Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: Boiling Fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Just to add the fuel pump is possible the coolest component under the hood next to the carburettor ,because the fuel is replaced approximately every five minutes .The pump will refill maybe two to three times to the carburettors once .Someone might want to do a calculation given MPH verses consumption ,drolston should make sure his push rod is the correct length. Ted
Ted, The fuel pump sits back at the firewall with very little air flow. It funnels heat directly from the valve chamber through the breather and straight on up to the diaphragm. If you think it somehow stays below 212º because the coolant boils at that temperature, maybe you might want to do the calculations to back up your theory. Until then, we've got G.M. doing the calculations based on his real world experiments.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #22
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

OK 38 ,This may take a week or two .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #23
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
OK 38 ,This may take a week or two .Ted
The whole back of the engine and firewall get real hot. You want to do testing with the hood closed. The fuel pump gets the hottest, the aluminum intake manifolds almost touch the fuel pump getting the pump hot faster than the cast iron ones that have about 3/4" of clearance from the pump. Earlier Fords have hood louves and the fan mounted above the engine and run a little cooler in the back. 39 and 40's have the fan down on the crankshaft with the air hitting the front of the block with no place in the rear for the raising hot air to escape. The exhaust manifolds also contribute to the heat. I would drive the car 2 hours before testing. G.M.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #24
drolston

I love gadgets, especially if they can help me solve a mechanical mystery. I will get a laser pointed thermometer and see what's cookin' under the hood. One of the reasons I used 2" risers and phenolic spacers on the carbs was to cut down on percolation in the float bowls. (And to allow me to invert the progressive linkage so I could use banjo fuel fittings and retain the manual throttle control.)

By the way, what is the correct fuel pump push rod length on a 59A/B?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote