Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2023, 09:10 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Timing: Thanks to John W. Lawson (and others)

My setup is a stock 1941 flathead sleeved to 239 with an Eddie Meyer hi-rise intake and 2 Stromberg 81’s. Been working for about a year to get it dialed in. Synchronizing was easy but jetting, idle mixture and timing, not so much.

Re-read John W. Lawson’s (JWL) Flathead Facts. Yes, flatheads like hi-rise manifolds. Interestingly tuning dual Strombergs is quite a bit different than dual Holleys. Like JWL says, BINGO, taking 4 deg of timing out of stock settings wakes up performance.

Bought a KRW timing fixture from another Ford Barn member and played with it for several hours on Saturday. Car was running about 5 deg advance, 3 deg above stock timing.

Set timing back 2 deg to stock plus 1 (3 deg advance, JWL ideal?,) then back another 4 degrees (1 deg after TDC.) BINGO! Car runs much stronger, smoother, quieter, no surging or hunting, better throttle response. Hope to see improved gas mileage with the next tank of gas after taking out an amazing 6 degrees of timing. Might have to add a degree back in but the car seems to have more power and a lighter throttle touch than last week.

I should re-read JWL and my KRW fixture reading again but this again but this is all a big improvement.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Timing: Thanks to John W. Lawson (and others)

Something doesn't sound right.
flatjack9 is online now   Reply With Quote