Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Radiator Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Or radiator
This somehow reminded me, on "modern" cars, the fin spacing on the condensors is usually WIDER than the RADUMATOR fins & some bugs pass through & PILE up on the RADUMATOR This was a common problem, when I worked on Volvos, for 23 years.
Dad Swede
Old 02-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #42
barkleydave

Where I drive there a lots of wildlife and turkeys (The flying kind) Last fall once flew up and into my Stone Guard. Yup 10 lbs turkey I was running 45. Bent the guard slightly. No damage to my new 800 dollar radiator. Like them or not it did its job.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #43
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I guess my Back-Up lights would have to go???
No, because it is your car, and your opinion (or maybe your wife's) is the only one that counts. Besides a nice set of utilitarian period lights might look very good, but if you added bejeweled light visors - not so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mD-OXX44jcQu4GCLILINadg.jpg (8.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 02-11-2016 at 04:59 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #44
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

i think they look great and have one on all my Model A!s except my truck. When parked next to one without one they even look better. Sometimes it is like whippet walls, people don't like them because they cost too much for their budget, compare a basic black Tudor with stone guard and white walls to one without,p. The one with them looks much classier! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #45
Bob-A

Cool Re: Radiator Screen

My '31 roadster with its Globe screen grille. Pic #3 is the Globe wing emblem near the crank hole opening. Pic #4 is how the grille mounts to the headlight bar. The '31 Ford radiator emblem at the top of the grille was added by me.

Thanks for the tip burner31 !

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Globe Stone Guard 001.jpg (55.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Globe Stone Guard 003.jpg (61.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Globe Stone Guard 004.jpg (100.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Globe Stone Guard 005.jpg (36.6 KB, 36 views)
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #46
pgerhardt

The wings make it look like a Chrysler.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #47
Kahuna

Like you Bader, when I was a kid, my radiator was in bad shape, but didn't leak. So I added the expanded metal between the shell & radiator, after painting it black. Made the radiator look new
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #48
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I would only paint if it is tarnished beyond cleaning. Other than that, let it shine. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:01 AM   #49
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Purchased a late 31' Tudor sedan last fall and it came with a radiator screen already mounted. First thing that I did upon getting the car home was to pull off the screen. Ya see . . . I don't want no stinking chrome 1970s disco era ostentatious fake junk on my A Model Ford. Blah! Blah! Blah! The mission is to have a nicely aged authentic period Ford automobile as it may have looked in the later 1930s. Love those black wall tires and black painted wheels!

Have many street scene photos in Boston and New York City taken throughout the 1920s - 1940s. During the 1930s, the streets of America and semi-civilized world were well populated with Ford Model A cars. Find it interesting as to how beat up and dented those vehicles were within a few years after rolling off the assembly line. Back in the day, non of those cars had radiator screens. Some after-market jobber probably offered and sold such things then but they never showed up on the used parts market. Also, to recollection, I can't recall seeing a modern manufacture radiator screen back in the 1960s when lots of us drove Model A Fords in regular daily service as second car transportation. Of course, parts such as used Model A radiators were cheap and plentiful back then so it wasn't given a thought.

Fast forward to year 2016! I'm thinking that with running an 85-year old automobile having an original fine condition expensive to replace radiator, then it might be wise to employ a screen for the added protection.

Like ya know . . . I'm just sayin.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 02-12-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:30 AM   #50
DougVieyra

Bob-A, post # 45: re: 'Globe' screen grill (aka Stone Guard):

Globe was one of many manufacturers of the stone guards. Globe made a number of accessories for a variety of marques, as well as 'universal mount' products. I have an original metal tire band with it's 'Globe' brass tag, that covered the spare on my 1930 coupe; and a "Globe" 'Winter-Front' louvered radiator cover for my '28 Phaeton, as well as one from the 1930 TownSedan that I had thirty years ago.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote