Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #41
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Anyone tried a Nu-Rex timing wrench?

I haven't yet used the tool but it seems if a person doubted that the points wouldn't be in the correct position, they could easily watch the points while moveing the wrench and stop at what ever point that they were satisfied was correct if they didn't trust the recommended tool position. Just my thought.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #42
1931 flamingo

Dreamworks: I read all your posts and respect the wisdom and experience you share here with us BUT I believe this tool DOES work.
If you go back and read posts for the last 6-12 months there are many new model A neophytes here. This is a no brainer tool. Find the timing mark, adj points, loosen cam screw, insert tool, turn 2 turns c/wise. Tighten screw. DONE JMO
Paul in CT No dis-respect meant to the neophytes, we all were once upon a time.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #43
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am not pointing fingers at anyone specifically but sadly as I have followed this thread, I have come to the realization the real underlying problem with our hobby is US. To many hobbyists, because they seemingly have the inability to "problem solve" as a mechanic, they look to a 'tool' as a cure-all to make up for their inadequacies. In addition to that, hobbyists resist taking time to study the original manual and Service Bulletins ...in essence choosing not to read the real instructions first.

Look above at all the people who have stated they do not see a need for this and compare it to their track-record of advice they have given here over time. Also, think about the Will's, the Marco's, et/al and determine if they see "the need" in using this for their engines. I think you already know the answer! If I am reading what has been posted above correctly, folks are trying to use this "problem solving" tool as a means to correct excessive Drive Gear backlash, worn or improperly made Dist. Cams, worn Distributor bushings, aftermarket Distributor Bodies, and so on. If the distributor cam lobes are worn where the ignition points do not open at exact 90 degree intervals, --or if the dist plate is loose within the body, this tool will not cure those issues. The same applies to the "backlash" many engines experience. Please take the time to fix the underlying problem(s) FIRST and see if you don't get a performance gain without using this tool!! Please don't try to convince us who have taken the time to study how a component works, and then made the effort to bring everything within proper tollerances & specifications that a tool such as this is a 'must have' for our tool box. If it had been, ...wouldn't KR Wilson have manufactured one many years ago for Ford mechanics to use?

Now on the other hand, if we were talking about swapping to an alternator .........

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #44
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I am considered, if not a master mechanic, at least an extremely good one and I think this wrench is a waste of money. I can set the timing spot on in 10 seconds once the timing mark is found. This wrench won't help with the slop in the distributor gear any more than just turning the point cam.

Besides, I have a touch that borders on magic sometimes. I have gotten motors to run that others have worked on for months and were unsuccessful. Toot my own horn? Yep but, it's true. Anyone that knows me personally will tell this.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #45
Purdy Swoft

Luke, I've got to agree. That one takes the cake!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #46
MrTube

Eh,
James can pour his own babbit. I think that speaks for it self.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Eh,
Wow, just wow.
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #48
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Eh,
And your point is? There's alot of people who pour babbitt. 99.5% of them don't get on a forum and stroke their own ego in attempt to drive more business their way.

James' post did give me a good laugh tho, so the post had some value.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #49
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDahlinger View Post
And your point is? There's alot of people who pour babbitt. 99.5% of them don't get on a forum and stroke their own ego in attempt to drive more business their way.

James' post did give me a good laugh tho, so the post had some value.
I am not trying to drive more business my way and never said anything to that effect! I also, didn't say the tool doesn't work, I said it is a waste of money!!! If you learn how to set the timing like it was intended to be set you won't need this snake oil wrench.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #50
28 Special Coupe

I agree that a tool like this is a waste of money for some folks. But I didn't start this thread for the benefit of experienced mechanics. I asked about this tool for the benefit of those, like myself, who are less knowledgeable or less mechanically inclined.

I'm trying to learn all I can. That's why I'm participating on this forum. But if there are easier ways of performing some tasks, then I'm interested in learning those ways as well. Just because Henry didn't do something a certain way doesn't make it wrong.

If I were to mow my lawn using the "original" method, I'd be using a push reel mower and it would probably take me 6 hours to do it all. Instead, I choose to use a riding mower. I save time and end up with a pretty good job, maybe not as good as with a push reel mower, but good enough. Likewise, if I can quickly and accurately set my timing with a slick tool and end up with a pretty good job, why is that bad? It's not bad, it's just different.
28 Special Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #51
Fred K-OR

I had thought about buyiing one of these but I went out yeaterday and tried Marco's way of setting the points and timing and it worked great! Give it a try, it is the best and does the job.

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/timing.htm
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #52
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I am not trying to drive more business my way and never said anything to that effect! I also, didn't say the tool doesn't work, I said it is a waste of money!!! If you learn how to set the timing like it was intended to be set you won't need this snake oil wrench.
Amen. See above post.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #53
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28 Special Coupe View Post
...I'm trying to learn all I can. That's why I'm participating on this forum. But if there are easier ways of performing some tasks, then I'm interested in learning those ways as well. Just because Henry didn't do something a certain way doesn't make it wrong...
Add to that -- I don't have 30 years left to get 30 years experience. But if I can learn from the masters, it makes this hobby all the more enjoyable.

If I want to get dissed for wanting to do something like an alternator, overdrive, down draft carb, or simply a $10 tool that makes my life easier, I guess I can continue to hang out here.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #54
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Thumbs down Re: Anyone tried a Nu-Rex timing wrench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28 Special Coupe View Post
I agree that a tool like this is a waste of money for some folks. But I didn't start this thread for the benefit of experienced mechanics. I asked about this tool for the benefit of those, like myself, who are less knowledgeable or less mechanically inclined.

I'm trying to learn all I can. That's why I'm participating on this forum. But if there are easier ways of performing some tasks, then I'm interested in learning those ways as well. Just because Henry didn't do something a certain way doesn't make it wrong.

If I were to mow my lawn using the "original" method, I'd be using a push reel mower and it would probably take me 6 hours to do it all. Instead, I choose to use a riding mower. I save time and end up with a pretty good job, maybe not as good as with a push reel mower, but good enough. Likewise, if I can quickly and accurately set my timing with a slick tool and end up with a pretty good job, why is that bad? It's not bad, it's just different.
I think this thread has gone past the usefulness of being educational ...and now folks are seemingly trying to make it personal against others because their opinions differ. Just like an alternator conversion spawns dissention here, in my view I think this tool is much the same. You admitted it seems too good to be true. Some folks here posted their opinions but was there a real baseline to know how experienced the evaluater is in this area? Since you mention mowing grass, if I told you that a Snapper was the best riding lawnmower on the market, ---however in reality it was the ONLY riding mower I had ever used, is that a fair evaluation? Now if a lawn care professional were to make that same statement, his opinion would/should carry much more credience than mine because of his experience in all conditions. If I was a "newbie" in the Model A world and this tool was the only way I knew how to set the timing, if I was successful in using it then I would tout that it is great. As I scan thru all 54 posts, no one that I saw stated it wouldn't work, --they simply were saying it was unnecessary. I realize you, like many others here, sometimes feel overwhelmed at some of the others here that seemingly more versed or more mechanically minded however please realize that these vehicles are NOT that complicated. They were designed and utilized in a much less technological age where basic mechanics was all anyone knew how to do. People who were WAY less mechanical than you back then were able to perform maintenance on these vehicles, ...which is why they have retained their popularity and survived all these years.

While I do not know you, I truly believe that if you (--or anyone else) were to apply the money you would spend on this tool towards the purchase of a set of Factory Service Bulletins and use them as "pleasure reading", I honestly believe you will find that with a small box of tools, a willing spirit, and the knowledge you have garnered from that book you can capably tackle any task necessary to have a good running Model A. Again, these vehicles were used successfully in a time before torque wrenches, dial indicators, and ignition analyzers were invented. It is only our misguided mindset that tells us these items are necessary in today's environment.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am not pointing fingers at anyone specifically but sadly as I have followed this thread, I have come to the realization the real underlying problem with our hobby is US. To many hobbyists, because they seemingly have the inability to "problem solve" as a mechanic, they look to a 'tool' as a cure-all to make up for their inadequacies. In addition to that, hobbyists resist taking time to study the original manual and Service Bulletins ...in essence choosing not to read the real instructions first.

Look above at all the people who have stated they do not see a need for this and compare it to their track-record of advice they have given here over time. Also, think about the Will's, the Marco's, et/al and determine if they see "the need" in using this for their engines. I think you already know the answer! If I am reading what has been posted above correctly, folks are trying to use this "problem solving" tool as a means to correct excessive Drive Gear backlash, worn or improperly made Dist. Cams, worn Distributor bushings, aftermarket Distributor Bodies, and so on. If the distributor cam lobes are worn where the ignition points do not open at exact 90 degree intervals, --or if the dist plate is loose within the body, this tool will not cure those issues. The same applies to the "backlash" many engines experience. Please take the time to fix the underlying problem(s) FIRST and see if you don't get a performance gain without using this tool!! Please don't try to convince us who have taken the time to study how a component works, and then made the effort to bring everything within proper tollerances & specifications that a tool such as this is a 'must have' for our tool box. If it had been, ...wouldn't KR Wilson have manufactured one many years ago for Ford mechanics to use?

Now on the other hand, if we were talking about swapping to an alternator .........

Amen , amen , now lets go on and discuss changing to 12 volts !!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #56
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Thank goodness Tom W. didn't post a picture of his oscilloscope yet!
Where do I get one of these? And which one is best?
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #57
Milton

Just out of curiosity, how many times per week, month, year, decade (choose your time frame) do you time your cars. To be fair, lets tell whether original or upgrade points or electronic ignition. As I mentioned before, I set my Pertronix once a rebuild. In this case 11/16/2010.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #58
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Thank goodness Tom W. didn't post a picture of his oscilloscope yet!

Naw, no need to post a picture of the oscilloscope, since it can't be used to set timing. It does do a good job of showing the function of the coil, condenser, points, and plugs, and can show the degradation of carbon plugs wires, if someone decided to use them with the other style cap.

I hadn't heard of this Nurex tool to set the timing before I read this thread, but I understand how it works. It saves you from having to set the timing lever to the top of the quadrant (something you should do anyway before each start), and it saves you having to see exactly when the points are ready to open.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #59
BUBBAS IGNITION

Interesting post to say the least. Wasnt going to comment but i guess i have to after 65 replys.

Why wouldnt you want the timing on your model A engine to be "perfect "? Mark exact TDC when the engine is apart , adjust all timing linkage to be tight and smooth ( or run a automatic advance distributor) and then use this tool to adjust point opening to be perfect in time with the rest of the adjustments???
After 30 years at Newport i can tell ya that the fast Model As have the timing perfect and the slower ones dont ...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #60
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Interesting post to say the least. Wasnt going to comment but i guess i have to after 65 replys.

Why wouldnt you want the timing on your model A engine to be "perfect "? Mark exact TDC when the engine is apart , adjust all timing linkage to be tight and smooth ( or run a automatic advance distributor) and then use this tool to adjust point opening to be perfect in time with the rest of the adjustments???
After 30 years at Newport i can tell ya that the fast Model As have the timing perfect and the slower ones dont ...
OK Jim, but answer these two questions...
1) Define "perfect"?

2) How "fast" will your Model A be at Newport when you use this tool to set the ignition timing to TDC and run it up the hill timed at TDC?

Correct me if I am wrong but all this tool does is find TDC and set the dist. cam to break open the points at TDC. Since most Model A distributers have a manually controlled advance, as soon as the spark control lever is moved, I doubt anyone has a clue as to the total amount of advance they have then! And, since most people do not have a centrifugal advance distributor this tool can be used upon, AND that centrifugal distributor has not been set-up by a great ignition shop (such as Bubba's), ...again what purposeful use is this tool that cannot be achieved the Ford authorized way?

Also, what happens when this tool is used to check the points opening/breaking position on each of the other 3 cylinders? What if they don't break open at exactly TDC like #1 was set to open??

Now if NuRex had a tool to adjust valve to tappet clearance by piston position, THAT could make a smoother running, more powerful Model A engine!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com