Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Ron/IA

Default Tire rotation

I did not read threads posted over last weekend til today. I read with interest the tire rotation of non-radial tires started by Skip on 6-6-10, and at the end of that thread was a diagram for rotating radial and conventional tires; a diagram many of us have seen and used (apparently except me).

Now for my writing; I have not been doing the conventional rotation as shown in the diagram (move fronts straight back, move rears forward and crossing). I'll explain why later, but let me back up in time a bit.

I think you can remember (if you are old enough, no offense intended) when radials came out, that the tire companies wanted everyone to use the following: move fronts straight back to the rear, and move rears straight forward to the front. I owned a Ford Bronco at the time, and using that method just did not give me the tire mileage I expected. Since four-wheel drives were usually hard on front tires, I decided to try something different (and here is where I starting doing the rotation wrong, but for the life of me I don't know why). I moved the fronts back and crossing to the rear, and moved the rears straight forward to the front (just the opposite to the above said diagram). I got more tire mileage before wearing them out on all the vehicles I have owned since. I did not know I was using the conventional tire rotation method backwards.

Now, before you give me h**l for doing it wrong all this time, I have proof it works; I drove my last four-wheel drive GMC pickup 314,000 miles, and used that rotation scheme. I put only 3-sets of tires on that truck, and they were 60,000-mile rated tires. I also use the same rotation scheme on my A, and I have not replaced the tires on it due to mileage, but to old age.

I know, I have probably committed some tire rotation crime, but it has saved me money in new tires over the years.

Has anybody made the same mistake I have?

As said by another poster - "Your mileage may vary! Tee! Hee!

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/

Last edited by Ron/IA; 06-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: Tire rotation

Ron: I have been rotating my Model A tires as long as I have owned the '30 Coupe (52 years) and have had success with a pattern that includes the spare. It is spare to front left, to right rear to left rear to right front to spare. Half way through their life at 15 K miles, I dismount all five from the rims and remount with the inside out. I have been getting between thirty and thirty five thousand on 19" Firestones. The 21 inch Firestones on our '29 Town Sedan haven't been making 30 K. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote