Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #41
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: Selling on eBay question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Now I get that we all like what we are used to and what is familiar but with this, I have to disagree. IMO, sitting on the left side to drive is the logical choice since the vast majority of people are right handed, it only makes sense (to me) to put the shifter to the drivers right.
The only RHD car I've owed is this Daimler V8 250. Getting used to shifting with my left hand took about 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ftF8II0WRw
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #42
Cool Hand Lurker

Tax avoidance is the use of legal methods to modify an individual's financial situation to lower the amount of income tax owed. This is generally accomplished by claiming the permissible deductions and credits. This practice differs from tax evasion, which uses illegal methods, such as underreporting income to avoid paying taxes.

Tax "evasion" is when you hide income or overstate deductions. You can go to prison for tax evasion.

Tax "avoidance" is when you apply as a deduction from income, all of the legal and relevant costs of generating that income, which lowers the tax amount you legally owe. You are encouraged to use these deductions. This is what the President-Elect is talking about. This is paying all of your fare share.

That is in the Internal Revenue Code, the federal law on income taxation.

IRS counts income "from whatever source derived" and this includes gambling. You can deduct gambling losses up to but not over the amount of winnings.

At least this is what it was when I was a Special Agent - Enforcement, Internal Revenue Service. (a Long time ago. Really.)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #43
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post

Tax "avoidance" is when you apply as a deduction from income, all of the legal and relevant costs of generating that income, which lowers the tax amount you legally owe. You are encouraged to use these deductions. This is what the President-Elect is talking about. This is paying all of your fare share.
This is exactly why returns this year for those claiming Earned Income Credit will have a second look.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #44
ronn

and taxes should be going down this year- the more opportunity to buy up the cars stashed overseas...........

I know aapl, googl, amazon, etc. are going to enjoy bringing their overseas cash back!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #45
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

and taxes should be going down this year- the more opportunity to buy up the cars stashed overseas...........

I know aapl, googl, amazon, etc. are going to enjoy bringing their overseas cash back!
Not sure about that, Cuba might have sanctions put back on them but I've never seen any Model A running around Habana!!!!!!!!!!!!.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have been to Cuba more than 20 times and I have never seen a pre 1950 car. The suggestion of many mint cars is totally exaggerated. The 50 and 60 era cars are junk! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #47
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I have been to Cuba more than 20 times and I have never seen a pre 1950 car. The suggestion of many mint cars is totally exaggerated. The 50 and 60 era cars are junk! Wayne
My experience regarding cuban cars is that maybe 10-15% are pristine, 20% are junk and the remaining 65-70% are average condition for their age. I also noticed that maybe 30% of the convertibles are actual factory convertibles and the other 70% are coupes/sedans with the roof cut off. Another interesting note, there are NO '58 Impala's there, only biscaynes and Bel Airs. I did see 1 or 2 cars from the 40's and I recall 1 or 2 from the late 20's early 30's but don't recall if they were actual vintage cars or cobbled together mutts.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #48
ronn

so we are only buying cars from Cuba?

what about all of those great rhd Phaetons over in Argentina and throughout south America?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #49
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Like Ronn said just sell all u want... dont worry bout it...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #50
1930marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post
It has been over a year since I be sold anything on eBay.
At the time they were asking for social security numbers.

Are ssn's now required and is your sales income reported to the IRS?

Thanks.
You are correct. My company has an ebay store that is bound by contract with ebay. The contract required our business ID number and I believe the year end 1099 was received recently. If you look at your "my ebay" ebay maintains a running log on all the stats on your sales. Very efficient. Hope that helps. FWI: it works for us - the ebay customer list is beyond comprehension.