Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
raceron1120

Default Re: trouble with Mack's shipping

I think Mac's has always been about same as you folks are saying it is now. I made several orders with them a few years ago and seems it took at least a week to get them from NY to MI. The option for $2 same- or next-day shipping isn't a bad deal.

I work with an ordering system that has what's called PLT (Production Lead Time) and ALT (Administrative LT). Unless it's a high demand, safety or insurance(must have in case a system fails) item, the depots often will only buy 'on demand' and ship either from a supplier's warehouse, or from the OEM/manufacturer. PLT and ALT are included in processing & shipping dates.

And my wife works for TRW Automotive; often they have to fill "just in time" orders while the delivery trucks are at the docks waiting for the order to be completed. In today's economy, many suppliers don't/won't tie up $$$$ in warehouse inventory unless there's a high demand and turnover rate for the items.
raceron1120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
danliveshere

I've never had a problem with MACS but they charge 51 percent freight for international orders. So you might have $1000 order thrown in 1 box and there's $510 for freight??? What the.....?
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
jimTN

Walt, call 716-204-9331 for Randy McIntosh. Let us know what he has to say.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
ct1932ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
Try --- JOE'S ANTIQUE AUTO - 1-800-508-3980 He usually ships same day or next. Just my experience.kc
I never buy from Macs, always problems!
I started using Joe's and service is great. Fair prices on parts and shipping. Great guy to do buisness with. www.JOESANTIQUEAUTO.com
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
Displayman

I just ordered lower radiator hoses. In stock.
Didn't ship until a week later.
Service sucks right now. Used to be quick.

Just my 2 cents.
Bob Hampshire, Illinois
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #26
Shadetree

I remember a problem sometime ago getting a glove box for my `35 Cabriolet. The one they shipped was too small and would not fit at all. When I complained, I received a real snippy email from someone that said my car had been modified. He copied someone on his email, I can only assume it was his supervisor showing he had done his job. Then I put this on the old Fordbarn (Shelly's) and someone told me to order one for a pickup (I think). It fit perfectly. I then sent a real snippy email back to the guy and copied the same person he did.

But overall I have been pleased with Mac's. The ladies that worked there were always helpful and pleasant and unless the part was back ordered, received it promptly. They even voluntarily tell me if the part was foriegn made.

Then too, it has been a while since I have needed parts.

Shadetree
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
barnfind08

Raceron 1120 has it right. They used to buy 40-100 pcs of an item n.o.s. from me, but now it is 5-10 pcs so they are not putting it on the shelf in quanities as they use to. I only sell n.o.s. to them. You place an order, then they e-mail me then I put an order together then I ship, then they put an order together, then they ship. Voila. You do that with a few vendors and it all takes time.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
don's 37

I buy my stuff from Joes Antique Auto. If you call or email early enough it ships same day.
don's 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
CT AV8

I've always gotten the best service, fastest delivery, and the best prices from Early Ford V8 Sales, even since they moved to SC. Lou Grosso is a good guy and very helpful.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
Mike51Merc

I commented above that Macs took eight days to ship my recent order. When they finally shipped they upgraded the shipping to overnight at no extra cost to me.

It appears they recognize the problem and are at least trying to compensate.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #31
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
Raceron 1120 has it right. They used to buy 40-100 pcs of an item n.o.s. from me, but now it is 5-10 pcs so they are not putting it on the shelf in quanities as they use to. I only sell n.o.s. to them. You place an order, then they e-mail me then I put an order together then I ship, then they put an order together, then they ship. Voila. You do that with a few vendors and it all takes time.
Back when I worked as Ford heavy truck parts manager I'd do a stock order to Ford but many non-Ford parts shipped direct from Fuller, Reyco, Timken, etc. and often arrived sooner than the Ford parts, & packaged in the vendors' boxes. Billing was from Ford Parts & Service Division. It was called Supplier Direct Ship or SDS. I think some companies do it that way to minimize 'stock on hand' at a central location along with the shipping receiving costs involved.

Guess I have a question about this topic too - "What's the hurry?" Not trying to be a smart alec, but how many of us wait until the last minute to order stuff we know that we've needed - or wanted for days, weeks or longer? I know I'm guilty of it sometimes. So who do I blame for that?

I can understand if it's something that breaks and/or is an absolutely 'gotta have it' right away piece, but.... just wondering, and just sayin'...
raceron1120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
Try --- JOE'S ANTIQUE AUTO - 1-800-508-3980 He usually ships same day or next. Just my experience.kc
Walt, I left you a catalog today. To my house in Portland, if I order from Joes B4 12:00 I usually get it the next day. Two day's Mac's, opp's-Max

My last order Joe called (after hours) to let me know an item had to be ordered but would ship everything out as soon as it came in. Great customer communication, Very happy.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
Chris

I got my Mac's order today. I called this morning to see if it had even shipped after reading this, and the guy on the phone checked the tracking number and said it was on a truck out for delivery. He said my order took 4 days to leave, he said they are "backed up". No worries on my end, a week and a half to ship something from one coast to another is reasonable.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
BL in NH

Only to repeat what others have said, Joe's Antique Auto is great. Great guy, goes out of his way to please and very fast shipping. Bob
BL in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
anteek

I have always gotten poor service from MAC's and the broads that answer the phones are unknowing at best. They don't want to ship USPS even when it's lot's cheaper. They don't honor the actual shipping cost either. That's why I use their competition.
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
Great. I just ordered some stuff last Saturday...wonder when I will get it.....
Got a email today that it is ready to ship.......took them a week to fill the order and shipping is almost twice as much as quoted.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
39portlander

Matt, suprised you would'nt use C&G or Drake bein on the left coast
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #38
Bill in Al

I've also had some slow shipping from Mac's but not bad enough to complain.On the good side,I recently returned a defective part a few days later than required and was reimbursed the total price plus shipping costs. The ladies there are as well informed as could be expected of someone who is not a mechanic.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Matt, suprised you would'nt use C&G or Drake bein on the left coast
Well one of the items I could only find listed at Mac's, So i just ordered everything. What is C & G?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
Ken Arms

I ordered a part from Dick Spadaro at 1pm and it arrived the next day at 3pm!! He is only 1 state away but still super fast!
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote