Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2023, 08:31 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Single Wiper Operating Mechanism doesn't work

I have a '41 Ford Special with a single wiper that doesn't work. I'd like to get it to work with an original/period-correct vacuum wiper motor.

The wiper makes one sweep left to right and stops. It won't return right to left. Same result using the switch, the NOS switch I just bought, and connecting vacuum directly to the wiper motor. There are two large hoses and one small hose on the switch. I tried swapping the two large hoses in case I had them reversed. All that did was create a large vacuum leak

Reading in the EFV8 green book, "...the 1941 Ford Special series had a single left hand windshield wiper and the modified operating mechanism required to support that system."

I suspect, but don't know, that the previous owner replaced the vacuum motor and vacuum switch with standard 2-wiper replacement parts and that the "modified operating system" disappeared in the process. However I don't know what that operating system is, what it looks like or how it works so maybe it's there, or maybe it isn't.

Any thoughts on where to go from here to get that wiper working with a vacuum motor?

It's pretty inefficient to make a single sweep with the motor, stop the car, move the wiper back by hand, then resume driving, make another single sweep and repeat the process. My wife said she wouldn't sit on the floor and reach up under the dash to reset the wiper either.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 10-12-2023 at 08:37 PM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:46 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: Single Wiper Operating Mechanism doesn't work

It makes one sweep that means it will work. If you can remove it under the little cover is the actuator to make it go back & forth its likely gummy it needs cleaning. People squirt ATF fluid in the vacuum port and move the shaft back and forth as you do you will hear it 'click' that click sends vac. to move the wiper to the end of travel then 'click' the wiper returns. The ATF fluid softens and swells the paddle or pendulum . Thats what I did also a little lube on all linkage points. try it. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:57 AM   #3
Ggmac

Did you install the motor according to the green book instructions? I am currently going through my 2 1941 tudors and my 46 . I had just bolted the motors up after cleaning and resealing. Only one worked properly. Then I went to the book . It seems that the proper way to mount is to keep the motor loose ,start the car with the hoses connected, the motor will center , then tighten.
I’m sure I missed part of the install as my coffees is still brewing.
If you dont have the book I can Email you screen shots of it . Pm me if needed
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:36 AM   #4
Terry,OH

There is a switching mechanism under the rear cover. It has a couple of vacuum passages that may be caked with old grease or the switch may not be moving. If you can get vacuum to move the motor one way it would appear the switch is not moving properly, sounds like an easy fix to remove the cover and clean finish with some light grease. One of the V8 Times has photos of many of the early vacuum motors. Clean Sweep in OR can rebuild if necessary.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #5
SoCalCoupe

Well that was really weird. After a short and pleasant PM exchange with Ggmac, he referenced pages 136 -137 of a book I don't have.

Sounded like a good book so I ordered a used one off of eBay. The book arrived in the mail today from a person named "Daniel" in Ft. Collins, CO and there was an orange note card stuck between pages 136 and 137 that said "windshield wiper vacuum assembly."

Daniel, are you reading this thread?
Old 10-23-2023, 06:41 PM   #6
Ggmac

Strange omen or something everyone needs help with .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:37 AM   #7
SoCalCoupe

Took my wiper motor apart this weekend and think I found the problem: a broken rocker home spring hanger. In this picture, the good part is the second from the left.

Here's the question: where can I source another? Most of the wiper rebuild kits don't include this part. Most of the ones that do are out of stock. I see only one possible source: a Chevy kit for $65. I hate to spend $65 for this one little part. I'm posting this in the Model A forum too; looks like the same part.

Suggestions?

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 11-07-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:06 PM   #8
deuce lover

Here is what I have. If it can work PM me with your info and i will mail the part you need tomorrow. Free
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3983.jpg (39.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 11-07-2023 at 03:28 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Here is what I have. If it can work PM me with your info and i will mail the part you need tomorrow. Free

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:45 PM   #10
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
That's very kind and thoughtful. Just PM'd you with my info.