Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
highbeams

Thumbs up eight thirty-seven 5/16ths

eight thirty-seven 5/16ths = the machine-screw (two) of the 1933 V8 emblem attached to the grill. per my local Ace is the Place. It, of course is not in stock, so I ordered one. . . . the smallest quantity recquired by their supplier is one boxful of fifty+-. I ordered a week back. Upon my order, David, the manager here of Ace, said that it'll be two weeks' time. I forgot about the lockwasher, but no biggie; I'll bring in one that I have for ordering.

The machine-screw was measured = 8 is the size, 37 is the thread count. 5/16 length.

Last edited by highbeams; 08-07-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: wanted to . . .
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Lanny

Default Re: eight thirty-seven 5/16ths

Hey Pat, you got a Picture of the screw you need

Old 08-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
Late model

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
eight thirty-seven 5/16ths = the machine-screw (two) of the 1933 V8 emblem attached to the grill. per my local Ace is the Place. It, of course is not in stock, so I ordered one. . . . the smallest quantity recquired by their supplier is one boxful of fifty+-. I ordered a week back. Upon my order, David, the manager here of Ace, said that it'll be two weeks' time. I forgot about the lockwasher, but no biggie; I'll bring in one that I have for ordering.

The machine-screw was measured = 8 is the size, 37 is the thread count. 5/16 length.

Highbeams,

You might want to check with Ace on the screws they ordered for you. I can't find any thread chart that lists a 37 TPI for a #8 screw, just 32 TPI and 36TPI. It could be a Ford proprietary screw but I suspect a typo or a verbal miscue. It's happened to me more than once.
You may want to try some of the vintage Ford parts suppliers if you haven't already.
Also, here is a link to McMaster-Carr. They have 8-36 screws in stainless and plain steel. They have a 25 piece minimum.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/thre...ips-screws-11/

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210721_111503.jpg (47.7 KB, 9 views)
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might try Michael at 3rd Gen. P.S. call, don't try email, PM, ect, call.

Third Gen Automotive
Phone: 844-327-5988
Url: thirdgenauto.com
2600 Old Nashville Hwy
McMinnville, TN 37110

Last edited by JSeery; 08-08-2021 at 07:14 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:29 AM   #5
highbeams

Actually, I do. I will post just fer grins.

I have two emblems; both orig. One with verrrrry slight evidence of facing the road ahead back in '33+. I'm so delighted that it has proof. Two screws & lockwashers.

The other was in the '33 3w glove box; it had one screw, one lockwasher. Apparently remove from the grill due to hanging crooked.

I ordered the boxful because I'm paranoid.! Only 6 bucks +-

I placed the post for '33 owners. This is something that no one thinks about until they need one. I'd gladly send some out, once I get the boxful - would have to be a padded envelope. cost of postage and cost of scre = same +-!

Surely I''l get the boxful when it arrives at the hdwe store. I'll give them some for their stock, but who else would want this orphan!
Old 08-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late model View Post
Highbeams,

You might want to check with Ace on the screws they ordered for you. I can't find any thread chart that lists a 37 TPI for a #8 screw, just 32 TPI and 36TPI. It could be a Ford proprietary screw but I suspect a typo or a verbal miscue. It's happened to me more than once.
You may want to try some of the vintage Ford parts suppliers if you haven't already.
Also, here is a link to McMaster-Carr. They have 8-36 screws in stainless and plain steel. They have a 25 piece minimum.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/thre...ips-screws-11/

Don
Oh, thank you, Don!

I just replied to Lanny, prior to reading yours(this). I'll use your info.

Pat highbeams.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
Actually, I do have a picture. I will post just fer grins.

I have two emblems; both orig. One with verrrrry slight evidence of facing the road ahead back in '33+. I'm so delighted that it has proof. Two screws & lockwashers.

The other was in the '33 3w glove box; it had one screw, one lockwasher. Apparently remove from the grill due to hanging crooked.

I ordered the boxful because I'm paranoid.! Only 6 bucks +-

I placed the post for '33 owners. This is something that no one thinks about until they need one. I'd gladly send some out, once I get the boxful - would have to be a padded envelope. cost of postage and cost of scre = same +-!

Surely I''l get the boxful when it arrives at the hdwe store. I'll give them some for their stock, but who else would want this orphan!
=============================================

Hi Pat, just a note to say that this post here is in the Late Ford ('54 and newer), so they might not get the humor of the picture posting thing.
Post a picture here anyway, of your '33 3 window, as everyone enjoys looking at one of those early Fords... Thanks

Old 08-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
rich b

I'm sure most of you already know; but many wire crimper/stripper pliers have screw shears at the pivot point. Easy to cut mild steel machine screws to any length needed (and the need to only stock long screws).
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:17 AM   #9
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
I'm sure most of you already know; but many wire crimper/stripper pliers have screw shears at the pivot point. Easy to cut mild steel machine screws to any length needed (and the need to only stock long screws).
Thank you all so much for your info.

highbeams.