Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: How many problems are caused by mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray With View Post
Center mains in my original A motor are just fine and you think if you have flexing that can whip out the center main it a normal function? Your either in balance or out period. A well balanced engine which includes equal bob weights on the rod throws is the life of any motor and I can tell you now there is no comparison to good balanced motor to one not balanced.
You're right and that's what Mike was saying. The counterweights help stop the crank from wanting to bend and cam out the mains, especially the center main since it has two throws together. Just the act of adding weight to the crank will help dampen vibrations, but the main function of the counterweights is to prolong the life of the main bearings. When the engine and bearings are new the crank can't bend to any noticable degree, but get a few thousandths wear and the crank will start to whip, especially without counterweights. But, as Mike said, the original crank came with a very acurate STATIC balance, it's just too bad Ford didn't add counterweights a few years sooner.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #42
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Could not agree with you more Mike having both stock and counterweight crankshafts in two different model A"S I can not tell them apart both run smooth, with regards to mods some such as cast drums I think is a must, Never care a lot about speed in the A's but stopping is a different story, must have mine wired wrong my lights are as bright as I need them to be stock gen stock lights . One thing is for sure its your car do it your way

Last edited by allen; 07-18-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spell check
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #43
Gary Karr

I thought that "mods" weren't something I was even interested in until I red all of these posts. Even in my fine point car(s) I have teflon cups around the steering balls and in the shock links. What about sealed bearings that I install in my powerhouse generators and the leakless bearings and seals in the water pumps? These might not be as noticable as overdrives and alternators but I guess I'm as guilty as the rest!
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #44
Model A Man

I have a lot of mods on my 31 coupe. Skirts, siren, ding-ding bell, wolf whistle, spot light, right tail lamp, alt 12V, overdrive, running boards step plates, speakers and a cd player, cup holders, and when my motor lets go I may have another mod to deal with.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #45
700rpm

Gentlemen, this thread has wandered off some from the original intent. I was not saying anyone should not make or add modifications to their cars or that only the way Henry built them was the best. I was merely observing that lately a lot of problems described here seemed to be caused by mechanical or electrical changes, and that situation might warrant sticking with (or returning to) more original interpretations of the car. I was not waving the bloody shirt of the purist, making a value judgment, or talking about safety upgrades like seat belts and safety glass. I was just sayin'.

But I am enjoying the discussion, nonetheless.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #46
Ray With

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I have a lot of mods on my 31 coupe. Skirts, siren, ding-ding bell, wolf whistle, spot light, right tail lamp, alt 12V, overdrive, running boards step plates, speakers and a cd player, cup holders, and when my motor lets go I may have another mod to deal with.

.AMEN!! What if Henry had decided long ago the tiller steering was just fine and never went to the steering wheel? What if Henry was dead set against hydraulic brakes and stayed with the mechanical? Its called progressive changes. Are hot rodders-car nuts any different? We try to re invent-change -improve through trial and error don't we? Don't cars today have recall due to engineering screw up's? Recalls have been around a long time due to engineers screw up's and this is how it is and always will be. If I didn't try to improve my rides I would go nuts. Its the quest for that perfect car we have in our garages and as to problem with mods it hasn't happened as yet
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #47
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
True, but if the "A" engine stock runs perfectly smooth to the point motor mounts arn't even needed it should have no problem running at 5-6K rpm without grenading. If this is not the case a balanced crank WILL improve it. This does not mean "its necessary for the engine to work"
Mr Tube,
"stock A engine" should have no problem running at 5/6K rpm!
I want you to build my next A engine that runs even near that!!
I only know a few guys that visit here, that can build/run A/B engines up to 5/6K and further....at Bonneville and/or track/strip, but definitely NOT stock and/or even anything that the 'average' guy could afford.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote