Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
oldforder

Default transmission grease

The trans in my recently acquired 29 was low, so I filled it with a mixture of 140 and 25% STP. I Have basically put it up for the winter now, but was wondering if there is a better grease to use in a leaker, besides the 600w stuff that has to be ordered from specialty shops. I was a snapper OPE dealer for 40 years, and snapper uses "00" grease in virtually every gearbox. Tiller worm gears, snowblowers, rider mowers, etc, etc. I was wondering if it would be good in the transmission in my A? It wouldn't leak as much I am sure, as Snapper gearboxes aren't really sealed that good, and any other grease in them leaks out but not the "00".
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
MAG

Default Re: transmission grease

When the Model A Transmission is set up in "as new" condition the 600W lubricant will stay in the case.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldforder View Post
The trans in my recently acquired 29 was low, so I filled it with a mixture of 140 and 25% STP. I Have basically put it up for the winter now, but was wondering if there is a better grease to use in a leaker, besides the 600w stuff that has to be ordered from specialty shops. I was a snapper OPE dealer for 40 years, and snapper uses "00" grease in virtually every gearbox. Tiller worm gears, snowblowers, rider mowers, etc, etc. I was wondering if it would be good in the transmission in my A? It wouldn't leak as much I am sure, as Snapper gearboxes aren't really sealed that good, and any other grease in them leaks out but not the "00".

There's a bolt on "doo dad" you can buy from most vendors that helps with the trans leak.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
WHN

I have never owned a Model A that didn’t leave a little oil here and there, (marks it’s spot).

We have had very good luck using half 600w trans oil and half STP. Also helps in the shifting. Some people use 100 percent STP in trans and rear end.

Remember your u joint. We use, I hate to say this to a Snapper dealer, John Deere Cornhead grease. Enjoy.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

Always use modern oils in your Model A, engine, trans, rear, etc. They are far better than old-school.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
oldforder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
John Deere corn head grease, and cotton picker grease and snapper 00 are all the same. I know that if everything is perfect it won't leak, but this car is far from perfect, and never will be while I own it, (which will probably be the rest of my life), so I just want to do the best for it that I can the simplest and cheapest that I can. I am using 15/40 Valvoline hdeo in the engine. I have lots of stp in my stash, so could go to a 50/50 mix. But I still wonder if 00 would be good to use. I am also wondering about some stp in the engine, although with 15/40, would it be to thick, as I would think with basically a splash system that the oil could be to thick to properly run into the bearings etc.

Last edited by oldforder; 11-29-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
oldforder

What is this bolt on "doo dad" that you speak of.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
kimeccles

I have a brand new one from Mitchell overdrive transmissions manufacturing made in USA.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Co...7112S-6175.pdf

I did not install it in my car. I am willing to sell it for $23 and can mail it to you for $7 in a USPS priority box to you. So for $30 to you for this one which is at Bratton's for $43.75 plus shipping. You have to remove the cover reach in and re-install it and the two top transmission bolts, put this in and use the longer bolts and compression type washers. I did try it on, and had to cut some of the rubber to get a good fit which will make it much easier to install than from them when new. I did not bolt it on so the compression washers are still new. It would be near impossible to do this while on the car as described, without some rubber trimming first.

Last edited by kimeccles; 11-29-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: to say the bolt special washers were never used
kimeccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
Tom Endy

Oil leaks from a Model A transmission can be prevented during an overhaul by installing sealed ball bearings at the front and rear and installing cluster and idler shafts that have been modified with an O-ring. Most all the suppliers carry them.

Most suppliers also carry a device that bolts to the rear of the housing where the cluster shaft and the idler shaft protrudes. It prevents oil from leaking out past the two shafts. It is an after market fix that can be installed without removing the transmission from the car. Bratton carries them under part number 10500 and describes it as a trans shaft seal.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
WHN

Quote:
John Deere corn head grease, and cotton picker grease and snapper 00 are all the same. I know that if everything is perfect it won't leak, but this car is far from perfect, and never will be while I own it, (which will probably be the rest of my life), so I just want to do the best for it that I can the simplest and cheapest that I can. I am using 15/40 Valvoline hdeo in the engine. I have lots of stp in my stash, so could go to a 50/50 mix. But I still wonder if 00 would be good to use. I am also wondering about some stp in the engine, although with 15/40, would it be to thick, as I would think with basically a splash system that the oil could be to thick to properly run into the bearings etc.
We use four quarts of 20-50 HD oil with one bottle of STP. Good for flat lifters and in a engine with some miles. Other people have their views, but this has always worked for us. Also MMO in gas.

We have a 29 Sport Coupe that we have owned for 40 years, never been rebuilt.

Leaks a little, drives nice, engine runs smooth and quiet. Good compression, no smoke, fun. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it. Enjoy.

Oh, I forgot. They all leak somewhere. There is a saying, “if it’s not leaking, it needs filling”.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
oldforder

So I guess a bottle of STP in my 15/40 wouldn't hurt huh? But still nobody says weather oo grease will be a good lube for the trans or am I better off just filling with stp? Also which would make for the easiest shifting without grinding gears. And Yes I know how to double clutch.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #12
WHN

Quote:
So I guess a bottle of STP in my 15/40 wouldn't hurt huh? But still nobody says weather oo grease will be a good lube for the trans or am I better off just filling with stp? Also which would make for the easiest shifting without grinding gears. And Yes I know how to double clutch.
I would not use the 00 grease in the transmission. I like the 50/50 with STP. Again, there are owners who do use 100% STP. The heavier oil will help slow down you transmission gears during shifting. Ours shifts very nicely, but I have been driving one since I was twelve.

I do think you might be light on the cold side 15/40 with motor oil. I would ask you to try the 20/50. It’s only 50 when the engine has warmed up. Has the body needed for engines with some miles. Enjoy.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

The "bolt on Doo-dad" which someone mentioned for stopping the oil leaking from the cluster and idler shaft. Does such a good job mine is rusting... I'm running straight 600w in my trans, CornHead in my steering box as 600w leaks out the sector shaft.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
updraught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNhli-J0Gk

As shown in the video it works with slow moving parts. You pays your money and takes your chances with fast moving parts, as it might fling off the gears and hide out stuck on the side of the case.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

There's NO "MAGIC" Gear Oil. I just use regular 140W gear oil & it works well. You DON'T need some GOOEY CRAP, to simulate a synchro, just practice & perfect your shifting!
Bill Supershifter
Old 11-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
There's NO "MAGIC" Gear Oil. I just use regular 140W gear oil & it works well. You DON'T need some GOOEY CRAP, to simulate a synchro, just practice & perfect your shifting!
Bill Supershifter
Whadya mean, Gooey Crap to simulate Synchro!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Whadya mean, Gooey Crap to simulate Synchro!
SORRY if I offended you, Brother,----NOW, HOW?? do I get my size 13, G-Force Racin' Shoe out of my MOUTH???
Mumbling Bill W.