Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2023, 06:25 PM   #21
jack backer
BANNED

Default Re: Off topic, 41 Lincoln V12 going cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I'm not sure that I'd put the flathead V8 as a whole into the "piece of shit" category. They had problems starting out in '32 and the V8 60 was in my opinion not a success. However, the 221 & 239ci V8's I don't see as shitty. With all due respect.

Prone to overheat and crack throughout its run,poor power to weight ratio.. burned oil till ‘37.. Ford had enough cash to see it through, it would have broke any other manufacturer at the time. Sexy looking, sound cool, costly to rebuild..I apologize if I offended you, cars are different because not all people like one flavor, like ice cream.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 06:28 PM   #22
nkaminar

No offense taken. I am learning a lot.

Yeah, that row of 6 two-throat Webers would allow that V12 to suck some air. It would not be too hard to make a manifold using 3D printing. A funny thing to discover when lifting the hood. Given the comments of others regarding the quality issues, I'll take the Ferrari.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #23
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
... row of 6 two-throat Webers would allow that V12 to suck some air. It would not be too hard to make a manifold using 3D printing. ..... Given the comments of others regarding the quality issues, I'll take the Ferrari.
Looks like 4 2 throats would handle it seems the front pair and rear pair of cylinders share an intake port. But that Ferrari idea is out the window when you consider adding a real blown Hot Rod Lincoln engine.
3D printing isn't all it's cracked up to be for prototype hot rod work. Some tubing and flanges (use the gaskets for patterns) are cheap and fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (8.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg v12Lincoln.jpg (91.1 KB, 12 views)
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 05:07 AM   #24
jack backer
BANNED

Pouring fuel into it doesn’t fix the inherent breathing issues in the block .. pistons the size of small peaches is another detriment when not building rpm.. the Ferrari builds torque at high rpm..you can’t spin that Lincoln fast enough. It’s a great luxury car engine, extremely smooth with adequate power..but that’s about it.. leave the songs to the lost planet airmen, build hotrod engines with big pistons that breathe..say what you want about Zora Duntov and that engine he designed for GM, but they did get the equation right..
Old 05-12-2023, 05:19 AM   #25
jack backer
BANNED

Which brings up the obvious.. Ford did build a good engine highly adaptable for performance which develops great torque at low rpm..improve its breathing, add compression and fuel, along with mechanical ignition timing, the delightful torque it has stock builds along side the horsepower improvement.. most everyone on here has that engine..

Big pistons, almost square bore and stroke,adequate in block intake and exhaust runners that easily allow doubling the horsepower. Take a 90 year old design, bolt on a few parts and compete in modern traffic..
Old 05-12-2023, 08:50 AM   #26
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Prone to overheat and crack throughout its run,poor power to weight ratio.. burned oil till ‘37.. Ford had enough cash to see it through, it would have broke any other manufacturer at the time. Sexy looking, sound cool, costly to rebuild..I apologize if I offended you, cars are different because not all people like one flavor, like ice cream.
No offense taken. I have rebuilt 5 flathead V8s, outsourced machine shop work, I assembeled the engines. I have not experienced any of the oil burning or overheat issues you mentioned. I do run NOS or cleaned radiators in all cars. I suppose if I was worried about power to weight ratio, I'd install a modern OHV engine. But then everyone drives one of those.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 09:29 AM   #27
jack backer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
No offense taken. I have rebuilt 5 flathead V8s, outsourced machine shop work, I assembeled the engines. I have not experienced any of the oil burning or overheat issues you mentioned. I do run NOS or cleaned radiators in all cars. I suppose if I was worried about power to weight ratio, I'd install a modern OHV engine. But then everyone drives one of those.

You’ve led a good life, karma smiles on you. Been around a few of them myself, mainly cracked ones..