Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
29tudorsedan

Default Two questions under the car

I installed the shocks I had Robert Paul rebuild, and wow! I can't get over how much better the car feels.

I've been meaning to ask this here for awhile but hadn't taken a picture of it. What exactly is this?

I mean what looks kind of like a long tube shock running from the axle to the steering arm, is it necessary, or was it something in place because the car had previously not had shocks on it?

Also while I was installing the shocks, I noticed the front spring clips were just sitting at the end of the spring. Can they be put back where they need to be with the spring on the car? Or does it need to be removed? Looking at the spring while I was under there I think it needs to be pulled and looked at anyways, do you agree?

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0698.jpg (191.9 KB, 213 views)
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
gridleak

Default Re: Two questions under the car

steering stabilizer
gridleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Yep, an aftermarket stabilizer. They are installed to cover up a problem. If the front end is correct, they are not needed.

Forgot the second part. If you let the front suspension hang, you could get a grease needle in between the leaves and give them a squirt. If you decide to remove the spring, use a big c-clamp when removing the canter bolt.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 12-16-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Tom Endy

There was one on my Vic when I bought it years ago. On a tour I found I was having difficulty making a left turn. It seemed I did not have proper turning radius. I had to pull hard on the wheel to complete the turn. Before the tour was over the problem had shifted to the right side.

During an after tour inspection I found the tie rod badly bent. What had happened was the bolts that clamp one end to the tie rod had loosened sufficiently to allow the clamp to move along the rod.

I removed it and rebuilt the front end.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

as was mentioned its a steering stabilizer essentially a sideways mounted shock to stop death wobble. its sold in the aftermarket to cover up front end problems that would be the cause of steering wheel shake///shimmy. its best to find out what the real cause of the problem is then to mask it with a stabilizer as the problem is most likely safety related. some later model modern trucks come from the factory with these go figure
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

See all the red on your spring.

That is rust between the leaves.

They need to come apart and be cleaned and lubricated. No rush, but that can affect handling.

When ever you have red stuff coming out from a metal to metal joint you have to be concerned with movement. Look at your spring perches where they attach to the axle/ wishbone. If you see some red on the edges that is rust dust being pushed out of a loose joint (Just using this as an example that is commonly seen in the field).

The steering stabilizer is a band aid for other problems. Would not be surprised if your whole front end and steering box needs to come out at some point.

For now look close at what you have, learn and be aware. Take the time to figure out what you have and the best way to fix any problems you find.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
J Franklin

Remove 8 nuts and the spring will come out. The center bolt and shackles are inspected after it is out.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
29tudorsedan

Thank you! I have about five miles I drive in case I have nowhere else to go, so I did the route with the stabilizer and shocks, and without the stabilizer, and felt no difference, so it must have mostly been a no-shock band-aid. I will go through the front end soon though.

How tight should the steering be if all is correct? There is maybe an inch of play as it sets now, and it doesn't feel like a handful while driving, but should I be looking to have less once I've gone through everything?

Thanks for your input and help!

Last edited by 29tudorsedan; 12-16-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: measured play
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

An inch is pretty good and with mint parts and adjustments you might get it down to half an inch. I sure wouldn't worry about an inch as long as you don't have the death wobble when you hit a bump or cross railroad tracks.

BTW, my 1971 Scout came from the factory with a steering stabilizer, but I figure it's only useful for off roading when the front wheels roll over rocks and ruts, so the steering wheel doesn't jerk back and forth so much.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
jimvette59

Early VWs came with them . I used one on my 34 to " dampen " the steering because it was to easy to steer. Steel Corvair box in the original location. Go figure !!!!!
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote