Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Rancho Deluxe

Default Three restoration details??

Hi FordBarners,
In my avatar you see the '30 fordor that I have in the middle of a complete restoration. It will never look like the picture again! The chassis is done and the focus is on the body now. Three questions have popped up and tho they are probably the first of many I'm hoping for your expert help with these now. Thanks in advance for your review!
1. How does the SS trim band behind the hood fasten in place? Mine is undamaged but needs to come off for polishing. How? I don't see any fasteners that look like probable starting places.
2. The splash shield between the front fenders - below the radiator - seems to have two subtle ridges in it. Very smooth and gentle bends that divide the front flat section into three panels. Is this a real feature or a pair of "dents or damage"? Is the front surface of this part supposed to be dead flat? The shape I have is ridged from the lower bottom edges at the outside corners to the top edge near the center, making three flat panel sections. Anybody think that's correct or authentic?
3. Inside the car on the passenger side door post is an unknown hole. The wood strut has a centered one inch bored hole about one inch deep and about eight inches down from the top. It looks original and does not interfere with the set-in dado for the metal strut brace. Anybody know what this hole is for?
4. One more...Most of the car's interior is now removed. Upholstery and all the rear window frames are out. But how about the actual rear window glass. Whats the final removal procedure? Do you just push them out or is there something else actually holding them in place?
Thanks and best regards to the Ford Barners.
Rancho Deluxe
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
Gerard

Default Re: Three restoration details??

answer to question 1 : look at the bottom of the ss band but now inside the bottom cowl you'll find a nut that has to come off. ( both side's )

No 2 : The radiator splash shield is stamped and made out of one piece.

No 3 : that's the spot where the dome light switch is mounted.

No 4 : I assume the trim is taken of , the glass is bedded around with rubber and over the years gummed itself to the body, Gentle push it out and ask a helper to catch it from the inside . While you push it from the outside. Good luck.
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The only cowl band I removed was held in place by a nut on each end of the band. Look on the inside of the cowl on each side for a nut which can be unscrewed with a box wrench.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Roadster62

There was an early style cowl band that had additional clips on the side and on top as well as the normal lower ones. Getting a socket on the lower ones will take some doing if the body is still on the chassis, u joint, or 1/4 drive will work.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote