Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: How do you keep peoples hands off your car?

After I had just dusted Minerva, my BLACK '30 Coupe, at Bad Buds' station, a mixed group of High Schoolers came by to buy JERKY & SODAS. They asked, nicely, if they could take pics. I tole them they could even stand on the running boards & sit on the fenders, IF, they had NO RIVETS in their JEANS!! It wuz GREAT ENJOYMENT, watchin' the cute gals turning around, to make SURE they DIDN'T have NO RIVETS, on their CUTE BUTTS!!!!!!! One CHICK sat with me & wanted to go home with me, to Meet Buster T. (lucky Dog)
Bill W.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: I will admit that I have no logical answer to this important question.

I brought my son and his new wife to their wedding reception in my 1930 Town Sedan.

We parked out front under an open porte-cochere.

All night long young couples and children were standing in line waiting to have their pictures taken while sitting in the Model A with the doors opened.

It was quite an attraction ..... never bothered me because I never tried to make it a Show Car.

Looks like people will always be people ..... usually even a "Don't Walk on the Grass" sign sometimes seems to be quite a powerful invitation to pounce on the turf.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #23
PepeLoco

I encourage everyone to sit in my car and I even will take pictures of them with their cell phones.

One time my eight year old saw some folks looking at our car from the restaurant table. He ran outside and told them to sit in the car. After the strangers got in the car one of them asked if the car was his daddy's. My son replied he did not know who it belonged to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRICELESS!!!!!
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I too allow people to touch the car. I have a fedora and the tommy gun and allow them to take pictures wearing the hat and holding the gun.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #25
DougVieyra

My 8"X12" hard cardboard sign (a club project) in 1920's vintage script says:

Subtle, but polite, it features a cartoon car character saying the words.

I have used it when the occasion seemed appropriate, for over 45 years. But as my cars are now 'drivers', I seldom have need of it, and enjoy showing and using the car as an 'interactive living-history' rolling 'classroom'.

- Doug Vieyra
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #26
Chuck Kuntz

The first show that I took my 31 pickup to, a woman dragged her studded purse across the front fender making a scratch about a foot long. She insisted she didn't hurt it. Another guy held his four year old son up to the driver's door which he started kicking with his feet. When I told him not to let the kid do that his wife said "He doesn't want us to look at his old car". I have a 57 Chevy that I take to some shows and I don't mind if people scratch it. I was at a airshow yesterday and people were doing the same bs to a 46 Piper Cub including turning the propeller. Guy said this was his first and last static display. Sad that some people have no common sense.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #27
WRA

I find most people very respectable. Probably a couple of dozen pics with Jr behind the wheel. Never really had a problem.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #28
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

I haven't yet participated in any gatherings where Joe Public is walking in and around the exhibition and this thread is a subject of concern. Sarah is not perfect and she has her share of imperfections. I would welcome anyone interested with a smile on their face to take interest by looking and even asking to sit inside but....it's those people that have not been taught respect for other people's property that I would be concerned about and....there are many out there today. No one has to be at an A event to see that, just in every day observance you see the disrespect for others, both for people and property. It doesn't take much to scare up, scratch or damage something that is very easy for that to happen to. So many people just don't have the same respect today as they did years ago and if you were disrespectful, you got your dad's back hand for acting stupid and embarrassing the family. I think the disrespecting would upset me more than the actual damage done. I've had people look all around while out and about, not one person touched anything, that's a good omen, hope it stays that way. I think I'd have a heart attack to see someone at 300 pounds open the door and try to get inside doing all kind of damage.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #29
exoilfld

Took my fordor to a festival and saw a couple of kids with popsicles in their hands get in. After yanking them out, they said "we only wanted to look." So, we decided to sit in the back seat. Wasn't long before an older man came along and climbed up on the fender to sit. We let well behaved children to get in and their parents can take pictures. But showing no respect for others property is not acceptable. The next week, we went to another festival and took plastic chain and stanchions. Took about 5 minutes before a woman with children climbed over the chain and started opening doors and getting in. The answer? Don't know. It is a societal degeneration problem.
exoilfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #30
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoilfld View Post
. The answer? Don't know. It is a societal degeneration problem.
exoilfld, this says it all.

I wonder if sometimes, after reading the posts about older people disrespecting the cars, if they aren't just jealous and want to inflict damage? That one about the jerk who scratched that arrow down deep in the car's paint about tops them all
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #31
tiger.1000

Fasten this to a trip wire ? We might not get away with this here in the U.K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt.jpg (67.4 KB, 3 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #32
caboose

Took our newly purchased 31 roadster to a car show in Mt Vernon, TX. One guy started rubbing a front fender and called his wife over so she too could see how smooth it was. One child could not see in the car; his mom put him on the running board so he could hang onto the door and pull himself up for a look inside. Despite requests to bring one of our cars to car shows in Mt Vernon, I doubt seriously that we ever will again.

And, we had a antique cash register show there. Despite having signs, DO NOT TOUCH, all over the place,we discovered that one of the docents was giving demonstrations. We removed the more fragile machines before the exhibit ended.

As for a solution; I don't think there is one. People don't seem to respect private property.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #33
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
exoilfld, this says it all.

I wonder if sometimes, after reading the posts about older people disrespecting the cars, if they aren't just jealous and want to inflict damage? That one about the jerk who scratched that arrow down deep in the car's paint about tops them all
That too...............it's all in the attitude with older people.....IMO. Like people can understand and appreciate and have a lot in common, others think you're rich and believe they have a reason to have animosity towards you.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #34
MrBruce

I have a number of little signs on our 31(please look but don't touch). For the most part people will ask, if they do I go out of my way to let them look, sit, play the horn etc. If I didn't have the original paint (which has nicks and scratches in it) and paid big bucks restoring it, I certainly would be more careful where I parked and watch it closer.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #35
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Seriously, I have never seen people at shows, screwin' around with cars. Once kids were throwing a football & one guy took it & punctured it with his pocket knife!
I once let a BLIND man feel all over my Black coupe, back at home, it was a JOY, to wipe it down!
Bill W.
I once took my 1930 coupe to let the first grade class I was student teaching check out. They were all very excited and interested. Afterwards every square inch of the car was covered with little finger prints. No harm done. I all washed off!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #36
eagle

One thing to remember. If you have a problem with people touching your car...PUT UP A SIGN!!!!! If you don't have a sign, then expect touchers/feelers. Nothing irritates me more than walking up to an obvious "30 footer" and looking respectfully in the open drivers window and having some old dufus holler at you from 20 foot away to get away from his car! If he doesn't want you looking at it, get it out of there, or at least put up a sign. Some people really love to show their authority and be a real jerk. My car, I love to have people show respectful interest in it. If someone gets too rough, a simple "be careful, this is my pride and joy" will go a long way.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #37
Lona

There seem to be two types of owners. Some with fully restored trailer queens are certainly justified in their feelings that their cars should not be touched. The beauty of these vehicles invites close inspection and a sometimes overwhelming desire to touch. Because of the growing lack of respect for other's property, these owners would be advised to remain close to their cars at shows to prevent them from being damaged.

On the other hand, those of us with 10 or 20 footers can be more permissive, letting folks touch and sit in our cars. Ours is a dying hobby and anything we can do to encourage the younger generation to have an interest in being custodians of our cars when we are gone is important. At shows, I welcome anyone to touch, climb in and take pictures.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #38
marc hildebrant

When I bought my car, it had a "look but don't touch" type of sign inside it.

I removed it.

I have had many people stop and look and then talk to me about the car. Its part of the hobby and helps to bring in new people.

To the original poster...if it's a problem for you, then do not put your car in public places. Even signs will not work for some.

The best thing to do, is if you see someone near your car approach them with a smile and engage them in the history and joy of owning an old car!

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #39
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Not to be rude but put a fence or a rope around it or leave it at home. If you are that concerned it takes the fun out of a show. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #40
1931 flamingo

I attend many shows, cruise nights, etc. Never had a problem. If I did, I can be very obnoxious and would let the offender know in very plain language what not to do.

I usually sit near the car, after looking at the others in attendance and encourage people to open the door(s) for a better look and let the kids sit inside.
I wish I had a dollar for every photo taken of the Quail AND the IMPEACH OBAMA NOW sign in the back window.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote