Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
DavidG

Default Re: Rear end is not level on a 32

Charlie raised a good point about the possibility of bent bumper brackets. It is not uncommon. A twisted frame between the center and rear cross members would be very unusual. A twisted frame rearward of the rear cross member would be easy to detect as the gap between the top of the gas tank and the bottom of the body would vary dramatically from side to side.

Also check to see that all four tires are carrying the same air pressure.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
JOANNEM

Default Re: Rear end is not level on a 32

[QUOTE=Charlie Stephens;850553]Joanne,

I sure hope rotorwrench is wrong about the frame being twisted. Any chance the garage is tilted and the car is straight? All kidding aside, how did you measure the two inches? If you measured at the bumper the brackets could be bent. Have you tried setting a level in the rear window to check? Are the fenders closer to the tire on the low side? Any chance there are two different sized tires? The 16, 17 and 18 inch Ford wire wheels look similar if you are not looking for them to be different. Even if they are the same size different manufacturers will make their tires different. Have you gotten under the car and looked for symmetry? Are the spring perches the same height above the ground on both sides? Are the spring shackles the same length? Is the overlap of the leaf on top the same on both sides? Are there any cracked leafs visible?

Charlie Stephens

Hi Charlie,
The guy working on the car gave me the 2" number. I bought all new tires last year from the same manufacturer. All of the other things I will have to take to my guy. I am afraid this may be beyond his scope & I will have to take it to another guy to look at.
Are old cars like boats? Always something wrong that needs to be fixed!
joanne
JOANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)