Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #41
39topless

Default Re: Yet another MACS experience !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSCOV View Post
For me and my crew it's Joe's Antique Auto Parts in Uxbridge, Mass. same day shipping, extra personal experience. Maybe a few less items, but check Joe first.
Just checked out Joes web site. $5 for a catalog? Poor business decision. I'll stick with C & G and Vanpelt. Great service, and really nice, free catalogs.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #42
aussiesteve

Always had good dealings with C&G.
Never an issue and helpful with shipping
aussiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #43
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
Just checked out Joes web site. $5 for a catalog? Poor business decision. I'll stick with C & G and Vanpelt. Great service, and really nice, free catalogs.
Joe's complete catalog is on line and when you order something he'll send you a catalog and when I placed an order at about this time last year he included a really nice calendar. AND his shipping costs are the best. JMHO.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #44
chap52

Check out: Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc. in Oklahoma City. (405) 631-3933 or 1-800 654-3247. www.ClassicAutoParts.com
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #45
rexrogers

I run a small restoration/rod shop and we use Macs for the majority of the parts we need, it has been a bit of pain with the Eckler's change over but for the most part I have been happy with their service.
I used to deal with Sacramento vintage ford and few other smaller parts suppliers and sometimes i still do I prefer to call a smaller company and talk to the same sales rep that I talked to yesterday.
there is a good chance that if Macs doesn't have the part most of the other main suppliers won't either unless there is one on the shelf. there are only a few manufactures for all these parts so if Vintique has run out of one item then all you can do is wait or get on the phone and see who has one hanging out on a shelf.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #46
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Check out: Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc. in Oklahoma City. (405) 631-3933 or 1-800 654-3247. www.ClassicAutoParts.com
I have NEVER, EVER had a happy experience dealing with parts from this place! ! ! And, I'm being polite using the term "parts". DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #47
Rowdy
BANNED

I have never done business directly with Mac's and do not plan to. I did however have to contend with the junk ordered by a customer brought to my shop. I urged him to return the parts and buy better quality parts from another vendor I trusted. He had nothing but problems with trying to return the stuff that was nearly unuseable. He never got them returned, but did order the parts from a better vendor and all went smoothly from there other than hard feelings with Macs in general. I doubt he ever orders another part from them. Rod
Old 11-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #48
36couper

I've been buying parts from Mac's since 1990. Only once have I been disappointed. That is once out of at least 50-75 orders. Plus it's super handy for me to run across the border to pick up parts without having to pay shipping.
36couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #49
mike in tucson

My soapbox is the shipping and handling charges some of these folks charge. We ship via FedEx and UPS daily. Their rates for little guys like us are reasonable but we realize that a volume shipper gets really good rates. So, if MY cost to ship a box to the vendor is much less than the vendor charges to send the same size and weight box to me, I get suspicious. We ship daily (as I said) and our handling costs are almost nothing. We do buy bubble wrap and tape but we reuse incoming boxes. Labor cost per package is really low....how long does it take to wrap a package? My opinion is that vendors like to charge so there is an extra average of 10%-15% added to an order......called gravy. It's a scam. The honest vendors charge actual shipping cost.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #50
supereal

We quit buying from Mac's a long time ago because most of the parts, such as point sets, were not usable. We recently did work on a customer's '57 Chevy, and ordered from Ecklers. VERY high prices, but parts arrived in a couple of days, and were OK. Shipping costs via UPS just took a big jump.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote