Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #1
cederholm

Default Shifting advice

I’m having a tough time getting in to second when under way. I’m pretty sure it’s user error. I haven’t driven the car in almost three years. Shifts fine in all gears when at a full stop.

Have any advice to improve my shifting?

Thanks!
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Shifting advice

At what speed are you shifting? Is it just 1->2 or also 3->2?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #3
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederholm View Post
I’m having a tough time getting in to second when under way. I’m pretty sure it’s user error. I haven’t driven the car in almost three years. Shifts fine in all gears when at a full stop.

Have any advice to improve my shifting?

Thanks!
I go from 1st to 2nd as soon as I get rolling, I know others will disagree but on the flat I will often start in 2nd.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:44 PM   #4
eagle

Make sure the idle speed of the engine is set low. Shift into second soon, as said above "as soon as you get rolling". Pause between gears, give the gears time.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:33 PM   #5
bruceincam

I'll agree with "shift as soon as you get rolling" and add that I always double clutch on any shift up or down. Every now and again, I'll press a little harder on that 1-2 shift. When I do so, I bump the throttle as I shift to 2. It's the same process as the 3-2 down shift.
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:08 PM   #6
Mulletwagon

When the trans is cold, the first to second shift can normally be done without double clutching. Once warmed up a short shift to second with double clutch is the best. On the downshift from third to second the sequence is typically clutch, neutral, raise rpm briefly with throttle blip, clutch and drop in second. Once smooth shifts are routine - you have become a Model A ace.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:37 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Check the oil level in the transmission. Make sure it is full.

If it is really cold there, on a cold engine, shift quickly from 1st to 2nd. The gears are slowing down quickly in the thick oil.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:57 PM   #8
Big hammer

Shift from 1st to 2nd, 5-8 mph. 2nd to 3rd, 15-18 mph. One cold morning driving to high school I had to keep it in low gear for block before trying to shift, that black 600W transmission oil must have been like frozen ice cream!
Old 01-28-2023, 10:31 PM   #9
Rob Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Shift from 1st to 2nd, 5-8 mph. 2nd to 3rd, 15-18 mph. One cold morning driving to high school I had to keep it in low gear for block before trying to shift, that black 600W transmission oil must have been like frozen ice cream!

So, Ted, what kind of cigarettes did ya smoke on the way ta school, at 16, with that fresh drivers license and kick ass Model a? I was puffin' on Camels in my coupe. Kept them in my shirt sleeve. Made me look tuff. LOL
Old 01-29-2023, 08:56 AM   #10
cederholm

Very helpful advice all. I can already see one mistake I’m making. Waiting too long to shift!
Old 01-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #11
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Doe View Post
So, Ted, what kind of cigarettes did ya smoke on the way ta school, at 16, with that fresh drivers license and kick ass Model a? I was puffin' on Camels in my coupe. Kept them in my shirt sleeve. Made me look tuff. LOL
No smoking allowed in an A, Ifn you set it on fire it would go up like Christmas tree . That winter was very cold one morning I had parked the car in the wrong gear and it took both hands to move into the right gear. No exhaling on the windshield, exhaling on the side windows.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #12
Ramman

To me, the Model A engine is almost like an old Harley. Close to not needing a transmission. Definitely able to go from 1st to 3rd and 3rd out of a corner.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:50 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Unsynchronized gearboxes are a little more complicated to shift due to the necessary rpm matching needed. Usually just double clutching works for up shift since rpm needed for the upshift is lower than for downshift. The double clutch allows time for the input and cluster to slow down enough for a seamless shift. If oil level is low then it won't slow as fast. Keep in mind that is doesn't need to slow a lot to catch the next gear on a low rpm engine. Downshifting requires an increase in throttle position to match rpm for the gear speed needed for a relatively seamless shift from high down to 2nd. From second to 1st needs more rpm so most folks just avoid downshifting to 1st.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:53 PM   #14
cederholm

Very helpful advice all! I got my mojo back! …though I do need to practice downshifting.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #15
1crosscut

I was working on a 28 Tudor yesterday for a gent. He was having the same kind trouble with up shifts and downshifting into 2nd without severely clashing the gears was impossible.

I drove it and was experiencing the same issues until finding the trouble.

Turns out that the cable from the battery to the starter was moved to a battery cut off switch by the steering column.
The relocated battery cable was getting pinched between the cross member and the clutch pedal arm not allowing the pedal full travel. Wasn't much travel lost but it was enough.
The cable was worn to the point it had shorted a few times.
Re-routed a new cable and now it shifts smooth as butter.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:59 PM   #16
SHEC

1crosscut - -
Good news and a good Model A man. Simple problem handled and now safer for everyone and all the more enjoyable. Well done!
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #17
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Doe View Post
You were the kids my mom warned me about......
When I was in HS 64-68 we had one guy who drove a Model A (they had 3). His dad was an antique collector and they lived in a big old house. I remember him showing up to the prom in a racoon coat. I wonder what that would be worth today.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #18
1crosscut

Thanks SHEC. One of the things l like about working on Model A's and old stuff in general is trying to figure out the curveballs they can throw at you.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:07 PM   #19
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederholm View Post
Very helpful advice all. I can already see one mistake I’m making. Waiting too long to shift!

Almost without fail, getting my car out after the winter it takes me a bit to get back in the groove. I've taught a couple guys to drive my Fordor and both of them initially made the 1-2 shift way too slow. Must be something about wanting to be gentle with an old car.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:18 AM   #20
Rob Doe

ModelA29, 64-68 were my HS years also. We had a guy that drove a 46 Cadilac hearse to school. I was the second Model A at the time, but a couple years previous there were a few more. Great memories.