Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #1501
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Tom, I'm in total agreement with you, I think I'll pick up some Startron. I'm also going to install electric pumps, in line with the mechanical, to see how that works... One thing I can't be accused of, is letting our Flatheads sit for to long... LOL
I'll probably jinx myself but I've been using the cheaper electric pump from the auto parts stores for years. I also use a fuel regulator to stay around 1.5 lbs of fuel pressure. Ya don't want to fix one thing and screw up another!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 AM   #1502
Vic Piano

Yup, I run electric fuel pumps on our '47 Convertible and our '51 F-1. I also use a fuel pressure regulator, set to 1.5 lbs. on each. I have also installed a "kill switch" for the pumps, out of sight, under the dash on both. For the '39's, I'm thinking about gutting a manual pump and trying to install a steel fuel line inside (Marv on the forum is also going to try this) to disguise the fact that an electric pump is in use. The problem with using an electric pump in unison with a manual pump (in its stock configuration) is; when and if the diaphragm in the manual pump fails, gas will find its way into the crankcase... not a good scenario...
Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #1503
Vic Piano

Here are a few question for all you '32 through early '38 Flathead guys... Will the intake manifold from a 59A fit (and function) on a '37 21 stud...? Is the generator mount the same on each...? what about the height of the deck on the manifold where the oil fill/breather/fuel pump mounts, is it the same...? Can you use the '37's push rod for the fuel pump with the 59A intake? Thanks. Vic

I forgot to mention that the manifold on the '37 is aluminum and the 59A is cast iron, if that makes any difference.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #1504
Ed Pitts

Vic, here are a couple of pics showing the aluminum manifold and the 59A manifold. You will need the longer push rod for the fuel pump on the 59 and there is a difference in the front as shown. Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3413.JPG (101.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3414.JPG (128.0 KB, 52 views)
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #1505
Vic Piano

Ed, thanks for the info and photos, I appreciate it. Vic
Old 03-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #1506
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I got the '39 LZ's carb back from Charlie NY today, installed it and the Zephyr is running nicely. The weather here is wet today so I didn't take the car out for a long drive... Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so, we'll go for an extended cruise. The '39 CS is still experiencing fuel delivery problems... The only thing left to check is to see if the fuel line (I replaced it around 12 years ago) has been compromised, and is sucking air. If I get a chance, later today, I'll put her up on the lift and see if I can trace the line and detect and moisture... Fun...Fun...Fun...
Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #1507
Steves46

Hi Vic. With regards to the 39 CS, did you switch to an electric pump or is still mechanical? Steve
Old 03-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #1508
Vic Piano

I was talking on the phone with a friend (one of the Cigar City Flatheads) and we were discussing the fuel delivery problem with the '39 CS, when I had an epiphany... I remembered that when we swapped out fuel pumps at Art's house, during the Florida "Barner's Bash", we had removed the glass bowl on the fuel pump, to fill it with gas, to help prime the pump... Well, I just checked to see if the bowl was snug against the gasket and... it was just a little loose, enough (I hope) to let air in and evaporate fuel. I tightened the bowl, hand choked the carb and, (without the ignition on), cranked the engine from the button on the solenoid. Almost instantly the bowl filled with fuel. I turned the ignition on, hit the starter button and she fired up... Sometimes I forget to "always check the simple things first". Now I'll let the car sit for a few hours and check the level of gas in the bowl. Hopefully it will be full. It is still raining so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to take both of the '39's out for drives...
Old 03-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #1509
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Hi Vic. With regards to the 39 CS, did you switch to an electric pump or is still mechanical? Steve
Hi Steve, no, it still has the mechanical pump. I just posted what I did, when I saw your post. Tomorrow the sun is supposed to make an appearance so, I hope to get both the '39's out for some fun...
Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #1510
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pitts View Post
Vic, here are a couple of pics showing the aluminum manifold and the 59A manifold. You will need the longer push rod for the fuel pump on the 59 and there is a difference in the front as shown. Ed
The aluminum manifold shown in the picture is the36 style. A 37- 39 aluminum manifold has the same gen height as the blue one.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #1511
Vic Piano

Thanks Jerry, I didn't realize that the '37 intake was the same as the '39, I thought it was more like the earlier intakes.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #1512
Vic Piano

I went out a few minutes ago and fired the '39 CS... She fired right up and ran beautifully. The rain has eased up so, I took her around the block a few times and everything is working as it should. I'll leave her alone overnight and see how the gas looks in the glass bowl in the morning...
Old 03-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #1513
Steves46

That is great news Vic. Come to think of it, the same thing happened on my 46 years ago and after snugging-up the glasss bowl, the problem went away.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #1514
Vic Piano

Steve, I'll see how things go in the morning... If the sun is out and the cars fire up, I'll be out cruisin'. If not... well... that's another story
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #1515
Vic Piano

The sun was out this morning, although the temp was a little cool for my taste. Undaunted, I went out into the garage to see if the two '39's would fire up. First I tried the Zephyr and she instantly came to life. I backed her out of the garage and went to the '39 CS. The CS also fired up with no hesitation. Next I took the LZ for a drive. We went approximately 30 miles, she did have a hiccup at speed,(must have been some crud in the gas), because she leveled out and was fine for the rest of the drive. We got home and I took the '39 CS on the same drive. She did not miss a beat! After the drives, (I let both cars sit for a while) each of them fired up right away so... it looks like the problems have been solved, at least for now. Now I need an excuse to take a nice long road trip in each...
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #1516
Vic Piano

Took another drive with both '39's and noticed some air bubbles in the fuel bowl on the LZ's fuel pump... Air is getting into the fuel line/fuel pump from somewhere and still causing a problem... Now to find it... Oh well... just more fun with Flatheads
Old 03-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #1517
41ford1

Yard Guard?? Wow. Don't let Slick out.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #1518
Vic Piano

Chuck, Slick's too smart for the gators...
Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #1519
Vic Piano

A couple of questions for Coupe & Sedan guys. My friend Don has a '37 coupe with no headliner, it is also missing the "rods" that go from side to side and hold the headliner in place. He is looking for the "rods" so he can have a headliner installed. Do any of you know how many are needed in the '37 Coupe, if they are re-popped, or if any one has an OEM set for sale? Thanks. Vic
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #1520
Vic Piano

I took both '39's out for a drive this morning and, much to my chagrin, they are each still having some fuel delivery problems. I found the problem with the LZ, the fitting going into the fuel pump, from the fuel line on the firewall, is not correct and is not sealing. At idle everything is fine but, when driving and "giving her gas", she bogs down... air is getting into the line... I think I'll order two new flex fuel lines from Bob Shewman (spelling) and see if they fix the problem with the Zephyr. The '39 CS is another story... She fires up and runs great but, when I shut her off and let her sit for a while, she won't start unless I hand choke the carb to get it to pull fuel... once she is running, everything is fine... Almost feels like Vapor Lock but the car is not hot... This brings me back to my original thought... I think I'll pick up two electric fuel pumps, one 6 volt for the CS and one 12 volt for the LZ...