Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2023, 09:08 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Source of Seat Fabric for a 1941 Ford Special

My car is a '41 Ford Special, not a Deluxe or Super Deluxe. It was the strippo model that year like the Standard in previous years. There weren't very many made. According to the Early Ford V8 Club "green book," the seat fabric is something totally different than the Deluxe or Super Deluxe.

I've looked through stacks of catalogs and spent hours on the internet looking for a source for that fabric. As far a I can tell, no one makes, or ever has made, an upholstery kit for a '41 Ford Special.

Does anyone know of a source?

My car is relatively unmolested and I'd like to make it right if I could. On the other hand, even though they're relatively rare, they don't seem to be worth any more than a Deluxe or Super Deluxe. In other words, I'd spend A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY, but not crazy money for that '41 upholstery kit. Whatever I'd spend would go down a rat hole never to be seen again.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:09 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: Source of Seat Fabric for a 1941 Ford Special

could try Cartouche auto interiors. they were part of Echlers but don't know status now.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
Bruce_MO

You can try SMS in Oregon. They have lots of fabric types. They just furnished my cloth for my ‘46 Mercury. Just be advised that it might take a long time. I waited 8 months (they initially told me 2-3 weeks). They were out, and I had to wait for them to weave new material. And they gave me lots of bogus ship dates over the months that I waited. But they eventually came thru on a hard to find material, and the quality is great.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_MO View Post
You can try SMS in Oregon. They have lots of fabric types. They just furnished my cloth for my ‘46 Mercury. Just be advised that it might take a long time. I waited 8 months (they initially told me 2-3 weeks). They were out, and I had to wait for them to weave new material. And they gave me lots of bogus ship dates over the months that I waited. But they eventually came thru on a hard to find material, and the quality is great.
That's interesting. Haven't heard of them. Custom woven. Sounds expensive.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:14 PM   #5
v8fordman

WARNING!!! Don’t even think about SMS. They told me they had the fabric in stock. I sent them the money. Over a year later, after hearing they were having the material made, then it didn’t meet their quality and multiple phone calls, I finally got my money back. Do a google search on them with reviews.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:27 PM   #6
mhsprecher

Cartouche is no more. Ecklers shut them down.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #7
slowforty

My upholstery guy use some fabric from an late 80s Ford Taurus. Looks close and is resonable.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:18 PM   #8
52flthed

Well what IS the fabric? Is it a velour, a wool, a twill? Do you have any reference to go by like the existing fabric.?

I love the car cloth from the 30's and 40's. In my old truck because I dont like vinyl I went with real Wool Broadcloth. Which is the type of wool that was used for decades across all car brands of this era. Its breathable comfortable and looks and wears great. It's tough as nails and looks very authentic.

Believe it or not I had mine imported from very old woolen mill in England thats been making this stuff for 300 years, and it wasn't expensive. It was cheaper having it imported or the same price as the poor quality wool Cartouche was selling at the time.

A.W. Hainsworth is the name, it's a really big company with many different markets. They supply the red wool uniforms you see the Royal guards wearing. If your'e interested and serious I will share my contact with them. Just PM me. I can guide you.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote