaper wrapped around it, I could form it around the curves and it would not leave flat spots
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DeRoseau View Post
Hi Mark, --not sure where you got the idea that I was looking for painting tips! Maybe you have more experience at painting Model-As than I where you could offer us/me some tips?

I might also add that based on our experience of doing fenders, the Palm-Sander isn't faster nor is the quality level what I or my customers are seeking.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote