Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Industrial vs NON-Industrial Model A Ford Engines...

Just what is the "true" difference between an Industrial Model A Ford engine and a NON-Industrial Model A Ford Engine?

Just what parts seperated the two?

In other words, if there were two Model A Ford engines sitting side by side, one being a known Industrial engine and one being a known car or truck engine (let alone the A vs AA stamping on the engine pad), could you really tell a difference?

I have asked this question a few times before and still no one with a diffinate answer.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: Industrial vs NON-Industrial Model A Ford Engines...

I have seen a few,and owned a few,but have owned two that I really looked at.One is in a Westinghouse welder,it has no numbers on the pad,had an upright exhaust,(that rotted and I changed it)it has a governor running off the timing gear,there is a mixture control knob right on the carb,it has a remote air filter,and the carb sits level with the engine.If you tried to use the manifold on a car the carb would sit at an angle.The engine is not a diamond block and is not a B engine.The other one I had that I looked at any amount was in a Bay City swing shovel.That one had no numbers,had an in-out Rockford clutch on the back,flat manifold,the exhaust was stock but I suspect it was changed as there was a hole in the house above the engine where an upright would have went.That one had a name brand governor,either a Hoof or a Pierce,the Westinghouse welder has its own brand governor on it.The controls were on the rear of the engine in a panel.You climbed up in,started it up,threw in the clutch,set the throttle,and walked around to the front on a catwalk to the cab.There were no engine controls in the cab.That engine was really bad,you had to keep swinging the house to stay out of the smoke cloud.I knew nothing about diamond blocks then,so I have no idea what it had.It was A though,not B.That one had a remote air filter too,it was behind the seat so the operator could shake the dirt out of the cup when it filled up.The previous owner told me he would empty it 3 times a day sometimes,then go for 3 months without touching it,depending on conditions.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote