Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #21
mrtexas

Default Re: Stock Model A, always hard to start, now wont start

You might check that the low speed adjustment is 3/4 turn open(Tilly carb instructions on my website). It is the large brass screw with a spring under it on the top half of the carb. There are 4 adjustments on a Tilly, idle speed, low speed jet, choke, and high speed jet(GAV).

From cold I open the GAV one turn on my Tilly(see Tilly instructions), retard the spark, turn the key on, hit the starter, pull the choke out and shut the choke 1-2 seconds later. Engine starts every time.

Try this, I bet yours will start right up.

"fuel kinda pours out of the carb where the filter would go.." means flooded to me from holding the choke open too long.

I think that your quote "When I went to look at it, it started right up everytime for the owner" means there is likely nothing wrong with your engine or carb and just a little something you are confused about how to start it.

I had similar confusion about how to start my A when I first got it. I hadn't read the Tilly instructions and didn't even know the carb I had wasn't original to the car. I didn't realize the GAV needs to be set the same every time for starting. I thought it was only the choke and pulled on it to start not paying attention to the fact I was twisting it as well. Pretty soon mine wouldn't start either. There is lots to learn about the humble Model A for a new owner.

I think I now know a little about Tillys. I have a current inventory of them of about 50: http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/TillyCarb.htm

A Tilly is a very simple design for a carburetor although just as old as the Zenith that came with the A new. Ford sold the aluminum Tilly as a cheaper replacement for the cast iron Zenith.

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-10-2010 at 11:06 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
RudyOnWheels

Well, after choking it the right way, it will EVENTUALLY start, it just takes alot longer than it should. My car seems to like being choked, as after that is when it fires and ALMOST starts..... Well, the old timer that was helping me set the timing, and checked out my distributor and all of its parts. He said it was advanced a bit much, but I know when it finally starts it runs good. It leaks oil pretty damn bad out of the rear main though, so I will have to address that.... He brought over a supposedly freshly rebuilt distributor, his extra hoping that would make it start easier. NOPE!!! Doesnt even fire now...... No Fire at the points.... He is 75 and got pooped out and went home for the day (yesterday). He will be back tomm to help me sort it out.... I dont think his supposed fresh distributor is quite right..... Oh well, at least I Know it will EVENTUALLY start with my crusty old distributor in it!!! I wish I could get at and reach more stuff, as i would just do what he told me to do so he wouldnt have to do it, but being in a wheelchair, it just isnt a reality. I do what I can, and am still learning alot. Thank you for all of your input.

James

RudyOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
NOPE!!! Doesnt even fire now...... No Fire at the points....
He likely screwed the ignition switch connector in too far and grounded out the distributor at the lower bus bar. That is not too unusual. Backing it out a couple turns will likely restore the spark assuming the distributor doesn't have other problems.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
RudyOnWheels

Thank You Marco!!! I will try that first thing tomorrow when he gets back!!! Sounds like that could be the problem..... I will report back.....

James
Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #25
Special Coupe Frank

James,

I got my first A in January, and went through quite a learning curve about starting it.

I found out that they flood VERY easily from over-choking.

I thought I "knew what I was doing", since I grew-up with a Ford 9N tractor...

My '28 with a Zenith starts best ( cold ) with the gas adjusting valve open about 1 turn from "lightly-closed" . I usually open the hand-throttle until I just feel the foot-accelerator move under my foot and the apply the choke for the first two or three grunts of the starter, then release it.

Make sure your choke rod moves freely - it should spring-back to fully open as soon as you release the knob.

One day, I flooded the poor beast REALLY good... soaked the filter mesh of the Air-Maze with raw gas... had to remove the air-filter and crank it with the tank valve turned-off and the throttle wide-open until she finally cleared-out and began to sputter back to life.

If you have good hearing, you'll hear the carb start to "gargle" if you're at the threshold of over-choking.

Good suggestions from everyone else about double-checking points & condensor, looking for fat blue spark, coil polarity, etc.

Model A's have the POSITIVE battery terminal grounded, unlike our modern 12-volt cars.

As the others have said, these Fords definitely have individual personalities, once you get to know yours, you'll have fun with it !

Regards,

SC Frank

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #26
RudyOnWheels

I appreciate it Frank, and thats a beautiful coupe in your avatar!!!

Thank You,

James
Old 05-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #27
RudyOnWheels

Timing was 90 degrees out.......I also believe there was a bad BRAND NEW condensor. Seems there is more than one hole in my timing gear.... Installed a new pin that is chamfered, works better. Fires up instantly!!! Now on to the exxon Valdeez oil leak.......

Thank you very much to all who responded!!!

James
Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

95% of fuel problems are electric.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #29
RockHillWill

Hey Rudy, glad to se you here and in the Model A world. You will like most of the people here, most of the time, LOL. I was born in Brighton, lived in Howell and still have family in Gregory and Fowlerville. I get to Dearborn and Howel once or twice a year and still miss that part of the country.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #30
Bruce Adams

We are dying to hear !
Did the "old timer" unscrew the can a bit to "unground" it, as recommended Wednesday? Did that permit spark?
Always check for points spark after screwing in the ignition switch connector "can".
How is it working now?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #31
nostalgicford

You Kinda got to know your car and figure out what works best....I really believe your problem is simple...your choking it way to long and flooding it and possibly fouling the plugs....clean your plugs and when you try to start it choke it for one revolution then release the choke and it should fire....then adjust the mixture till it sounds good
nostalgicford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #32
Bobs29ModelA

I think no matter which way you cut it, every car has its own "personality", including what it takes to start it in a reasonable amount of cranking time. My Tillotson-carbed '31 (in the short time it actually ran, that is) absolutely wanted to be choked every single time... regardless of whether it was cold, or hot (even after running for a while, in very hot weather). However, it started so well during that time that it was already actually running before it had even cranked a couple of revolutions....
Bobs29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote