Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Jerky Runner

No I do not mean the guy behind the wheel! It is the car that is jerking around.

To fill you in on the problem. My 1929 coupe has sat in the garage since the 4th of July parade. I started it up to take it for a drive. When I took off is 1st gear, it had a bad jerking or stalling when I started off and pressed the gas. Another way to describe the problem is that I would press on the gas, it would take off and then almost kill the motor but would pick up again and continue on doing the same thing over and over again. Also sometimes would backfire through the carb. But it had run great last time I had it out!

What I have done to try to fix it. I replace the carb with a known good carb. Still same problem. I replaced the distributor with a known good distributor. Still the same problem. So where do I go from here???

Due to the fact the rig had sat for almost 2 months without being run, could it be a sticking valve? Maybe an intake valve due to fact it backfires into carb??

Any ideas on what to do? Should I put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and take it out for a run? Or just take it out and run it hard? Or does anyone have any other good ideas what to do? Would appreciate any help I can get. I am not a qualified A guy and just guess at things.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote