Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
f1builder

Default 53 merc monterey h/t

my buddy is putting a late flathead v8 in his 53 monterey h/top. he is using a 53 merc 3sp tranny w/od. can anyone tell us what kind of tranny adaptor he needs. i gave him a hogshead that has the right bolt pattern for the tranny but not sure of the setup. any pics would be fantastic but any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
george
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 53 merc monterey h/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
my buddy is putting a late flathead v8 in his 53 monterey h/top. he is using a 53 merc 3sp tranny w/od. can anyone tell us what kind of tranny adaptor he needs. i gave him a hogshead that has the right bolt pattern for the tranny but not sure of the setup. any pics would be fantastic but any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
george
53' flathead is about as late as they come.
There isn't any adapter just the correct flywheel housing.
If it originally had an automatic then there are a lot of other components that will have to be acquired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53.jpg (47.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 53 tran (2).jpg (41.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The 53 Merc should have had a flathead V8 when new. The late 51 through 53 all had the same basic manual transmission with 52 & 53 using the same cast iron bell housing, similar to late 51 but with different clutch release, and the rear mounts for these were all basically the same, even if the auto trans was installed. Mercs used the Borg & Beck clutch if they were standard shift types.

What type of motor was in the car?
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
f1builder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
thanks guys.....it was an automatic but i got the clutch/brake assembly from a 54 merc parts car that was running a Y block i believe. i had a 53 tudor that had the o/d tranny in it and i think we have most of the parts in the diagram (thanks 51). the car didn't have a motor or tranny in it when i bought it years ago but it would have had the V8 flattie. i will help my buddy get all the parts together that we have and get some pics posted. thanks a lot for your help. george in south dakota.
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote