Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Ken B

Default Emergency brake linings

I am relining my emergency brake linings and have a question. My band has 1/2" between the outer two holes. In the parts catalogs, they show two different pre-drilled linings. I ordered the ones for the 1/2" hole design. When I received them and tried to install them, the only holes that line up are the outer two holes. I tried reversing the lining and have the same result. I had a set of the other style pre-drilled linings and they don't even line up at all. Is there a third style of band hole pattern? I guess I will have to order the linings not drilled and drill them myself. Is there a special drill bit to do the countersinking?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Emergency brake linings

I used My Dremel to carefully grind the end of the bit to a smaller diameter, so it's a stepped drill bit. I'll take a picture and give more information later.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
hardtimes

Hey Ken,
Step drill will work! And, just a thot, re: the linings with the holes. If the holes are far enough off from the correct hole location, I don't think that it would do harm to just redrill/use those...thinking here of time/shipping, AND you really don't use the emergency brake that much to cause problems, etc. Good luck

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-10-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: ......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

We have a place here that bonds woven linings of the 5/32" thickness to the e-brake bands and thus eliminating riveting altogether! The suppliers are using 3/32" thick woven linings, and have to be sanded down before you can reinstall your drum unless it is over the 9.640" diameter.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
jkeesey

There's is a special bit and I believe the major parts slingers have it listed in the same area as the linings. I always drill and countersink my own, after this many years of service who knows how cobbled up the systems going to be.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Ken B

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to check the catalogs for the bit. It's too bad that I have two sets of pre-drilled linings now that I can't use. I have never had this issue with the regular brake shoes. I wonder if this emergency brake band is original Ford or not then.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
juke joint johnny

I bought some from Brattons and most lined up but not all !! Had to drill the rest .
As J Keesey says who knows what has happened to these things over the years . Maybe there were more variations than the "2 main ones "

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Here are some pictures showing the drill bit I modified. I use a lock collar to set the depth for the rivet hole. Start by clamping the lining at the center to the brake shoe, then from the shoe side drill through the lining a hole the same size as the shoe rivet hole, which mine measured 11/64" on the service brake in the first picture. Now from the lining side drill into the lining with the custom made drill bit. The small part of the bit acts as a pilot to guide the drill bit.

I mounted the 13/32" drill bit in my lathe and spun it while I held my Dremel with a grinding stone near the end of the bit and ground it to 11/64". You'll want to measure the head and shaft size of your brake rivets and use a drill bit of that size to custom grind. I also ground the angle of the cutting lip to match the angle on the bottom of the rivet head.

And, DO NOT USE STEEL RIVETS. I have a new emergency brake lining that someone used steel rivets to fasten it. I'll have to drill them out and use the correct BRASS rivets. Steel rivets will chew up your brake drums if they wear down to the rivet heads.

When you rivet the linings, I like to start at the center and work my way to the end. On the emergency band you can expand the band a little as you clamp both ends. This way the lining is nice and tight to the band. I find a drop of oil on the rivet tool helps a great deal in making a nice rolled lip.

The first picture shows service brakes, while the other 3 pictures show the parking brake and lining. The last picture shows that I haven't trimmed the excess off yet, and haven't ground a bevel into the ends of the lining yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Lining Drill Bit.jpg (78.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Drilling1.jpg (34.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Drilling2.jpg (42.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Drilling3.jpg (36.8 KB, 48 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
juke joint johnny

This might sound silly !!! But I have had some repop rivets that looked like Brass but were only brass plated steel !!!!
So Check them with a magnet before you start !!! to avoid the Damage mentioned by Tom caused by steel rivets .
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Ken B

Tom,
Thanks for the pictures. Nice job!!!!! I was sure you had something made for this type of job. I will have to order another set of linings undrilled. Most of the holes are off enough where if I tried to use them some of the new holes would be up against the old ones so the rivet wouldn't fit right.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Jerry Parr WI

Brake machines have a bit for drilling rivet holes. They are very similar to the bits sold for countersinking flat head screws. A brake shop should have one and be able to help you. Look for a shop that does truck brakes.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote