Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Has anyone ever seen any NOS wheels?

I remember seeing a picture in one of the "How to Restore Your Model A" books of a wheel they cut hslf of the spokes off to show its strength. I do believe they ran it to test it...
If they were bale to drive on a wheel with only half the spokes, I must have been really testing them when I stared pulling the spokes off the rim. I found the wheel was noticeably "spongey" with just 3 spokes out of action.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #22
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Has anyone ever seen any NOS wheels?

I remember seeing a picture in one of the "How to Restore Your Model A" books of a wheel they cut hslf of the spokes off to show its strength. I do believe they ran it to test it...
Please see if you can locate that article. I am sure it would be of interest to many. It is truly hard to believe.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:09 AM   #23
john charlton

It is very seldom a 19" wheel cracks it is common for the 21" however maybe the larger diameter has something to do with it . At swap meets the 19" is way more common even though more 21" were made . When looking to buy a 21" I rotate it slowly to see if I can hear rust in the hollow rim if I hear it no matter how pretty the wheel I pass on it .

John in sunny Spring Morning still in the dreaded lockdown Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #24
Mad Mac

John: Those good 21-inch wheels are so hard to get hold of, at least here in NZ. If that was all that was wrong with it, I would buy the wheel, soak it in molasses for 2 weeks, pressure-wash the molasses out, dry the rim with a blow torch and then soak the rim in a rust-inhibiting penetrating oil. Might have to drill a hole in the rim to force the RIPO and paint in. Then that wheel would last for another 20 years.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #25
john charlton

Thanks for that information .Owing to English weather good "native" 21" wheels are very very difficult to find . Luckily prior to covid 19 i normally spend spring and autumn in sunny Chandler AZ since 2003 so over the years have found enough 21" for all future projects been very lucky at the Big Three swap meet in the Qualcom stadium San Diego

John in Suffolk County England .
Old 05-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #26
john charlton

Thanks for that information .Owing to English weather good "native" 21" wheels are very very difficult to find . Luckily prior to covid 19 i normally spend spring and autumn in sunny Chandler AZ since 2003 so over the years have found enough 21" for all future projects been very lucky at the Big Three swap meet in the Qualcom stadium San Diego

John in Suffolk County England .