Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2022, 06:49 PM   #21
Rocky Rocket

Default Re: Looking at my first Model A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv7JNE9bQ0k&t=51s
Rocky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #22
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS Driver View Post
Question I’m bringing the car to Kentucky from another state I know about the VIN being on the block and will verify it matches title for myself before handing over cash but it has to have the VIN inspection from my sheriffs office. So has that ever been a problem for anyone here?

I dunno KY rules and this may be long-winded and nitpicky but it might help to understand how Ford numbered the cars.

VIN (vehicle identification number) has a standardized format and there was no standard prior to 1954. So a Model A has a serial number which technically is not a VIN because it does not match the standard format. When an engine passed inspection, it was stamped with a number. When it was installed in a chassis, that number was stamped on the frame. There may be numbers on the body but AFAIK they have no relation to the engine/frame number. To be "numbers matching" the engine and frame numbers have to be the same (the body has to be lifted to find the frame number). Sometimes the numbers do not match because the engine and/or frame has been changed.

The Model "A" Instruction Book (owner's manual originally supplied with the car) states "The engine number is also the serial number of the car." I think some states won't accept that but apparently KY isn't one of them. So if the engine number matches the title, you should be OK. Just in case, you might arm yourself with the Instruction Book when you have to car inspected - reproductions are available if you don't have an original.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-18-2022, 05:31 AM   #23
UPS Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rocket View Post
Interesting information I really liked the Vice Grip Garage video where he drove a Tudor 700 miles home and made it
UPS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:54 AM   #24
Ed in Maine

Congratulations on your possible purchase. The comments on the wood are excellent. The worst area could be above the windshield. This is not good because the screws that hold the windshield in the car go into the header above and to replace this header requires moving some sheet metal. Putting on a new top is not easy but doable.

Also, get in and out of the car to verify that you fit in it! 28 and 29 cars have too little space to swing your feet between the seat and door jam. People must have been smaller back then. Make sure you are happy with the seats. They are small in comparison with modern cars. I won a Victoria and the folding seats are only OK. After a four hour drive my back is killing me. I remember getting my first Model A (April, 1964). It was exciting. I now have three. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #25
UPS Driver

I was able to ride in and test it out tonight. The only thing that scared me was a rattle in the lower end. I’m aware there are shims that can be removed but don’t understand it can anyone help? Are there books I can get to help. I really want the car it’s a survivor for sure
UPS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote