Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #21
Bluebell

Default Re: Difficulties installing & torquing rear drum - Help!

First line in post #4, I mentioned a washer ...... Now that I have looked in a parts book, I will say again, "You need a washer" I think it is a fairly thick one.

Will a new nut (any one the right size) run on the thread easily?
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psogden View Post
Am attaching a photo of the end of the axle where the threads on the 5/8 -18 failed at around 160 foot-pounds. I have removed the 5/8” washer to expose the edge of the drum. As you can see, (bit a bullet) there are still good threads on the axle. This would appear to confirm that the bolt was not a Grade 8 quality or it would not have failed. I do notice that the end of the key way on the axle is showing (right side of axle). Should the key way be exposed? Is it possible that the drum is on too far? If I understand the theory of the drum to axle fit, seemingly it would be impossible to torque the drum on too far. Am I correct or--??
The keyway is normally cut into the threads some on these axles as a result of the cutter diameter they used, and the need to cut the keyway bottom flat enough in the area where the key normally fits.

After viewing this picture, which I had asked psogden to post here to get as many comments as possible on the condition of these threads, I believe these threads do have a good chance of surviving the specified torque IF an original Ford axle nut of the proper material and hardness is used. I had also suggested that the thick washer be removed when taking this picture so we could see the condition of the full thread length from the end of the drum snout to the tip/end of the axle.
Any additional comments by members here on thread condition, as seen in this picture, would be welcome.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-05-2016 at 07:11 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #23
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
First line in post #4, I mentioned a washer ...... Now that I have looked in a parts book, I will say again, "You need a washer" I think it is a fairly thick one.

Will a new nut (any one the right size) run on the thread easily?
The washer is part number 351505 and it 5/32" thick.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The washer is part number 351505 and it 5/32" thick.

Bob
The washer is not in question here. He removed it temporarily at my request so that all of the axle threads would be exposed for the picture posted in post #20.

Everyone, please go back to post #20 and take a look at those threads, and comment on what you think of their condition. Are they likely to withstand the torque spec if an original Ford axle nut, with good threads, and the correct hardness is used? Your opinion of axle threads is what we are seeking here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-05-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #25
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, JM I downloaded and enlarged the photo but I just couldn't see if the threads looked right, so I didn't comment. They looked at minimum, dirty, but the photo started to break down upon elnargement.

psodgen, I'd vote for more photos from lots of angles. Try Macro mode. Clean it first, maybe light wire brushing by hand.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
ford38v8

I agree with Jeff, can't be sure of the condition due to the presence of foreign material in the threads. Do not use a die to rethread, however. Pick out the sheared threads left from the nut, and wire brush to clean up.

BTW, I hope it wasn't you who used a BFH to remove the drum?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #27
psogden

Always use a KR Wilson drum puller. Will clean out threads further & post another picture. Appreciate all the replies.
psogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #28
psogden

In reply to Bluebell, I do have the washer & pulled off as suggested by John before taking picture. I ran a brand new 5/8 -18 nut from NAPA on the axle & it went in about 1/2 way before tightening some so I didn't force. I do have one of those Bluepoint "thread fixer" tools but am reluctant to use it.
psogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #29
Mart

A new, or good condition used nut should run down the full length of the threads freely. If the nut stops, it means the threads are either damaged or filled with crud. Bits of old thread or dirt. Give it a good wire brushing by hand and inspect it carefully using a magnifying glass if necessary. If I were you I'd buy a new nut if they are available locally and cut it in half. I'd put the nut halves around the base of the threads and clamp it on. I would then lubricate it and wind it off the thread while clamped tightly together. If there are any burrs on the axle this ought to straighten them up. Ok I know the axle is good quality and semi hard, but for the cost of the nut I'd give it a go regardless.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #30
Capt Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I agree with Jeff, can't be sure of the condition due to the presence of foreign material in the threads. Do not use a die to rethread, however. Pick out the sheared threads left from the nut, and wire brush to clean up.

BTW, I hope it wasn't you who used a BFH to remove the drum?
I noticed the BFH signs too...I suspect the person burned some calories on that brake job!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #31
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. psogden, A perfect photo would show the threads to the level of detail in the drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC2934.jpg (22.6 KB, 12 views)

Old 09-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
Capt Kirk

Maybe I'm missing something in this thread? Why not clean the threads really well, lubricate and run the appropriate die down the threads slowly, back and forth, until it
threads freely by hand. Get the correct axle nut and washer and tighten to the specified torque? If it holds, it holds...if it doesn't the it's axle time. The drum appears to have survived a violent history...the axle may have been a recipient of some of that violence as well. You know...how you use to screw the nut on to protect the threads and beat the shaft with a BFH. Am I missing something?
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #33
34fordy

I have a set of Little Giant dies which are adjustable--I would back the dies off considerably and thread the assembly onto the axle--Then I would tighten the dies to the axle and clean the threads from inside outward--Possibly in 2 or 3 steps--This way the threads would be true--Then use a nut that you know is good--If you can not get to torque spec without failure it would be time for axle replacement I believe--Don
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #34
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Maybe I'm missing something in this thread? Why not clean the threads really well, lubricate and run the appropriate die down the threads slowly, back and forth, until it
threads freely by hand. Get the correct axle nut and washer and tighten to the specified torque? If it holds, it holds...if it doesn't the it's axle time. The drum appears to have survived a violent history...the axle may have been a recipient of some of that violence as well. You know...how you use to screw the nut on to protect the threads and beat the shaft with a BFH. Am I missing something?
Good question. The reason you don't want to run a cutting die on it is because it has already been cut once, and to cut it again would remove material that should rightfully be straightened out, not cut out. I'd rather ruin a couple of new nuts straightening out the axle threads than to recut those threads. A previous post advised to split a new nut, assemble on the axle, clamp it tight, and run it back off. this is good, and there is also a tool available to do the same thing.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by psogden View Post
Am attaching a photo of the end of the axle where the threads on the 5/8 -18 failed at around 160 foot-pounds. I have removed the 5/8” washer to expose the edge of the drum. As you can see, (bit a bullet) there are still good threads on the axle. This would appear to confirm that the bolt was not a Grade 8 quality or it would not have failed. I do notice that the end of the key way on the axle is showing (right side of axle). Should the key way be exposed? Is it possible that the drum is on too far? If I understand the theory of the drum to axle fit, seemingly it would be impossible to torque the drum on too far. Am I correct or--??
Here are some closeup pictures of threads on several different axels that I plan to use in the next '35 rears I'll be rebuilding. I took these shots to show the profile of what I consider to be good threads on some good used axels. If you click on these thumbnail photos to enlarge them, then click and hold to get an option to open them in a new window, you can further zoom in on those threads to really see their profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160905_155922444(1).jpg (43.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160905_155701560_HDR(1).jpg (39.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160905_155808861_HDR(1).jpg (45.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160905_160048518(1).jpg (43.8 KB, 64 views)

Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #36
TagMan

Another thought: Are you positive your torque wrench is calibrated correctly ?
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #37
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Here are some closeup pictures of threads on several different axels that I plan to use in the next '35 rears I'll be rebuilding. I took these shots to show the profile of what I consider to be good threads on some good used axels. If you click on these thumbnail photos to enlarge them, then click and hold to get an option to open them in a new window, you can further zoom in on those threads to really see their profile.
John, Those are some of the finest threads I've seen on axles! I do see some galling on the taper of one, and some nicks on another. These conditions should be addressed before calling it a day: Remove the axle key, file down any nicks, and install the drum with a wheel (for leverage), using grinding compound on the taper. Tighten the axle nut only tight enough to snug it up while allowing the wheel to be turned by hand, thereby lapping the taper in. Remove, clean off the compound, and make the installation with the key. If this is done, there will be no need to retorque later, and your axle will remain tight and secure.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #38
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Another thought: Are you positive your torque wrench is calibrated correctly ?
My 14" cheater bar (pipe) is in perfect calibration, thank you.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #39
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
My 14" cheater bar (pipe) is in perfect calibration, thank you.
Wow Nicely Played! Always trust the elbow!

Seriously wish I could imprint that on the 30 or so Noobs I hand a Torque Wrench each Semester.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #40
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Think we are getting things a little mixed up here, JM was posting some examples of what he considered good threads would look like.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote