Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #21
Beater

Default Re: timeing gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I would replace that aluminum hub centered Cloyes timing gear as if the fiber gear is not loose now it will be.
Also as posted above by someone do NOT put heat on your crank gear unless you want to do you babbit as well.
Bad advise from some posting so beware.
As was noted the Kr wilson puller for replacing the heat when the crank is in is the best . Also the 6306 installer makes it a piece of cake to install .
Experience, the right tool for the job, and being careful is key.
If the crank is out you can use a common puller with the crank nut used as your center.
Larry shepard
it is not an alum center cloys timeing gear. if you will look at the very first picture I posted it says ford on it and it isn't alum cog center by the looks of it
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #22
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Also , remove you valve cover and clean out the valve chamber and check rod and mains for integrity and clearance including end thrust.
Otherwise you may be wasting time and money .....
Larry
this is going back together, its been apart and checked over.you can see the fresh gasget on the side cover if you look. I flushed out all the crap old oil from the valve chamber and flushed the oil to main ports

Last edited by Beater; 02-13-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #23
larrys40

Beater,
Ok I looked at your two other photos and not the first as much... but after studying the first photo and only you can determine as you are there but it still looks like a separate cog centered gear. Good it’s a Ford script gear but it doesn’t mean it won’t fail and it’s certainly been there a good number of years. You asked for help and I’ve changed more than you’ve probably ever seen .
You asked the forum for advice . Based on what I can see I still hold to my advice. And meant it in a constructive thorough way. I work on A’s every day for folks and try to share my 45 years of experience to help.
Good luck and all the best!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #24
Beater

well I didn't mean to seem un greatfull. im prity sure its not a alum cog center gear. I should change it out to a high grade alum one probably anyways.

you are right ive been a mechanic for a long time, and some of the advice I read here for some things I shake my head. this is only my second A/B engine however take everything with a grain of salt