Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #41
HoarseWhisperer

Default Re: Starting Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
No offense, but Its all very cute to take to a show a couple times unrestored, but after a while you get the reputation of being the neighborhood hillbilly, and also it pisses the people off who put the labor and money in to make theres nice, a little wet sanding and a cheap coat of paint wouldn't cost much.
Doesn't piss me off either. Good unrestored vehicles are like rare time capsules and serve as examples of "real" vehicles of way back when. I think many of us appreciate and learn from them. I admire those that are fortunate enough to have and maintain an unrestored vehicle. Plus, they do not have the worries of those of us that invested labor and money on shiny new paint jobs.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #42
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
No offense, but Its all very cute to take to a show a couple times unrestored, but after a while you get the reputation of being the neighborhood hillbilly, and also it pisses the people off who put the labor and money in to make theres nice, a little wet sanding and a cheap coat of paint wouldn't cost much.
Not so. If someone with a restored car says you are a hillbilly, then walk your dog over and introduce him to their wheels. As many have stated, just leave it, do the brakes, rebuild the carb, WD-40 that hood and leave well enough alone. A lot of great character in that A. Grandpa would be proud. Just my 3 1/2 cents.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #43
1930artdeco

I agree, when I had my Mustang I was working on it just like you. I went to cars show in primer and parked next to some really gorgeous cars-and got all of the attention. People would tell their kids 'this is how cars start out-not done like X'. Don't get me wrong, those other cars were drop dead gorgeous but your car will show people what our cars were meant for-to be driven.

If they get in your face about it then ask them for $30k in cash to restore the car. That will shut them up and you don't need to be friends with them anyhow. Your car is great as is. Just get her up to snuff mechanically and drive her round and show her off. FWIW, keep the original parts and rebuild them, they are better 90% of the time than new parts.

Mike
Old 03-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #44
jboggess

I didn't mean they had to be perfect shape, its just nice to see a decent car. My friend did a Model A restore a few years back and his goal was to do it on the cheap, so he painted it with a spray can from Walmart, and yes its not perfect but it looks just fine to go to a cruise night show, and just because theres paint on the car doesnt mean it cant be a driver... These cars didnt come out of the factory unpainted, and besides it helps with future rust.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #45
Goldhardt

Loved your pictures! Also loved hearing that it belonged to your Grandpa. My Grandpa sold his Model T back in 1968 when I was 10 years old. No one in the family had any idea what ever happened to it. Last summer I just happened to be at an estate auction and came across his old car with the original paperwork. It had been completely restored and was beautiful. Unfortunately, it went for big bucks. Moral of the story, keep this car in the family! You may someday have a grandson who would love to be able to drive his great, great, Grandpa's car!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #46
BamaFord

I am back home and ready to dive into the restoration. Here is the carburetor that is on the vehicle now. I am tempted to just order a rebuilt one and send this one in as a core. Any advice? I am not sure what condition it was in when the car was running 10+ years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3150.jpg (89.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3151.jpg (87.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3152.jpg (88.7 KB, 62 views)
BamaFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #47
Charles Coe

That looks like a Tillotson carburetor. If you are not concerned about authenticity, then it probably only needs to be cleaned. They are good running carbs.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

Average/unrestored cars attract a LOT of attention/conversation. People are amazed that an eighty something year old car runs SO SWEET & can keep up with ordinary city traffic! Helps us meet some most interesting people, that we otherwise would have missed. They're fascinated by the FUNNY LOOKIN' DISTRIBUTOR CAP, "Is that the carb"??--"Where's the VALVE COVER"? The crowd grows, when someone asks you to START IT UP!!
After all, conversation with ordinary, decent, interesting folks, IS one of GOD'S greatest gifts to us. Love all you folks !
Bill W.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #49
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I know of two drivers that were taken apart more than 50 years ago, and they are still apart. At least drive it for a year or two before you decide, and you might realize it's great as it is now.
Tom,
If ALL those cars that have been apart for EONS were ALL finished TODAY, there'd probably be enough cars to start a THIRD National Club!
What should it be NAMED? (Help me, I've most run out of "humor")
Bill W.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #50
Fullraceflathead

I have the same carburetor on mine, yes it's a Tillotson not a Zenith.
It is a very good carburetor to use, many believe it is a little better than the Zenith. Less issues of it stalling when braking hard, this assumes your have your Brakes "Dialed in"!

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #51
Brentwood Bob

Hope you can flesh out the history on the woody after you get to meet the guys in the local model a club.
there are good threads on cleaning/flushing the gas tank 'in vitro', just go to the first page of this discussion section and do a search.
If you were lucky the gas tank was empty when the vehicle was stored.
If not, I have used lacquer thinner, just watch the paint.
The rust on the hood is called patina.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #52
Terry, NJ

I see that you had a Correct Craft plywood speed boat! I had a 1957 and I loved it. Mine had a 4 cyl flathead Graymarine (Continental) I don't recall what the HP was, but it was more when I sold it than when I bought it. I was getting too many RPMs so I reblocked the prop wheel to 12X13". This light little hull seemed very fast for what it was. I had a lot of fun with the boat for two summers. Correct Crafts are not too well known, I seldom see them mentioned.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #53
larrys40

I would keep the tillotson on it, clean and check for flatness on the bowl and top and regasket and re-assemble. It should do fine. I would recommend getting it driveable and safe, brakes, steering, etc and enjoy it for a while... and then decide it you want to tear it down for a restoration or just enjoy as is for a while longer.
I also dropped you a PM with Purdy's info so you can contact him down your way. He's a book of knowledge on them.
Tell him Larry Shepard says hello.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #54
mngrant

Welcome to Ford Barn.
Great find and have fun with whatever direction you decide. Get a copy of Les Andrews "Model a Ford Mechanics Handbook" and join a local Model A club. Both are inexpensive easily affordable on a student budget.
mngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #55
Redbird

I just rebuilt my Tillotson a few weeks ago. It was so easy. Take carb apart, soak all in carb cleaner, used a tooth brush or parts cleaning brush, unscrewed all removable valves, soaked all and blew out in both directions with compressed air, new needle/seat installed, air mixture screw in until seats & backed out 3/4 turn. Starts and runs like a top. Before and after pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1878.jpg (50.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0044.jpg (59.0 KB, 31 views)
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #56
daveymc29
BANNED

You'll only get one shot to drive it as a survivor, then if you do much restoration it will have lost that patina forever and just her another old car that we throw money into. But it is yours, make yourself happy and enjoy it. You'll never please us out here watching you, just please yourself and enjoy the car. Welcome to the site. We are here to learn and share what we know.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #57
1927reocpe

Very cool! make it safe and give guide tours with it... $$$$$$ Could pay for another project.
1927reocpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #58
Cool Hand Lurker

BamaFord, it looks like Grandpa knew what he was doing. You say that you have 'worked' on a lot of cars and obviously have the basic knowledge, but restoring a car can be a really big project. So is college. You can't do both and do justice to either project. Other things will come along, especially at your age, that will test your resolve and motivation to finish a restoration. Just One Girl could do it.
The odds are pretty good that the Model A project will spend some time on the back burner. That is OK, but you could be driving it in the meantime.
Trust Grandpa. Assume the Model A was taken care of and doesn't really need much. Clean the carb, drive it! Keep it, work on it bit by bit as you have the dollars.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #59
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Ditto!! Seal the bare metal from continuing to rust.
On my latest build, I was hunting around for a flat clear to seal rust and old patina the best I could.

Flatting agent made for clear is very expensive and I did not want a dead flat look..

Google search mentioned cornflour added to 2K clear.

I tried it.

It came out fantastic.

If one could imagine an oily rag wiped over, this is exactly what it looks like.

Will post how it stands up, although it will hardly ever get wet, but it will see plenty of UV.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #60
Rex_A_Lott

I dont suppose any of you latest posters noticed he hasnt been on here since Nov...2015.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote