Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
mytlow

Default A frame question

Will a 31 fordor frame work under a coupe?
mytlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Logan

Default Re: A frame question

They are all the same frames
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
columbiA

The only difference is that the S/W cars have an extra body mount bracket on each side of the frame near the rear running board braces.If you use one of these frames save the brackets as someone else will need them.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
mytlow

Thank you i will do that, this is a great website.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Bob C

What year coupe, the 28-29 front cross member is different than 30-31.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
flatford39

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
They are all the same frames
That's really not true. Tudor sedan and pick up frames have different body mount bracket positions than coupes and roadsters. I suspect the fordor frame will work on a coupe or roadster. Also the front crossmembers are different between 28 29 models and 30 31 due to the different radiator heights.

Can you make them fit. Of course you can by moving brackets and shimming the radiators but they are not all the same. And as said above the slant windshield cars have an additional body mount bracket.

Last edited by flatford39; 02-14-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added info
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
What year coupe, the 28-29 front cross member is different than 30-31.

Bob
X2
Plus I think the E brake shaft in under the frame
on the later ones can't remember the dates
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

What you need to be aware of with frames.

Front cross members are different for the 28-29 vs 30-31 radiators.

There are some brake shaft differences. The ebrake shafts are different and I do not know the date cut off. The later type go through the frame and the earlier type bolt inside the frame. Guys, Please know that the later type are held in with tapered pins. You can take them off easily. You do not need a cutting torch!!!! I have some beautiful ends that were cut off and these ends are PIA to find decent.

For the Slants the 2/3 body mount bracket was moved rearward by on hole. This is not a problem because you will still get a straight window cowl bolted down fine. They also added 3 holes just ahead of the rear running board bracket for the #6 body mount point. If you find a frame with these brackets and do not need them you can sell them to a slant window guy and make him very happy.

For details about the frames you need to visit Steve's website where he has fine details on dates and changes.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
That's really not true. Tudor sedan and pick up frames have different body mount bracket positions than coupes and roadsters. I suspect the fordor frame will work on a coupe or roadster. Also the front crossmembers are different between 28 29 models and 30 31 due to the different radiator heights.

Can you make them fit. Of course you can by moving brackets and shimming the radiators but they are not all the same. And as said above the slant windshield cars have an additional body mount bracket.
Flatford39...

Are you absolutly sure on that statement?

If so, can you please elaborate on your findings? Just what "brackets" are in different positions?

SEE POST NUMBER 12

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-15-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
edzaha

The brackets that the cowl bolts to is in a different position on a 31 4dr, you would need to remove the rivits, and redrill and mount again.
edzaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzaha View Post
The brackets that the cowl bolts to is in a different position on a 31 4dr, you would need to remove the rivits, and redrill and mount again.

This is incorrect.

The frame set up for slant window bodies was used for all production as is and only one bolt was used for the straight window cowls.

The slant window bodies would have had the #6 bracket added on the line. The rest of production used the frame as it was.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Steve Plucker
BANNED

[QUOTE=edzaha;364885]The brackets that the cowl bolts to is in a different position on a 31 4dr, you would need to remove the rivits, and redrill and mount again.[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to respectfully disagree here edzaha...

Those "brackets" (A-5075: Body bracket on frame...front) for which you refer to were moved, yes, but not for specific vehicles. They were moved for all vehicles.

I mean can you just amigine a frame for this body style and a frame for that body style??? The assembly workers would go nuts!

Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

You can also review my frame article I did for The Restorer on my website...it will explain it all.

Thanks.

Pluck

Thank you Kevin!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

mytlow: Before you're overwhelmed by all the above information. What are you trying to do?? Fine point restoration, driver, hot/street/rat rod?? Identify what you're doing and then we can get more specific. Basically all the frames were the same except for front crossmember and maybe an additional body mounting brkt. Hope this helps.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Marco Tahtaras

It's important to note that the later front cross member is fully compatible as long as the radiator is shimmed as Ford did in this application which includes longer radiator mounting bolts.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
ctlikon0712

Kevin in NJ. I really enjoyed the article on plating. Thank you!
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
flatford39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Flatford39...

Are you absolutly sure on that statement?

If so, can you please elaborate on your findings? Just what "brackets" are in different positions?

Pluck
Yes I am absolutely sure. I have a number of frames here and the spacing is different. If I have time I will try to take pictures this weekend. I found this out when I bought a frame to put under a 31 coupe I was building and the body mounts didn't line up. They were all factory with no modifications. I checked them with a pick up I had in the shop at the same time and they matched the pick up. The spacing is wider on the long door car (tudor & pick up) from the short door (coupe, roadster) car. I have a frame from a 31 deluxe tudor that is a number matching frame with the title and engine that I am putting my roadster body on and I need to relocate these brackets.

Tom
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
mytlow

Well i just wanted a 28-31 frame, i found a couple of a bodies out in a ravine from what i can tell one is maybe a 30-31 and the other a 29 leather back, dont even know if when i get them dug out,(have to wait for the sping thaw) what i will have to deal with i can put up some pics of the bodys if you want, Thanks for all the info Bob, kinda just want to build a old banger
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
columbiA

Kevin in NJ is right about the 2/3 body mount bracket being moved reared rearward by one hole& some bodies using 1 hole & others using both holes.My 30 coupe has the bracket in the forward position & the 31 s/w sedan has the bracket 1 hole to the rear.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
yes i am absolutely sure. I have a number of frames here and the spacing is different. If i have time i will try to take pictures this weekend. I found this out when i bought a frame to put under a 31 coupe i was building and the body mounts didn't line up. They were all factory with no modifications. I checked them with a pick up i had in the shop at the same time and they matched the pick up. The spacing is wider on the long door car (tudor & pick up) from the short door (coupe, roadster) car. I have a frame from a 31 deluxe tudor that is a number matching frame with the title and engine that i am putting my roadster body on and i need to relocate these brackets.

Tom
please read post number 12.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Yes I am absolutely sure. I have a number of frames here and the spacing is different. If I have time I will try to take pictures this weekend. I found this out when I bought a frame to put under a 31 coupe I was building and the body mounts didn't line up. They were all factory with no modifications. I checked them with a pick up I had in the shop at the same time and they matched the pick up. The spacing is wider on the long door car (tudor & pick up) from the short door (coupe, roadster) car. I have a frame from a 31 deluxe tudor that is a number matching frame with the title and engine that I am putting my roadster body on and I need to relocate these brackets.

Tom
As Pluck suggested, please reread a couple posts. It's technically a TIME issue. By about the end of March '31 they no longer produced the early frame version regardless of model. Only the slant windshield models had BOTH bolts going through the bracket. On the Ford bodied cars the rear of the two bolts in the body went through the front hole of the bracket. The front body carriage bolt (of the pair) was indeed inserted but bolted through the apron only essentially plugging the hole.