Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
51504bat

Default Re: Reliability of early V8 vs the 4 cyl as pertains to the AA/BB

I've had a couple of '40 1 1/2 ton big trucks.One I tried to use as a daily driver. It had an 8ba and a 3 speed Watson O/D auxiliary box with 19.5 tubeless radials and it beat me to death without a load. Also it was just too big for around town. I sold it and bought the '39 p/u I have now. That said if you still want a big truck consider brakes over speed. Hydraulic brakes came out in '39 and IMO that's the only way to go.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #22
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
My brother restored my grandfathers 32 Ford stake body farm truck. It had the four cylinder. Right or wrong, we always referred to it as a Model B. When my granddad hauled a load of firewood from the farm to the cabin, he had to back up the big hill, because reverse was lower than low. Or maybe because the gravity gas flow worked better that direction. It would get to 40 mph on level ground. He got a much stronger International truck in 1949, but used the Ford regularly until he died. It got overhauled about every ten years and finally ran out of cylinder wall. My brother had to replace the engine, but it drives like new now.

My brother can shift without crashing the gears; I have not mastered that art. Even so, it is a joy to drive such a purely functional workhorse with so much family history.
Drolston
You show a VA. address, but this picture looks like the high desert.
Just asking
Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 Ford Truck.jpg (7.4 KB, 274 views)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
rotorwrench

The 32 thru 34 big trucks could be modified with later running gear to get the speed up but it would be a lot of extra work and engineering to get it right. At least those models have a straight up and down radiator and a fairly simple design. The AA isn't as heavy a frame and there may be extra problems due to the distance between the radiator and the firewall. Original running gear is getting harder and harder to find replacement parts for.

Trucks are a bit harder to find drive and suspension parts for since there production numbers are limited when compared to cars & commercial pickups. A person would have to take care about what running gear to use on the old ones. It has to be practical in relation to durability and replacement part availability. A late Mercury 255 CID type motor or larger would give the better service due to the increased torque and horse power. I could get my Dad's old 49 F5 up to 55 or 60 but that was empty. When hauling a full load of wheat, 50 MPH was about it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #24
KDL

GB and Drolston, nice looking trucks.

Just to add, IMO, the cool factor of these trucks is off the charts, but the early ones are very crude. They're slow, ride hard, shift hard and stop hard. I can't imagine using one as a daily driver. That being said, I'm not sure why but I love my '35
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #25
alan_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
i have a 36 pickup, all pickups back then where 1/2 ton and then you had a Big Truck as i call them. they are 1 1/2 ton. i cant drive my 36 every day. it has a 411 rear in it with 7;50 16 tires. it will do 50 mph all day long. as far as fuel mileage, don't think about it , just put gas in it. my pickup gets about 10 mpg around town and a little more on the back roads. the brakes on it are all stock, mechanical. i will not drive on the freeway around hear, Santa Rosa, because the way people drive around
Brendan,

The property I'm trying to build on is in Lake County. Damn, building permits are a hair puller, and the fires in the past few years haven't helped. Anyway, I go up there occasionally and if it was possible to see your 36 pickup sometime I'd love that...

For a 1/2-ton I'm more flexible, but can't the ride be made more comfortable on the early V8s? I know many people modify them heavy, but I would like to keep something pretty much stock if possible. I can see the attraction in an old truck with a newer drive train and engine, but then you end up with a hot rod...I'm not really looking for a hot rod, if that makes sense, so interested in something like a 32-39 pickup. There's currently one down in Texas that doesn't look too bad of a place to start, but it needed quite a bit done to get it drivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I've had a couple of '40 1 1/2 ton big trucks.One I tried to use as a daily driver. It had an 8ba and a 3 speed Watson O/D auxiliary box with 19.5 tubeless radials and it beat me to death without a load. Also it was just too big for around town. I sold it and bought the '39 p/u I have now. That said if you still want a big truck consider brakes over speed. Hydraulic brakes came out in '39 and IMO that's the only way to go.
This is probably how I will go, with a pickup instead, and hope to replace my daily driver with it eventually. I won't need to replace it immediately, but would like to eventually, and especially after I can get a home on my property in Lake County. I still have to figure out what I want to do when I grow up...if I can wait another 9 years my current home will be paid off. If I can't find work, eventually I will need to sell my house to move up to the lake. It seems my future is headed to Lake County either way...time will tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
GB and Drolston, nice looking trucks.

Just to add, IMO, the cool factor of these trucks is off the charts, but the early ones are very crude. They're slow, ride hard, shift hard and stop hard. I can't imagine using one as a daily driver. That being said, I'm not sure why but I love my '35
I couldn't agree more...I love the looks of them. I was looking at some newer pickups like '40-'49, but started realizing I love the classic lines so much more...but I do like the early 40s (40 and 41) pickups before the bodies started to get larger. I just like the 30s styling that much more. It seems a '32-'39 pickup could be in my future.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered there is this one in SF, this is the type of truck I would like to get...but building permits, septic, foundation, etc...is taking a precedence at the moment.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...486143981.html

Alan
alan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #26
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Drolston
You show a VA. address, but this picture looks like the high desert.
Just asking
Bruce
My brother lived in Hillsboro NM at the time of that photo. Near Carson NV now. The truck was purchased in Harrisonburg VA and lived its work life there.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #27
STEVE O

If you don't mind to say, who was your grand father as I live 20 miles from Harrisonburg and am curious if I knew you grand father.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #28
Brendan

sure, send be a private message

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #29
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE O View Post
If you don't mind to say, who was your grand father as I live 20 miles from Harrisonburg and am curious if I knew you grand father.
Check PM
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #30
alan_d

Ok guys, just when you think you've changed your mind, you see something that looks pretty cool...but needs a bit of work. This would be a way cool truck, no question...

Says '38-'39.

I've exchanged email and text with the guy, it has been in his family for about 60 years.

It is all intact, but it needs a fair amount of work, but then again, most 80 year old trucks do.

Any comments on this 1-1/2 ton? What type of speed could I practically get out of it?

Would it be possible to drive this at 55 mph on the highway if I was to change rear end gearing?

Also, these tires look newer than what I see on a BB, although this may technically be a BB.

While it is a cool truck, he's asking $3500/obo. I was thinking to try and trade some stuff for it, if he would think about trade. I don't think anyone is stomping his door down, it does need a fair amount of work...but I think I could do it. I would probably rather have a 1/2-ton of same vintage...but still pondering over this none the less...

Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #31
alan_d

This is pretty encouraging, in the sense that it seems they had a speedometer that went to 100 in '39, even on this similar truck. This is almost identical to that truck I posted pics of above. Given Ford put a speedometer in it that would go to 100, I would think the truck safe enough. So, even if a gear change was needed, it would be possible for the truck to go that fast???

This truck has the slightly older grill, with the center portion that Vs out at the top. The one I posted pics of has what appears to be the '39 grill. Whenever they changed, they seem to have gone to the simpler version.

https://youtu.be/RItPsmB2qmM?t=50

This would be a cool project, but I must remind myself that it is a project, but that would be a cool timber truck...my gut tells me that would be able to handle the highway...even if 55 mph, I would be ok with that. What say some of you more informed folks?

Alan

Last edited by alan_d; 02-13-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #32
alan_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
i have a 36 pickup, all pickups back then where 1/2 ton and then you had a Big Truck as i call them. they are 1 1/2 ton. i cant drive my 36 every day. it has a 411 rear in it with 7;50 16 tires. it will do 50 mph all day long. as far as fuel mileage, don't think about it , just put gas in it. my pickup gets about 10 mpg around town and a little more on the back roads. the brakes on it are all stock, mechanical. i will not drive on the freeway around hear, Santa Rosa, because the way people drive around
Brendan,

Ditto on the way people drive up there, when I come back from Lake County over 175, as I approach Santa Rosa the traffic is always backed up, but the people drive like maniacs jumping in front of me...I detest that type of driving...maybe it's just my bad timing...I see it by where I live also...people think they deserve to be first.

What size V8 do you have? Seems the '39 I posted above has an 85HP V8. I was curious if that was newer than was in your '36 and for extra credit is that bigger than the V8 that was in the BB? I'm trying to figure out if this is what I hear people refer to as the "later engine" for the Early V8, if that makes sense. Was the difference in HP? Seems the BB was 75HP, but that's by memory. The AA was 40HP and I think the BB was almost twice. Maybe this '39 with an 85HP is a bit more capable?

I guess I'm fishing for a dually...LOL

Alan
Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #33
alan_d

Default Re: Reliability of Early V8 and Highway Driving

Annnd...I can't help but post this...I know this is sacrilege, mainly because I have a '97 Ford F-Super Duty, and it has a 460 in it...I am having a difficult time figuring out how he got a 460 in that '39, but there is no question in my mind that it would DEFINITELY go at LEAST 55mph...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...tbed-set-life/

Truth be told, I really would rather have it original if the '39 85HP was capable of running on the Highway.

Alan
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #34
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
Brendan,

Ditto on the way people drive up there, when I come back from Lake County over 175, as I approach Santa Rosa the traffic is always backed up, but the people drive like maniacs jumping in front of me...I detest that type of driving...maybe it's just my bad timing...I see it by where I live also...people think they deserve to be first.

What size V8 do you have? Seems the '39 I posted above has an 85HP V8. I was curious if that was newer than was in your '36 and for extra credit is that bigger than the V8 that was in the BB? I'm trying to figure out if this is what I hear people refer to as the "later engine" for the Early V8, if that makes sense. Was the difference in HP? Seems the BB was 75HP, but that's by memory. The AA was 40HP and I think the BB was almost twice. Maybe this '39 with an 85HP is a bit more capable?

I guess I'm fishing for a dually...LOL

Alan
i have driven my 36 over Hopland grade, 25 mph in second gear up hill and 25 in second down. you don't want to go down in 3rd because brake fade. i drove into pope valley , from Angwin, i could not stop in time for the stop sign bad brake fade. the motor in my pickup is all stock and its a 85 hp. i tell people if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, take a newer truck. just enjoy the ride in a old truck or car

Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #35
Brendan

in my opinion a Big truck will not go over 45 mph, they where built to haul big loads. also people did not drive as fast as we do today

Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #36
rosenkranswa

Just to throw my two bits in, I have a totally stock early '30 AA Stake. Its a lot of fun in the slow lane and will pull stumps in granny gear, but a speedster it is not - 30 is pretty much max going downhill with a stiff tailwind. Brakes are perfectly adequate. The Low/High auxiliary transmissions add another gear range and can boost the top speed a bit, as can a higher gear ratio on the rear end, but I don't think you're looking anything close to highway speeds.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #37
40 Deluxe

Quote:
This is pretty encouraging, in the sense that it seems they had a speedometer that went to 100 in '39, even on this similar truck. This is almost identical to that truck I posted pics of above. Given Ford put a speedometer in it that would go to 100, I would think the truck safe enough. So, even if a gear change was needed, it would be possible for the truck to go that fast???

This truck has the slightly older grill, with the center portion that Vs out at the top. The one I posted pics of has what appears to be the '39 grill. Whenever they changed, they seem to have gone to the simpler version.

This would be a cool project, but I must remind myself that it is a project, but that would be a cool timber truck...my gut tells me that would be able to handle the highway...even if 55 mph, I would be ok with that. What say some of you more informed folks?

Alan
This looks like a good foundation for your desired truck! Remember, a 1/2 ton pickup has the same frame and running gear as a car of the same year. How much would you haul in a car? (And still stop?)
I see that this truck has a later distributor so it is likely a later (59A) engine of 100 HP. I know in 1940 the 1 1/2 ton trucks had the option of the 100 HP Mercury engine. My grand dad bought one new and it's now sitting at my Dad's place. Maybe 39's had the same option.
This truck will give you much bigger brakes and suspension (will ride rough, though). Keep the flathead and work on the gearing. To be period correct, find an over/under Browning gearbox to add in the driveline. This will keep you busy shifting: 1st low, 1st direct, 1st over, etc. Then you can split the gears; for example maybe to get the best RPM you need to go from 4th under to 3rd over. A gear for every occasion! The challenge is to make every shift without any gear grinding!
There are later overdrive trans options, too.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #38
Bob C

Quote:

Alan
The Model A speedometer went to 80 mph but that ain't happening.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedo-decal.jpg (48.2 KB, 5 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #39
Jeff/Illinois

Alan, welcome to the fold! I think what you are planning is pretty cool, and you'll have a lot of fun doing it.

You MAY be money ahead in the long run, finding a truck already done. That would be cheaper than you doing a full restoration yourself, it's your call.

When you narrow it down, you can swap out the rear end for something with a more highway friendly gear ratio. Ford had those steep gears to haul heavy loads.

One of my favorites was the '35 ton and a half that the Three Stooges drive in 'Three Little Beers' watch that show, THAT will get you going!!

Good luck. We have a '36 pickup with the flathead and it is really a pretty dependable little truck, sure fun to drive!! Keeps up with 55 MPH traffic on the two lanes no problem, but I wouldn't take it on the Interstates where a lot of people run 75-80. Running down the two lanes I really don't get much traffic piling up behind me, not like when I drive the Model A at 40 MPH I get a line of cars following me in short order. Most people are pretty good, now and then you get somebody that gets upset but not that often, really. Our pickup has been changed over to hydraulic brakes and they work real well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlgCbQESu24

That video is cut down too much... this has a few better shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJaHbK2F2Yc

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 02-13-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #40
Cecil/WV

Top speed doesn't change much as you get in newer trucks. I have a '52 F-7 with a 278 cu in engine with a 5 speed, 5th gear being overdrive. It was a pumper truck when new. It runs great and cruises very nice and will run on the interstates at 55-60 mph as long as it is level. You are in 4th(direct drive) at about 50 mph on any grade. Head up grade and you are out of 5th gear and it is about 40 mph or less before you can downshift to 3rd. I wouldn't want to depend on it if my house was on fire!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151120_162551.jpg (114.7 KB, 2 views)
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote