Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: Not car related But.

If you could go a few feet extra on the length it will be a comfortable two car length ( for early Fords).

24' is a good comfortable two car width though.

Nice job. The steel one also. Nice job.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
md8810

This reminds me of the late George Carlin bit about "stuff". Great humorist.
Mark
md8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
TomT/Williamsburg

Been there and done this about 4 years ago - the garage was not even completed when it was too small! It's 30 ft wide, 26 ft deep ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010024.jpg (50.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1010023.jpg (47.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg P1010022.jpg (58.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1010021.jpg (109.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P1010019.jpg (89.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg nearly ready - 5.jpg (65.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg nearly ready - 4.jpg (69.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg nearly ready - 3.jpg (78.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg nearly ready - 2.jpg (79.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg nearly ready - 1.jpg (80.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 12-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
Vic Piano

Tom, that's outstanding! I love the roll-top desk. Can you come down to Florida and organize my garage? Please!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Jack 34pu

Wow, now we are into it. Garage space is probably the next best thing than the actual old Fords. Because of our neighborhoods over the years, we had to be very careful not to upset the neighbors, so design was very important. I first built a 24' x 38' carriage shed that had walk up storage above and many amenities. I've had to down size the design where I'm currently living. The attached is a small version, 12' x 19' of the original design. I can keep one vehicle and many parts above but no stairs unfortunatly. Because of code, this one is free standing on a stone base. there is a stone pad outside the barn doors for washing and repairs. Not only do I envy many of your old Fords but now I salivate at those 28' x 40' buildings some of you guys have in your back yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2050030.jpg (79.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Jack 34pu; 12-03-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: sp
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Tom, that's outstanding! I love the roll-top desk. Can you come down to Florida and organize my garage? Please!!!
Vic, if you think it STILL looks like this you are sorely mistaken - these pics were taken when and after I had just moved everything in and all my stuff (at that time) was somewhat in place. There was no spot for the rolltop in the house so my office area in the garage was a perfect place. I have a computer repair area (a little side work I do from time to time), TV, DVD player, sewing machine adn some of my grandkids old toys in there and it's getting kind of crowded in my office to say the least. The open studded wall in that office now has shelving with all of my die cast 40 and 32 Ford cars, wooden toys I made for my son that my grandson now plays with (and a few new additions we made together), my old Roy Rogers stagecoach and check wagon sets, and some old metal toys from me, my kids, and my wife's brothers.

Now the downstairs is absolutely choc full of stuff - I have my 32 roadster and 5-window project on one side with my 40 p-up project close to the bench and work area on the other. Once the p-up is together I'll have more working room - I should be back on that sometime this winter (famous last words - I've got to pull the gas tank on the roadster due to some kind of leak and put in another tranny in my 40 coupe as the T-5 keeps popping out of 1st gear - Grrrrr ....).

So, to answer your question, I'm always up for a trip to visit with you but I don't know if I could help you all that much!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #27
Vic Piano

Tom, you know you are always welcome at my place. I didn't know you were a Roy Rogers fan; he has always been one of my hero’s.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Tom, you know you are always welcome at my place. I didn't know you were a Roy Rogers fan; he has always been one of my hero’s.
Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Rin-Tin-Tin - I had more sets of six shooters I wore out, broke up, lost, etc, than you can shake a stick at. I also had the pre-req Davey Crocket coons skin cap too! The two sets, chuck wagon and stagecoach, are surprisingly complete with rubber figures, the chuck wagon utencils, extra wheels, chocks, rifles, trunks for the stagecoach. One of the few things my Mom didn't give away while I was in college because SHE liked them! Everything else including baseball cards, trains, cars and trucks, my six shooters, Davey Crocket stuff - they all disappeared. I have not seen the chuckwagon and stagecoach anywhere in years and years - my grandson loves to play with them, though!

Oh, by the way, to keep this car related the two sets were each "2-horse" powered -
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
Vic Piano

I've still got a Coonskin cap, (wore it at the Moonshine Festival two years ago)... I was a big Howdy Doody fan, actually was on the TV show (in the peanut gallery) in 1956 (I was 7 years old and got to ride the elevator up to the studio with Buffalo Bob, never did get to meet Princes Sumer, Fall, winter, Spring or Clarabelle but I’ve still got a Howdy Doody puppet, somewhere in the garage). I had a large collection of model cars that I built, as well as LP’s and 45's from working at a radio station on Long Island when I was in High School. When I got drafted, my brother (who was 10 years younger), destroyed all the models and my record collection...
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
bige386

I like how you built the mezzanine over head in you garage. Thats thinking. my garage will only have 10' walls but that will be fine with me.

Mart the measurements on my garage will be 24 deep and 30 wide. Which should be a good fit for my 46. I also have a 24x12 garage on the house that I can use if need be.

Thanks for all of the kind words.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #31
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige386 View Post
I like how you built the mezzanine over head in you garage. Thats thinking. my garage will only have 10' walls but that will be fine with me.

Mart the measurements on my garage will be 24 deep and 30 wide. Which should be a good fit for my 46. I also have a 24x12 garage on the house that I can use if need be.

Thanks for all of the kind words.
The mezzanine came about because of my desire to leave enough room for a lift at some point. I used 2x6x12s for the walls and did not use roof trusses but 4 2x12 collar ties and regular roof rafters. 84 lumber figured it all out as I just expanded on one of their kits. It really was only about $300 more total, inside and out, to go that high and the town said as long as I stayed underneath the height of my house (which I was), I was fine.

Just a thought on your 24ft deep - I've found that the extra 2 ft on mine @ 26' gave me room enough for storage along the back wall and room enough to maneuver an engine puller should I ever have the need to yank an engine (and boy have I ever!). 24' is just too tight - if you have the chance, consider going that extra 2'.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #32
Mart

I see it now, I was thinking 90 degrees out!

I love garage projects. My plot is so cramped I can't go any bigger. I already have 4 cars in there, I need a big tidy up.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #33
bige386

24x30 is as big as I can go in my back yard due to township rules and regulations. I really like the idea of going up with it tho. It really looks like it gave you a lot of extra room for storage and what nots and lord knows I have a lots of what nots. I think it will work out fine.

Mart I did find out that my plot is suppose to be 95 wide x 150 deep and after measuring its 92 x 150 so one of my neighbors is moving in on my property. I think I might have my land servade to see where I have lot 3 feet. I'm sure that will make one of my neighbors happy.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
TomT/Williamsburg

If you can't go out, go up - make half of it a tall ceiling and make the other half storage/office. The little Harbor Freight electric winch really gets a workout bringing heavy stuff up to the mezz .... makes the upper storage area easy to access adn no limit to what you can store there weight wise.

I also put in 4 skylights and one octagonal window (up high in the office area) for alot of natural light with only one window down just to satisfy code ....