Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #61
Russell in Tulsa

Default Re: 3rd gear knock updated 5/28

Good catch on the brake handle Rainmaker!
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #62
Kevin - Illinois

The car knocked in 3rd gear when the throwout bearing and brake handle were correct Ron. Thanks for the input but neither of these are the cause of the knock. It's getting old after taking this apart for the 4th time. Guess I should have brought it to you.
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
James Rogers

I'm kinda with Ron on this one. If it doesn't turn out to be the throwout bearing, it will surprise me.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #64
Kevin - Illinois

I had the clutch adjusted wrong for the video. The bearing should not have been spinning but it's not the cause of the knock. It's the 4th time I've had the thing apart. I have $5k into this mess, I'm working 60 to 70 hours a week and now I'm going to miss Sharon to boot. But hey, the rebuilder will be there... He sent me a transmission, got it today. I will install it this weekend and it had better work.

Last edited by Kevin - Illinois; 06-01-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #65
H. L. Chauvin

Kevin,

I thought about Rainmaker Ron early on, & even went on Mapquest to see how far Peoria, Illinois was from Ottawa; but hesitated this recommendation just in case the original engine/transmission rebuilder may consider voiding any warranty.

With (4) tedious Model A dismantlings, plus re-assembly, one can imagine your frustration while working over 60 hours a week.

Please feel most confident at this point to have Ron as a back-up consultant -- there is only one (1) Ron Cloat on this planet -- I know this gentleman.

In my opinion, from 100 feet away, he is such a brilliant Model A mechanic that I think he could stare at a totally broken Model A for 3 minutes & make it start without turning the key.

Just could not think of a better way to describe Ron plus sincerely try to re-kindle your enthusiasm!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #66
Kevin - Illinois

Trust me, I wasn't being critical of Ron Cloat. I first met him in 2006 at the JC Whitney car show. I knew then I wasn't worthy enough to change his spark plugs, still not today. I'm just totally frustrated right now. I make mistakes I know, that's why I offered to pay the rebuilder $100 for gas to drive the 90 miles to my house but he refused.

I have a couple ideas myself. Since I now have my old tranny and a new one he sent I can pull both shifting towers and compare the gearing and mesh before I install it. The rebuilder suggested I install the new tranny and leave the U-Joint off, start the engine and try 3rd to see if the knock is still there. I'm going to try it with the old tranny first so I can compare them. I will adjust the clutch first though to get the throwout bearing in the proper position and stop it from spinning.

I want to do as may comparisons between the two trannys as I can since I'm fortunate enough to have two at this moment.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #67
H. L. Chauvin

Kevin,

I interpreted your 1st message as sincere admiration for Mr. Cloat.

"Everybody" would be "entirely" frustrated at this point with "your" problem(s), but here is what I think Model A owners on this Forum are witnessing in this 3rd gear knock title.

It is like watching a boxing match -- "you" the boxer, continues to get knocked down -- but "you" the boxer jump right back up to fight.

In life, everbody gets knocked down, but not all jump right back up to fight -- the audience in a boxing match are not coming to see a boxer get knocked down -- their thrill is seeing him jump right back up to fight.

Kevin, we "all" have Model A problems -- your determination is an inspiration to us all -- keep up the fight -- with your unique perseverence, you will win -- it is just nuts & bolts -- sometimes in life we are the nuts, but who cares -- such is life.

Hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #68
TinCup

There is nothing more frustrating than a puzzle that resists being solved. The bonus for this hobby is incredible wealth of talent that is willing to help and support this car. Look at the wealth of support generated by this discussion. How much have you learned and how much has it taught those following along.

You are getting there and the fact that you have a tranny in hand to replace the one that whines worse than my wife is a step in the right direction. Don't tell my wife I said that
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #69
Rusty Homestead Fl

I'm sure a lot more of us have been following this thread than those that have posted helpful suggestions. This has been a very interesting puzzle. You just havn't found the right piece yet. Keep that video camera handy. I'd love to be there when you put it in 3rd and hear/feel no noise. Then again I'll probably hear the sigh of relief all the way down here. LOL. Hang in there Kevin. You'll soon reap the reward of patience.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #70
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I have been following and would put my money on the trans. I hope the next one is also somewhat less whinny also.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #71
Lawrie

Dont worry about having the trans out 4 times.
I put a high comp head on and news gears in.
Spent the next two weeks solid sorting it out.
Probhably had the box out 6 times.
in the end I could get it out in 50mins
I had a noise in the gearbox that only came in top gear, I thought when hot.
After running it around the block several times with the new and old box(no noise but worn gears),runing it on axle stands in the shed,
Main problem was an incorreectly machined 1st and rev sliding mainshaft gear.
This just touched the rev idler ,(yes it was the right way round).
I tried all sorts to find the problem,
I even ran the engine on the the axle stands with the top off the gearbox.
tried another g/box top.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #72
Kevin - Illinois

Gonna move this to a new thread titled 3rd gear knock updated 6/1/12