Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #1861
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Ken, I would love to be able to post more photos on the FordBarn, problem is, to pose photos here, the photos have to be hosted on another site like PhotoBucket... I've exceeded my limit on PhotoBucket so, I can't upload any more photos to post here. FaceBook is much more user friendly, you can upload photos right from your computer. Also, FaceBook has much more Flathead related groups, with tons of photos and information. I have every intention of continuing to post here on the FordBarn and I appreciate all the support I get for my postings as well as the post I make on behalf of the Cigar City Flatheads and our cruises to the Moonshine Festival, "Barner's Bash", etc., but, if you want to see photos, you'll have to migrate over to FaceBook. Vic
Old 05-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #1862
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Ken, I would love to be able to post more photos on the FordBarn, problem is, to pose photos here, the photos have to be hosted on another site like PhotoBucket... I've exceeded my limit on PhotoBucket so, I can't upload any more photos to post here. Vic
C'mon Vic........if you had just a little more knowledge than all of that IMAGINATION allows, you'd understand that by posting on Facebook your photos BECOME hosted on the ol' interweb. I would'a thought a multi-media tycoon like you should'a had that figured-out by now. And heck, I'm even dumber with computers than I am with flatheads. Nice Merc! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #1863
B-O-B

I'm with the other two guys also. Don't do facebook. Sorry
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #1864
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
C'mon Vic........if you had just a little more knowledge than all of that IMAGINATION allows, you'd understand that by posting on Facebook your photos BECOME hosted on the ol' interweb. I would'a thought a multi-media tycoon like you should'a had that figured-out by now. And heck, I'm even dumber with computers than I am with flatheads. Nice Merc! DD

Hey Coopman, nice to know you still drop by to see what fun we imagine and are having. I will try to post a photo that I posted on FaceBook, to the FordBarn... and see if it works... My electronic expertise is limited to live and prerecorded sports and entertainment programming... in that environment I'm comfortable with computers however, in my office with the PC... not so much. I will give it a try in my next post.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #1865
Vic Piano

Flathead Fun Conversions

Lately, I’ve had a lot of guys ask me how I go about converting OEM mechanical fuel pumps (for Flathead V8’s) into pass through pumps to be fed by an electric fuel pump so, I decided to do a pictorial to demonstrate just how I make the conversion. I was going to shoot a video however, I need at least one additional helper to do that.

Here goes, the pump I’ve chosen to convert is a mid to late ’47, with the small mounting flange and the glass sediment bowl. The first step is to disassemble the pump and remove all the moving parts (be sure to replace only the pin that secures the actuating arm). This particular pump has the replaceable filters however; I just remove the filters because you won’t be able to get to them once the pump is sealed.

Next, remove the diaphragm assembly and separate the diaphragm from the shaft. We’ll be reusing the diaphragm so, don’t throw it away! At this point I clean both halves of the pump with solvent and clear all the passages with compressed air. To create a reservoir (for fuel to pool), in the top half of the pump, I use (for lack of a better term) a thumb pull from a sliding closet door. These are available at all home improvement stores. I just happened to find one in a drawer with other household goodies, that was almost a perfect fit. I ground off the outer lip and inserted it into the top section of the fuel pump. Next, I mixed up a batch of JB Weld and pressed it into the small gap between the top section of the pump and the slightly modified ‘thumb pull’. The longest part of the modification is waiting for the JB Weld to set up so, I’ll continue with the reassembly later today or tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #1866
Vic Piano

Coopman, you've unleashed a monster... Lawson will be excited, I'm sure. One question though; why are the photos displayed vertically and not one on top of the other?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #1867
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Coopman, you've unleashed a monster... Lawson will be excited, I'm sure. One question though; why are the photos displayed vertically and not one on top of the other?
You mean like this? If I told you how, I'd be showin'-off, and you hate that. You can figure it out.......just a little common sense. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #1868
Vic Piano

That's cool, not showing off, that's helping. I don't hate showing off, I just don't feel compelled to have to do it. I share what knowledge I've gleaned over the years, only if I know that what I'm saying is correct. Again, not showing off, just helping, that's what this forum should be all about, helping others and sharing and enjoying the experience.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #1869
V8COOPMAN

I'd bet if KUBE was here, he'd probably say something like......."I keep tellin' ya, ya gotta take care of the small DETAILS, Vic".

Anyway, the detail you overlooked here is the cursor placement. Ya gotta bump your cursor DOWN before attaching next picture. Picture attaches where the cursor is directed. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #1870
KGS

Quote:
That's cool, not showing off, that's helping. I don't hate showing off, I just don't feel compelled to have to do it. I share what knowledge I've gleaned over the years, only if I know that what I'm saying is correct. Again, not showing off, just helping, that's what this forum should be all about, helping others and sharing and enjoying the experience.
Now there ya go Vic... That wasn't hard was it.
Now your dialog on the "Barn" is again supplemented with pictures
to help us "sight hounds" get the whole... ahh, err, umm,
ah, picture
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #1871
adileo

A picture is worth a.......thanks these pics really tell the story, I actually think I got how to do this") but Vic ur not off the hook for a Dec visit
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #1872
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I'd bet if KUBE was here, he'd probably say something like......."I keep tellin' ya, ya gotta take care of the small DETAILS, Vic".

Anyway, the detail you overlooked here is the cursor placement. Ya gotta bump your cursor DOWN before attaching next picture. Picture attaches where the cursor is directed. DD
I thought I had placed the cursor at the bottom of the previous photo... I'll give it another try later with the finishing up photos. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #1873
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
A picture is worth a.......thanks these pics really tell the story, I actually think I got how to do this") but Vic ur not off the hook for a Dec visit
Andy, you know you are welcome any time. I'll post some more photos of the reassembly tomorrow. I gotta thank Coopman for that, now I can really bug Lawson... LOL
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #1874
Lawson Cox

Hey Vic. I am going to need a refresher course on posting pictures with my new setup. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #1875
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Hey Vic. I am going to need a refresher course on posting pictures with my new setup. LOL
Lawson, no need for you to do that, just keep looking at my post... I'm sure you'll enjoy them
Old 05-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #1876
Vic Piano

Ok, I'll try this photo posting thing again, here goes.

Flathead Fun Conversions, Part III
Now for the third, and final installment, on how and why I convert OEM fuel pumps to ‘pass through’ pumps. Now that we converted the fuel pump and reinstalled it on the fuel pump stand and to the intake manifold, its time to mount the electric fuel pump. I use Airtex electric fuel pumps and Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulators in my vehicles however; there are a number of manufacturers to choose from. I mount the electric pump as close to the gas tank as possible, using the rear cross member or the drivers side frame rail. In most cases I incorporate rubber fuel line (using new fuel line that is alleged to be impervious to ethanol gas) with the steel fuel line. You will have to cut the steel fuel line to make room for the electric fuel pump and filter. When I use the converted pass through OEM style fuel pump (to maintain the look of originality under the hood) I mount the fuel pressure regulator just in front of the electric fuel pump, on the frame. If you are running duel exhaust, you may want to wrap the electric fuel pump and pressure regulator with a heat shielding material to keep the heat from the driver’s side exhaust pipe away from the fuel pump, etc. If I’m not using the modified OEM fuel pump, and opt for a block off plate on the fuel stand or intake manifold, I mount the fuel pressure regulator on the firewall between the gas tank fuel line and the carburetor. I set the fuel pressure regulator a 2.5 lbs.
If your vehicle is still 6 volt, positive ground, you can install a 6 volt fuel pump however, you will have to reverse the two wires, making the ground wire the hot wire and the hot wire the ground wire. This will reverse the polarity so the pump will function as a positive ground unit. I always install a “kill switch” between the electric pump and the power source, this way you can stop the pump if it becomes necessary. For the electrical connection, I take the lead off the ignition switch that is only ‘hot’ when the ignition is in the ON position. I also run and in-line fuse between the ignition switch and “Kill Switch”. The electric fuel pump installation instructions should have a recommended fuse size. It is important, when installing a 6 volt unit, to use the appropriate size wire (remember, 6 volt systems use heaver gauge wire) I place the “Kill Switch” in a convenient location, hidden but easily accessible, under the dashboard.
Now that the conversion and installation is complete, its time to test for leaks. It’s a good idea to have someone help you at this point. First, fire up the vehicle and check the converted fuel pump at the fuel line connections. Second, check all the connections at the electric fuel pump. If nothing is leaking, rev the engine to see if it is getting a smooth supply of fuel. If it is sucking air or leaking fuel at any of the connections, I use Indian Head Shellac at each connection, coating the threads and/or the steel lines where the rubber hose attaches to it. I also allow for an inch or two of rubber hose to overlap the steel line. Use the appropriate size clamps and make sure to snug them up. In the photos you can see the "Kill Switch" mounted under the dash in my '39 Ford CS (6 volt positive ground) and the electric fuel pump, etc. mounted on the cross member and frame rail of my '39 Lincoln Zephyr CC, 12 volt negative ground, conversion), also the modified OEM fuel pump mounted to the fuel pump stand and intake manifold in my '39 Ford CS.
Now, you are ready for some trouble free (as far as fuel delivery goes) cruisin’. Enjoy!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #1877
adileo

Vic

Well done, take a bow
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #1878
Vic Piano

Andy, I've got to thank Coopman, for letting me know how to post photos from FaceBook. I was under the impression that you could only post photos that were hosted on a photo hosting site like Photo Bucket. Only trouble is, if I have something that is FordBarn specific, I can't post the photo here without putting it on FaceBook, etc.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #1879
Vic Piano

Old 05-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #1880
Vic Piano

Here's something that should interest all Flathead Fans. As you know, from some of my previous postings, we have been working on our friend Joe's '48 Merc Rag Top, because he said it had developed a 'knock'. Well, last Saturday we dropped the oil pan and found some wear on the outer bearing surfaces on number 1 and number 5. We decided to pull the heads to check the pistons and, this is what we found on #5... Interesting, right... Thankfully, the cylinder wall was not damaged Now clean up begins while we wait for all the new parts to arrive so we can reassemble the Flathead and get Joe's Merc back to doin' some topless cruisin!